Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Comparative Study on Corrosion Resistance of using Copper and Nickel Buttering Layer on Low Carbon Steel while Cladding with Austenitic Stainless Steel
Cladding has established itself to be a popular, versatile, easy and cost-effective way to enhance the corrosion/erosion property as well as mechanical properties of the job surface materials. Among the several methods cladding by welding is one of the most suitable methods preferred by the industries. Cladding by gas metal arc welding is becoming more popular due to its simplicity, user-friendliness and cost-effectiveness for last few decades. Cladding is basically a dissimilar welding process in which weldibility of individual material can be enhanced by another buttering layer on the base material so that it becomes as a sand-witch. Here in the present experiment 316 Steel is been deposited on E350 low carbon fabrication steel in three ways, firstly with no coating and then coated by Copper and Nickel respectively. Cladding is done in all cases applying gas metal arc welding process using full CO2 shielding atmosphere. Heat input was varying by altering welding current and torch travel speed within a particular range (almost the same for all cases) keeping welding voltage constant during the cladding of each type sample. Three types of clad samples were undergone to accelerated corrosion test in chloride atmosphere and the corresponding microstructure has been analyzed. Results indicate improvement in corrosion resistance of clad parts most in case of nickel buttering layer than that of copper buttering layer and so also for non-coated low carbon steel specimens.
Welding, Cladding, Buttering, GMAW, heat input, corrosion rate
- Nadkarni SV (1988); Modern Arc Welding Technology, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, India.
- Saha MK, Das S (2016); A review on different cladding techniques employed to resist corrosion. Journal of the Association of Engineers, India, 86(1-2), pp. 51-63. doi: https://doi.org/10.22485/jaei/2016/v86/i1-2/119847
- Verma AK, Biswas BC, Roy P, De S, Saren S, Das S (2013); Exploring Quality of Austenitic Stainless Steel Clad Layer Obtained by Metal Active Gas Welding, Indian Science Cruiser, 27(4), pp. 24-29.
- Senthikumar B, Birundha P, Kannan T (2014); Modelling and Simulation of Austenite Stainless Steel Claddings Deposition by GMAW, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 5, pp. 363-370.
- Davis JR (1994); Stainless steel cladding and weld overlay, ASM Specialty Handbook: Stainless Steels 06398G. (2020 May 15) Retrieved from https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/22833166/063 98G_Sample_BuyNow.pdf/152a4ca7-ca11-4a48-ad7d4c2b2c39bd16.
- Smith L (2012); Engineering with clad steel, The Nickel Institute, https://www.nickelinstitute.org/media/ 1605/10064_engineeringwithcladsteel2nded.pdf, accessed on 15.05.2020.
- Practical_guide (2014); Practical guideline for fabrication of duplex stainless steel, International Molybdenum Association, 3rd edition. Retrieved from https://www.imoa.info/download_files/stainless-steel/Duplex_ Stainless_Steel_3rd_Edition.pdf
- Saha MK, Das S (2018); Gas Metal Arc Weld Cladding and its Anti-Corrosive Performance - A Brief Review, Athens Journal of Technology and Engineering, 5(2), pp. 155174. DOI: https://doi.org/10.30958/ajte.5-2-4
- Saha MK, Das S (2018); Gas metal arc cladding and its anti-corrosive performance – a brief review, Athens Journal of Technology and Engineering, 5(2), pp. 155174. DOI: https://doi.org/10.30958/ajte.5-2-4
- Saha MK, Hazra R, Mondal A, Das S (2018); On corrosion resistance of austenitic stainless steel clad layer on a low alloy steel, Indian Science Cruiser, 32(3), pp. 20-25. DOI: https://doi.org/10.24906/isc/2018/v32/i3/175445
- Saha MK, Mondal A, Hazra R, Das S (2016); On the variation of hardness of duplex stainless steel clad layer deposited by flux-cored arc welding, Reason- A Technical Journal, 15, pp. 1-6. DOI:https://doi.org/10.21843 /reas/2016/1-6/158768
- Senthilkumar B, Kannan T (2015); Effect of flux cored arc welding process parameters on bead geometry in super duplex stainless steel claddings, Measurement, 62, pp. 127-136. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22486/iwj/2018/ v51/i3/175002
- Nouri M, Abdollah-zadehy A, Malek F (2005); Effect of welding parameters on dilution and weld bead geometry in cladding, Journal of Material Science & Technology, 23(6), pp. 817-822. DOI:https://www.jmst.org/ CN/Y2007/V23/I06/81
- Kannan T, Murugan N (2005); Effect of flux cored arc welding process parameters on duplex stainless steel clad quality, J. of Material Processing Tech., 176, pp.230–239. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.03.157
- Mondal A, Saha MK, Hazra R, Das S (2016); Influence of heat input on weld bead geometry using duplex stainless steel wire electrode on low alloy steel specimens. Cogent Engineering. 3(1), 1143598/1-14. DOI: 10.1080/ 23311916.2016.1143598.
- Saha MK, Hazra R, Mondal, A, Das S (2019); Effect of Heat Input on Geometry of Austenitic Stainless Steel Weld Bead on Low Carbon Steel, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series C, 100, pp. 607-615.
- Mondal J, .Saha MK, Das, Das S (2021); Investigation on corrosion resistance of 316
- Saha MK, Hazra R, Mondal A, Das S (2018); On Corrosion Resistance of Austenitic Stainless Steel Clad Layer on a Low Alloy Steel, Indian Science Cruiser, 32 (3), pp. 20-25
- Saha M K, Das, S, Datta, G L (2018); Corrosion Behaviour of 316 Austenitic Stainless Steel Cladding on Copper Coated Low Alloy Steel by Gas Metal Arc Welding, Indian Welding Journal, 51(4), pp. 73-81. DOI: 10.22486/iwj/ 2018/v51/i4/176795
- Dennis JK, Such TE (1993); Nickel and Chromium Plating, Cambridge, England: Woodhead Publishing Ltd. and ASM International,
- Winarto GD, Wardhani R, Syarif, R (2014); Analysis of Buttering Method on Mechanical Properties. (IPTEK, Journal of Proceeding Series) 1(1), pp. 109-113.
- Wang X, Yang Z, Wang Z, Shi Q, Xu B, Zhou C, Zhang L (2019); The influence of copper on the stress corrosion cracking of 304 stainless steel, Applied Surface Science, 478, pp. 492-498. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.apsusc.2019.01.291
- Maurya AK, Pandey C, Chhibber R (2019); Dissimilar welding of duplex stainless steel with Ni alloys: A review, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 12 (104439). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2021.104439
- Abdallah M, Jahdaly BAAl, Salem MM, Fawzy A, Abdel Fattah AA (2017); Pitting Corrosion of Nickel Alloys and Stainless Steel in Chloride Solutions and its Inhibition Using Some Inorganic Compounds, Journal of Materials and Environmental Science, 8(7), pp. 2599-2607
- Shen Z, Chen Y, Haghshenas M, Nguyen T, Galloway J, Gerlich AP (2015); Interfacial Microstructure and Properties of Copper Clad Steel Produced Using Friction Stir Welding Versus Gas Metal Arc Welding, Materials Characterization, 104, pp. 1-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2015.02.022
- Wen C, Tian Y, Wang G, Hu J, Deng P (2016); The Influence of Nickel on Corrosion Behavior of Low Alloy Steel in a Cyclic Wet-dry Condition, International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 11(5), pp. 4161-4173. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1452-3981(23)17467-0
- Saha MK, Das S (2022); Investigating The Effect of Nickel Buttering on Corrosion Resistance, Spektrum Industri (Manufacturing System), 20(2) DOI: http://doi.org/ 10.12928/si.v20i2.23
Abstract Views: 62
PDF Views: 1