Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Developing SKOS--Compliant Multilingual Thesaurus:An ISO 25964 Based Approach
Standards are being used for construction of thesauri from their inceptions. Previously thesauri were designed and maintained manually. But the advancement of ICT gives us the opportunity to execute the same through machine-readable environment. To incorporate thesaurus database electronically, the thesaurus standards also changed accordingly over the time. Concept of data model has emerged for efficient utili2ation of knowledge organization systems like classification schemes, subject taxonomies and thesauri. New standards are enable to guide in designing and maintaining thesaurus in digital environment and also make them interoperable among various platforms by using SKOS as domain model and XML as lingua fianca. The SKOS-compatible thesaurus standard also supports multilinguality in Unicode based data processing environment. ISO-25964 standards are designed in two parts for constructing and maintaining a SKOS complaint multilingual thesaurus
Thesaurus, Data Model, Thesaurus Standards, SKOS, ISO 25964, Tematres.
- Aitchison, J.; Gilchrist, A. and Bawden, D. (c2000). Thesaurus construction and use: a practical manual (4th ed.). London: Aslib, p2-3.
- Dextre Clarke, S. and Lei Zeng, M. (2012). From ISO 2788 to ISO 25964:the evolution of thesaurus standards for interoperability and data modeling. Information standards quarterly, 24(1): 20-26.
- Dextre Clarke, S. (2012). ISO 25964: the new standard for thesauri and interoperability with other vocabularies. Retrieved from eurovoc.europa.eu/.
- Hudon, M (1997). Multilingual thesaurus construction - integrating the views of different cultures in one gateway to knowledge and concepts. Retrieved from littp://content.iospress.coin/articles/infomiation-services-and-use/isu17-2-3-05
- IS025964-1:2011, Theasauri and interoperability with other vocabulary .Parti: Thesauri for information retrieval.Genevailntemational Organization for Standard,August 8, 2011.
- IS025964-1:2011, Theasauri and interoperability with other vocabulary .Parti: Thesauri for information retrieval.Geneva:Intemational Organization for Standard, MarhlS, 2013.
- Neelameghan, A. and Raghavan, K.S. (2005). An Online Multi-Lingual, Multi-Faith Thesaurus: A Progress Report on F-THES. Webology, 2(4): Article 19. Available at: http://wvw. webology.org/2005/v2n4/al9.html
- SKOS simple knowledge organization system reference. (2009). Retrieved from http://www.w3.orgnTl/2009/REC-skos-reference-20090818/
- Svenonius, E. (1988). Design of controlled vocabularies in the context of emerging technologies. Library Science with a slant to Documentation and Information Studies, 25(4): 215-227.
- Tematres (2015). Retrieved from http://www.vocabulaiyserver.coni/
- Tematres: gestion de vocabularios controlados (2007). Retrieved from ttp://r020.comar/tematres/wiki/doku.php?id= :en:Inicio
- Zthes specifications for thesaurus representation, access and navigation (2006). Retrieved from http://zthes.z3950 org/
Abstract Views: 254
PDF Views: 0