Open Access Subscription Access
Optimization of Inter-Domain Routing and Resource Allocation in Elastic Multi-Domain Optical Networks
At the national level, Telecommunications systems are generally organized into several interconnected autonomous domains. When transmitting data between interconnected domains, the blocking probability of network can be high due to the complexity of management and management policies at the domain level. Therefore, the question it raises is how to optimize inter-domain routing between different autonomous systems? The optimization of the inter-domain routing can be realized from several criteria related to the interconnection links, namely: the fragmentation rate, the energy consumed, the link quality, the transmission delay, the blocking probability, and the service quality. In this work, we propose an interdomain routing algorithm for multi-domain elastic optical networks, and a model for managing fragmentation in the network to optimize resources utilization. The implementation of inter-domain routing requires the construction of sub-topologies from existing domain topologies and parameters such as fragmentation rate, link quality, energy consumption contrary to blocking probability which used in literature. These different contributions (CA-IL, CIL-TFM and CIL-CEM) based on parameters have allowed to optimize the use of the network resources, to reduce the consumed energy as well as the blocking probability of the network compared to existing model in the literature through the simulations that have been conducted. However, the CIL-TFM approach provides a better blocking probability than other approaches with less resources used, and more energy consumed. In the future, we intend to integrate an end-to-end delay management model to achieve optimal inter-domain routing with the parameters already used.
Multidomain, Elastic Optical Network, Inter-Domain Routing, Fragmentation, Energy Consumption, Sub-Topology, Inter-Link.
- P. N. Ji, "Software defined optical network," The 2012 11th International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks (ICOCN), 2012, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/ICOCN.2012.6486241.
- Mayur Channegowda, Reza Nejabati, and Dimitra Simeonidou, "Software-Defined Optical Networks Technology and Infrastructure: Enabling Software-Defined Optical Network Operations [Invited]," J. Opt. Commun. Netw. 5, A274-A282 (2013)
- Y. Ji, J. Zhang, Y. Zhao, Development prospects of software defined optical networks. Telecommunications Science 30(8), 19–22 (2014)
- Yiming Yu, Yi Lin, Jie Zhang, et al. Field demonstration of datacenter resource migration via multi-domain software defined transport networks with multi-controller collaboration. Paper presented at Optical Fiber Communication (OFC) Conference, San Francisco, CA, USA, 28 August 2014.
- X. Liu, R. Gu, H. Li, Y. Tan, L. Wang, et al, Demonstration of Hierarchical Control for Multi-domain and Multi-vendor Software-defined Packet Transport Network. Paper presented at Asia Communications and Photonics Conference, Hong Kong, China, 19– 23 November 2015.
- Zhang J W, Zhao Y L, Ji Y F, Software definition of optical network technology evolution and innovation application. Information and Communication Technology, Lett.1, 10-16(2016).
- Tarik Moufakir · Mohamed Faten Zhani · Abdelouahed Gherbi, Ouns Bouachir, “Collaborative Multi-domain Routing in SDN Environments”, Journal of Network and Systems Management (2022) 30:23, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10922-021-09638-0
- Khan R, Kumar P, Jayakody DNK, Liyanage M. A survey on security and privacy of 5G technologies: potential solutions, recent advancements and future directions. IEEE Commun Surv Tut. 2020;22(1):196-248.
- Yang H, Liang Y, Yuan J, Yao Q, Yu A, Zhang J. Distributed blockchain-based trusted multi-domain collaboration for mobile edge computing in 5G and beyond. IEEE Trans Indust Inf. 2020;16:7094-7104.
- Sciancalepore V, Mannweiler C, Yousaf FZ, et al. A future-proof architecture for management and orchestration of multi-domain nextgen networks. IEEE Access. 2019;7:79216-79232.
- Baranda J, Mangues-Bafalluy J, Pascual I, et al. Orchestration of end-to-end network services in the 5G-crosshaul multi-domain multitechnology transport network. IEEE Commun Mag. 2018;56(7):184-191.
- Taleb T, Frangoudis PA, Benkacem I, Ksentini A. CDN slicing over a multi-domain edge cloud. IEEE Trans Mob Comput. 2020;19(9): 2010-2027. https://doi.org/10.1109/tmc.2019.2921712
- L. Liu, R. Muñoz, R. Casellas, T. Tsuritani, R. Martínez and I. Morita, "OpenSlice: An OpenFlow-based control plane for spectrum sliced elastic optical path networks," 2012 38th European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communications, 2012, pp. 1-3, doi: 10.1364/ECEOC.2012.Mo.2.D.3.
- Lei Liu, Wei-Ren Peng, Ramon Casellas, Takehiro Tsuritani, Itsuro Morita, Ricardo Martínez, Raül Muñoz, and S. J. B. Yoo, "Design and performance evaluation of an OpenFlow-based control plane for software-defined elastic optical networks with direct-detection optical OFDM (DDO-OFDM) transmission," Opt. Express 22, 30-40 (2014)
- L. Liu et al., "Dynamic OpenFlow-Based Lightpath Restoration in Elastic Optical Networks on the GENI Testbed," in Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1531-1539, 15 April15, 2015, doi: 10.1109/JLT.2014.2388194.
- Yu Xiong, Zhiqiang Li, Bin Zhou, Xiancun Dong, “Cross-layer shared protection strategy towards data plane in software defined optical networks”, Optics Communications, Volume 412, 2018, Pages 66-73, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2017.11.085.
- Jijun Zhao, Qiuyan Yao, Danping Ren, Wei Li, Wenyu Zhao,, “A multi-domain control scheme for diffserv QoS and energy saving consideration in software-defined flexible optical networks”, Optics Communications , Volume 341, 2015, Pages 178-187, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2014.12.027
- Jijun Zhao, Fengyun Li, Danping Ren, Jinhua Hu, Qiuyan Yao, Wei Li, “An intelligent inter-domain routing scheme under the consideration of diffserv QoS and energy saving in multi-domain software-defined flexible optical networks”, Optics Communications, Volume 366, 2016, Pages 229-240, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2015.12.041
- Li et al. “Inter-domain resource optimization method of software-defined multi-domain optical Network”, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking (2020) 2020:41 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13638-020-1662-3
- S. Esther Gandhimathi, A. Swarnalatha, B. Sowmya, “Spectrum Resource Utilization and Security Enhancement in Multi-domain Elastic Optic Networks (MD-EON) Using Memetic Algorithm", Wireless Personal Communications (2021) 120:139–152, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-021-08438-8.
- Deepak Batham, Shailendra Kumar Pathak, Dharmendra Singh Yadav, Shashi Prakash, “A traffic scheduling strategy based on cost function for differentiated class of service in multi-domain optical networks”, Optical Fiber Technology 60 (2020) 102337
- Arineitwe, Fred, Jonathan Serugunda, and Dorothy Okello. "Development of the Protocol for Inter-Autonomous Systems Routing in Software Defined Networks." In 2021 IEEE 11th Annual Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC), pp. 0414-0422. IEEE, 2021.
- Mahmud R. et al. (2021) Software-Defined Multi-domain Tactical Networks: Foundations and Future Directions. In: Mukherjee A., De D., Ghosh S.K., Buyya R. (eds) Mobile Edge Computing. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-69893-5_9
- Zhang, C, Wang, X, Dong, A, Zhao, Y, Li, F, Huang, M. The intelligent multi-domain service function chain deployment: Architecture, challenges and solutions. Int J Commun Syst. 2021; 34:e4665. https://doi.org/10.1002/dac.4665
- B. C. Chatterjee, S. Ba and E. Oki, "Fragmentation Problems and Management Approaches in Elastic Optical Networks: A Survey," in IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 183-210, Firstquarter 2018, doi: 10.1109/COMST.2017.2769102.
- A. Horota, L. Reis, G. Figueiredo and N. L. S. da Fonseca, "Routing and spectrum assignment algorithm with most fragmented path first in elastic optical networks," 2015 7th IEEE Latin-American Conference on Communications (LATINCOM), 2015, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/LATINCOM.2015.7430114.
- K. K. Singh, S. Prakash Singh and S. Sengar, "Fragmentation Suppressed RSA Algorithm for Elastic Optical Network: A Quantitative approach," 2018 IEEE British and Irish Conference on Optics and Photonics (BICOP), 2018, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/BICOP.2018.8658350.
- X. LIU, J. ZHANG, C. YU, L. LUO and J. SHEN, "Multi-domain Awareness Energy-efficient Routing Algorithm for Elastic Optical Networks," 2019 28th Wireless and Optical Communications Conference (WOCC), 2019, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/WOCC.2019.8770565.
- J. L. Vizcaíno, Y. Ye and I. T. Monroy, "Energy efficiency in elastic-bandwidth optical networks," 2011 International Conference on the Network of the Future, Paris, 2011, pp. 107-111.
- Nogbou G. Anoh, Michel Babri, Ahmed D. Kora, Roger M. Faye, Boko Aka, Claude Lishou. "An efficient hybrid protection scheme with shared/dedicated backup paths on elastic optical networks", Digital Communications and Networks, 2017
- M. Tornatore, A. Baruffaldi, H. Zhu, B. Mukherjee and A. Pattavina, "Dynamic traffic grooming of subwavelength connections with known duration," OFC/NFOEC 2007 - 2007 Conference on Optical Fiber Communication and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, 2007, pp. 1-3, doi: 10.1109/OFC.2007.4348731.
- Z. Xu, J. Huang, Z. Zhou, Z. Ding, T. Ma, and J. Wang, “A novel grooming algorithm with the adaptive weight and load balancing for dynamic holding-time-aware traffic in optical networks,” Optical Fiber Technology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 392–399, Oct. 2013.
Abstract Views: 41
PDF Views: 1