Open Access Subscription Access
Assessment of bryophyte diversity in selected localities of Assam, North East India: a quantitative approach
A study on the quantitative estimation of diversity in 32 selected grids in the bryophyte-rich localities of Assam, North East India has been carried out. Assessment was done in 160 macroplots of 10 m * 10 m, randomly established in the forest and within each macroplot, five microquadrats (10 cm * 10 cm) were placed at different habitats, viz. saxicolous, terricolous and epiphytic. A total of 80 taxa belonging to 29 species of liverworts under 18 genera and 10 families, and about 51 species of mosses belonging to 27 genera and 13 families were assessed. In the study area, Lejeuneaceae and Fissidentaceae as well as Cololejeunea latilobula (Herzog.) Tixier and Entodontopsis tavoyensis (Hook ex Harv.) W. R. Buck & R. R. Ireland were the dominant families and taxa respectively. Four species were new additions to NE India, and seven taxa were reported for the Assam region. The present study elucidates the bryophyte species diversity and the species richness, and evenness of the region, which can further define their importance in the community.
Bryophytes, Diversity Assessment, Evenness, Quantitative Estimation, Species Richness.
- Ludwig, J. A. and Reynolds, J. F., Statistical Ecology – A Primer on Methods and Computing, John Wiley, Toronto, Canada, 1988, pp. 107–202.
- Magurran, A., Ecological Diversity and its Measurement, Chapman & Hall, Princeton, New Jersey, 1988, pp. 1–179.
- Gimingham, C. H., Quantitative community analysis and bryophyte ecology on Signy Island. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Ser. B, 1967, 252, 251–259.
- Lee, T. D. and La Roi, G. H., Gradient analysis of bryophytes in Jasper National Park, Alberta. Can. J. Bot., 1979, 57, 914–925.
- Bates, J. W., Quantitative approaches in bryophyte ecology. In Bryophyte Ecology (ed. Smith, A. J. E.), Chapman & Hall, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, 1982, pp. 1–44.
- Krebs, C. J., Overexploited populations can collapse. In The Message of Ecology, Harper & Row, New York, USA, 1988, pp. 1–195.
- Wolf, J. H. D., Diversity patterns and biomass of epiphytic bryophytes and lichens along an altitudinal gradient in the northern Andes. Ann. Mo. Bot. Gard., 1993, 80, 928–960.
- Pharo, E. J. and Beattie, A. J., Bryophyte and lichen diversity: a comparative study. Austral. Ecol., 1997, 22, 151–162.
- Williams, V. L., Witkowski, E. T. F. and Balkwill, K., Application of diversity indices to appraise plant availability in the traditional medicinal markets of Johannesburg, South Africa. Biodivers. Conserv., 2005, 14, 2971–3001.
- Newmaster, S. G., Belland, R. J., Arsenault, A., Vitt, D. H. and Stephens, T. R., The one we left behind: comparing plot sampling and floristic habitat sampling for estimating bryophyte diversity. Divers. Distrib., 2005, 11, 57–72.
- Mandl, N., Lehnert, M., Kessler, M. and Gradstein, S. R., A comparison of alpha and beta diversity patterns of ferns, bryophytes and macrolichens in tropical montane forest of southern Ecuador. Biodivers. Conserv., 2010, 19, 2359–2369.
- Mokany, K., Harwood, T. D., Overton, J. Mc. C., Barker, G. M. and Ferrier, S., Combining alpha and beta diversity models to fill gaps in our knowledge of biodiversity. Ecology, 2011, 14, 1043– 1051.
- Hofmeister, J. et al., Value of old forest attributes related to cryptogam species richness in temperate forests: a quantitative assessment. Ecol. Indic., 2015, 57, 497–504.
- Pande, N., Ecophysiological studies of bryophytes in Nainital Hills. Ph.D. thesis, Kumaun University, Nainital, 1984.
- Tewari, M., Upreti, N., Pandey, P. and Singh, S. P., Epiphytic succession on tree trunks in a mixed oak–cedar forest, Kumaun Himalaya. Vegetatio, 1985, 63, 105–112.
- Awasthi, V., Pande, R. and Pande, N., Bryophyte Diversity on Erythrina arborescens in Nainital. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. India Sect. B, 2013, 83, 461–464.
- Bargali, R., Awasthi, V. and Pande, N., Ecological study of bryophytes on Plantanus orientalis L. trees in Nainital (Western Himalaya). Am. J. Plant Sci., 2014, 5, 3880–3888.
- Gupta, R. and Asthana, A. K., Studies on species composition and diversity of acrocarpous mosses at Pachmarhi Wildlife Sanctuary, Madhya Pradesh (India). Indian For., 2018, 144(6), 588–591.
- Singh, D. K., Singh, S. K. and Singh, D., Liverworts and Hornworts of India: An Annotated Checklist, Botanical Survey of India, Kolkata, 2016, pp. 1–439.
- Barukial, J., A Bryofloristic ecological assessment of Assam, India. Indian J. Fundam. Appl. Life Sci., 2011, 1(3), 98–106.
- Magurran, A. E., An index of diversity. In Measuring Biological Diversity, Blackwell Publishing, Victoria, Australia, 2005, pp. 1–215.
- Ellis, L. T. et al., New national and regional bryophyte records. J. Bryol., 2019, 59, 1–18.
Abstract Views: 53
PDF Views: 24