Open Access Subscription Access
Antibacterial and Phytomical Potential of Green Tea Combination with Natural Herbs against Diarrheal Pathogens
This study was performed in order to produce green tea with new formulation and to identify antibacterial, antioxidant against diarrheal pathogens. Totally five strains of E. coli were isolated from diarrheal pathogens. Identification was carried out using biochemical tests. Branded Organic Green Tea, Citrus lemon, Gingiber officinale, Hibiscus rosa sinensis, Brown sugar and Branded Honey samples were choosen for tea preparation. From the results it can be concluded that the Herbal tea extract (Hibiscus rosasinensis, Camellia sinensis, Brown sugar, Zingiber officinale, Citrus lemon, Honey) was rich in phytonutrients and have the high efficacy against diarrheal pathogens. The results suggest that aqueous extract would be very promising natural antioxidant honey as well as alternative antibacterial agent in therapeutics.
Citrus lemon, Diarrheal Pathogens, Gingiber officinale, Green Tea, Hibiscus rosa sinensis
- Colapinto CK, Arbuckle TE, Dubois L, Fraser W. Tea consumption in pregnancy as a predictor of pesticide exposure and adverse birth outcomes: The MIREC Study. Environ Res. 2015; 142:77-83. PMid: 26117816. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.envres.2015.06.020.
- Kou Y, Inaba H, Kato T, Tagashira M, Honma D, Kanda T, Ohtake Y, Amano A. Inflammatory responses of gingival epithelial cells stimulated with Porphyromonas gingivalis vesicles are inhibited by hop-associated polyphenols. J Periodontol. 2008; 79(1):174-80. PMid: 18166108. https:// doi.org/10.1902/jop.2008.070364.
- Bhatti SK, O’Keefe JH, Lavie CJ. Coffee and tea: Perks for health and longevity? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013; 16(6):688-97. PMid: 24071782. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCO.0b013e328365b9a0.
- Ferial T, Rezvani G, Mahnaz B, Maryam V. Impact of Green tea intake on clinical improvement in Chronic Periodontitis: A randomized clinical trial. J Stomatol Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018; 119(5):365-8. PMID: 29723659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jormas.2018.04.010.
- Yun J, Pang EK, Kim CS, Yoo YJ, Cho KS, Chai JK, Kim CK, Choi SH. Inhibitory effects of green tea polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin gallate on the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and on the formation of osteoclasts. J Periodontal Res. 2004; 39(5):300-7. PMid: 15324350. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600- 0765.2004.00743.x.
- Venkateswara B, Sirisha K, Chava VK. Green tea extract for periodontal health. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2011; 15(1):18-22. PMid: 21772716 PMCid: PMC3134039. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-124X.82258.
- Al-Hilali SA, Almohana AM. Occurrence and molecular characterization of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli serotypes from children with diarrhea in Najaf, Iraq. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2011; 29:383-8. PMid: 22120799. https://doi.org/10.4103/0255-0857.90171.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences. Annual Report (AIIMS) 1994. Available from: aiims/research.
- Nair GB, Ramamurthy T, Bhattacharya MK, Krishnan T, Ganguly S, Saha DR, et al. Emerging trends in the etiology of enteric pathogens as evidenced from an active surveillance of hospitalized diarrhoeal patients in Kolkata, India. Gut Pathog. 2010; 2:4. PMid: 20525383 PMCid: PMC2901208. https://doi.org/10.1186/1757-4749-2-4.
- Pomnha medicinal plants and their importance. Professional English for cultivation and processing technology of medicinal and essential-oil plants: 2014. 138.
- Farnsworth NR. The Role of Ethno Pharmacology in Drug Development. 1990.
- Clark AM. Natural Products as a Source for New Drugs. Pharmaceutical Research. 1996; 13:1133-41. PMid: 8865302. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016091631721.
- Mahendran Sekar M, Safwan N, Bin H, Afendi N, Nurul P, Binti F, Bandira D, Syahirah Z, Mohd B, hashim1, Izzaty E, Nor BM, Keeran N, Syafiq M, Abdullah B. Comparative evaluation of antimicrobial properties of citrus varieties available in Malaysia market. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 5(4):32-5.
- Perez C, Pauli M, Bazerque P. An antibiotic assay by agar well diffusion method. Act as biologicals et medicine experimentalism. 1990; 15:113-5.
Abstract Views: 55
PDF Views: 25