Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Role of Salivary Interleukin 1 in Chronic Periodontitis:A Review
Periodontal diseases are a group of inflammatory disorders that are caused by pathogenic bacteria in the sub gingival biofilm leading to association with impaired host immune response and connective tissue breakdown. There has been substantial evidence for the central role played by cytokine networks in periodontal diseases of which interleukin 1 has a significant role in periodontal disease pathogenesis. Studies of the immunopathogenesis of periodontitis and analysis of mediators in saliva have allowed the identification of many potentially useful biomarkers. This current review focuses on the role of salivary interleukin 1 level in chronic periodontitis
- R. P. Darveau. Periodontitis: a polymicrobial disruption of host homeostasis. Nat Rev Microbiol 2010; 8(7):481– 490.
- B. L. Pihlstrom, B. S. Michalowicz, and N. W. Johnson. Periodontal diseases. The Lancet 2005; 366(9499):1809–1820.
- Loesche WJ, Grossman NS. Periodontal diseases as a specific, albeit chronic infection:diagnosis and treatment. Clin Microbiol Rev 2001; 14:727.
- E Gemmell, GJ Seymour. Cytokine profiles of extracted from humans with periodontal diseases. J Dent Res 1998; 77 (1):16-26.
- Horimia M, Willberg J, Ruokonen H, Syrjanen S. Marginal periodontium as a potential reservoir of human papilloma virus in oral mucosa. J Periodontal 2005; 76(3):358-63
- D. T. Wong. Salivary diagnostics powered by nanotechnologies, proteomics and genomics. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2006; 137(3):313–321.
- I. D. Mandel. Salivary diagnosis: more than a lick and a promise. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 1993; 124(1):85–87.
- Preshaw PM, Alba AL, Herrera D, Jepsen S, Konstantinidis A, Makrilakis K, Taylor R. Periodontitis and diabetes: a two-way relationship. Diabetologia. 2012; 55(1):21–31.
- R. J. Genco. Salivary diagnostic tests. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2012; 143:3–5.
- E. Kaufman and I. B. Lamster. Analysis of saliva for periodontal diagnosis: a review. J Clin Periodontol 2000; 27(7):453–465.
- D. F. Kinane, P. M. Preshaw, and B. G. Loos. Host-response: understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms of hostmicrobial: consensus of the 7th European Workshop on Periodontology. J Clin Periodontol 2011; 38(11):44–48.
- H. E. Barksby, S. R. Lea, P. M. Preshaw, and J. J. Taylor. The expanding family of interleukin-1 cytokines and their role in destructive inflammatory disorders. Clin Exp Immunol 2007; 149(2):217–225.
- N. Buduneli and D. F. Kinane, Host-derived diagnostic markers related to soft tissue destruction and bone degradation in periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2011; 38(11):85–105.
- P. M. Preshaw and J. J. Taylor, “How has research into cytokine interactions and their role in driving immune responses impacted our understanding of periodontitis?” J Clin Periodontol 2011; 38(11): 60–84.
- C. S. Miller, C. P. King Jr., M. C. Langub, R. J. Kryscio, and M. V. Thomas. Salivary biomarkers of existing periodontal disease: a cross-sectional study. Journal of the American Dental Association 2006; 137(3):322–329.
- P. Y. B. Ng, M. Donley, E. Hausmann, A. D. Hutson, E. F. Rossomando, and F. A. Scannapieco. Candidate salivary biomarkers associated with alveolar bone loss: cross-sectional and in vitro studies FEMS. Immunol Med Microbiol 2007; 49(2): 252–260.
- Rachna Kaushik, Ramreddy K. Yeltiwar,* and Kumar Pushpanshu Salivary interleukin-1𝛽 levels in patients with chronic periodontitis before and after periodontal phase I therapy and healthy controls: a case-control study. J Periodontol 2011; 82(9):1353–1359.
- Rathnayake N Akerman S, Klinge B, Lundegren N, Jansson H, Tryselius Y, Sorsa T, Gustafsson A. Salivary biomarkers of oral health: a cross-sectional study. J Clin Periodontol 2013; 40(2):140–147.
- S.I. Tobon-Arroyave, P. E. Jaramillo-Gonzalez, and D. M. Isaza-Guzman. Correlation between salivary IL-1𝛽 levels and periodontal clinical status. Archives of Oral Biology 2008; 53(4):346–352.
- Nicolaos Christodoulides, Pierre N. Floriano, Craig S. Miller, Jeffrey L. Ebersole, Sanghamitra Mohanty, Priya Dharshan et al. Labon-a-chip methods for point-of-care measurements of salivary biomarkers of periodontitis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2007; 1098:411–428.
- R. P. Teles, V. Likhari, S. S. Socransky, and A. D. Haffajee. Salivary cytokine levels in subjects with chronic periodontitis and in periodontally healthy individuals: a cross-sectional study. J Periodontal Res 2009; 44(3):411–417.
- Christoph A. Ramseier, Janet S. Kinney, Amy E. Herr,Thomas Braun, James V. Sugai, Charlie A. Shelburne, Lindsay A. Rayburn, Huu M. Tran, Anup K. Singh, and William V. Giannobile. Identification of pathogen and host-response markers correlated with periodontal disease. J Periodontol 2009; 80(3): 436– 446.
Abstract Views: 16
PDF Views: 0