Polymorphism of IL-4 (-590) and Il-6 (-174) is not Associated with Chronic Periodontitis in Babylonian Population
Aim: Study was aimed to find the relationship between chronic periodontitis with polymorphism of IL-4 and IL-6 genes and their concentration in saliva and serum.
Material and method: the study was included patients with chronic periodontitis (60 subjects) and healthy control (40 subjects), bacteria associated with both subjects have been isolated. The genetic variation in the sequence of the IL-4 and IL-6 has been detected by single strand conformation polymorphism (SSCP) technique. the level of IL-4 and IL-6 in saliva and serum was measured by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
Results: The total viable count of bacteria that collect from patients with chronic periodontitis and healthy control showed that There was significant differences (increase in the number of bacteria) between study groups in the aerobic bacteria , the number of bacteria in healthy groups was 3.1×103±39.15 CFU/ml, and in patient was 2.4×105 ±65.93 CFU/ml P<0.001 and the anaerobic bacteria in healthy and patient was 2.3×102±22.61 CFU/ml and 1.2×104±45.95 CFU/ml respectively (P≤ 0.05).The most common bacteria isolated in this study were P. Porphyromonasgingivalis, P .Prevotellaintermedia, Tannerellaforsythensis, Peptostreptococcus spp., Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans, Streptococcus spp. And Staphylococcus aureus. SSCP technique showed that there weren’t any sequence variation between patients with periodontitis and healthy control subjects in the sequence of IL-4 and IL-6 genes in Babylonian population.
Conclusion: Polymorphism of IL-4 and IL-6 is not associated with chronic periodontitis in Babylonian population.
- Armitage, G. C. (1999) Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Annals of Periodontology 4,1–6.
- Nares, S. (2003) The genetic relationship to periodontal disease. Periodontology 200032, 36–49.
- Papapanou, P. N. (1999) Epidemiology of periodontal diseases: an update. J. Inter. Academy of Periodontology 1,110–116.
- Heitz-Mayfield, L. J. (2005) Disease progression: identification of high-risk groups and individuals for periodontitis. J. Clin. Periodontology 32 (Suppl. 6), 196–209.
- Kinane, D. F. and Hart, T. C. (2003) Genes and gene polymorphisms associated with periodontal disease. Critical Reviews in Oral Biology Medicine 14, 430–449.
- Borrell, L. N. and Papapanou, P. N. (2005) Analytical epidemiology of periodontitis .J. Clinical Periodontology 32(Suppl. 6), 132–158.
- Michalowicz, B. S., Diehl, S. R., Gunsolley, J.C., Sparks, B. S., Brooks, C. N., Koertge, T.E., Califano, J. V., Burmeister, J. A. and Schenkein, H. A. (2000) Evidence of a substantial genetic basis for risk of adult periodontitis .J. Periodont. 71, 1699–1707.
- Al-waeli A. Z. J. and Abd F. J. (2016). New term (SNPs-genotypes combination principal) gives better understanding about effect of SNPs on the concentration of IL-1β and TNF α in clinical samples of periodontitis. J. Chem. and Pharma. Scien.9(4) 3239-3244.
- Brown M.A. and Hural J.(1997). Functions of IL-4 and control of its expression. Crit Rev Immunol; 17: 1–32.
- Klein, W., Tromm, A., Griga, T., Fricke, H., Folwaczny, C., Hocke, M., Eitner, K., Marx,M. and Epplen, J. T. (2001) The polymorphism at position _174 of the IL-6 gene is not associated with inflammatory bowel disease .European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 13, 45–47.
- Taylor, J. J., Preshaw, P. M. and Donaldson, P. T.(2004) Cytokine gene polymorphism and immunoregulation in periodontal disease. Periodontology 2000 35, 158–182.
- Hulkkonen, J., Pertovaara, M., Antonen, J., Pasternack, A. and Hurme, M. (2001) Elevatedinterleukin-6 plasma levels are regulated by the promoter region polymorphism of the IL6gene in primary Sjogren’s syndrome and correlate with the clinical manifestations of the disease. Rheumatology (Oxford) 40, 656–661.
- D’Aiuto, F., Parkar, M., Andreou, G., Brett, P.M., Ready, D. and Tonetti, M. S. (2004) Periodontitis and atherogenesis: causal association or simple coincidence? J .Clin. Periodonto. 31, 402–411.
- Joshi V.M. and Vandana K.L.(2007). The detection of eight putative periodontal pathogens in adult and rapidly progressive periodontitis patients. Indian J Dent Res; 18:6-10.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards.(NCCLS): H3-A5.(2003).Procedures for the Collection of Diagnostic Blood Specimens by Venipuncture., 5th Edition.
- Vining, R.F., McGinley, R., and Symons, R.G. (1983). Hormones in saliva: Mode of entry and consequent implications for clinical interpretation. ClinChem, 29(10), 1752-1756.
- Kugler J., Hess M. and Haake D. (1992).Secretion of salivary immunoglobulin A in relation to age, saliva flow, mood states, secretion of albumin, cortisol, and catechol amines in saliva. J ClinImmunol, 12(1), 45-49.
- MacFaddin, J.F. (2000).Biochemical Tests for Identification of Medical Bacteria.3rd ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, USA.
- Forbes, B.A.; Daniel, F.S. and Alice, S.W.(2007).Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic Microbiology. 12thed., Mosby Elsevier company. USA.
- Prescott, H. and Klein's (2004).Microbiology 6th edition published by McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math Hardcover.
- Tellapragada C., Eshwara V.K., Acharya S., Bhat P., Kamath A., Vishwanath S., Mukhopadhyay C. (2014). Prevalence of Clinical Periodontitis and Putative Periodontal Pathogens among South Indian Pregnant Women. Inter. J. Microb. Volume, Article ID 420149 .1-5.
- Fitzgerald KA, O‘Neill LAJ, Gearing AJH, Callard RE (2001).The cytokine factsbook, 2nd ed., Academic Press, London, 515 pp.
- Fishman D, Faulds G, Jeffery R, Mohamed-Ali V, Yudk in JS, Humphries S, Woo P. (1998). The effect of novel polymorphisms in the interleukin-6 (IL-6)gene on IL-6 transcription and plasma IL-6 levels, and an association with systemic-onset juvenile chronic arthritis. J. Clin. Invest, 102:1369-1376.
- Orita, M., H. Iwahana, K. Hayashi and T. Sekiya. 1989. Detection of polymorphisms of human DNA by gel electrophoresis as single-strand conformation polymorphisms. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 86: 2766-2670.
- Darveau, R. P.(2010) Periodontitis: a polymicrobial disruption of host homeostasis, Nat Rev Microbiol 8, 481-490.
- Yamanishi Y. and Karasuyama H. (2016). Basophil-derived IL-4 plays versatile roles in immunity. SeminImmunopathol. 38(5):615-622.
- Holla I. L., Fassmann A., Augustin P., Halabala T., Znojil V., and Vanek J. (2008). “The association of interleukin-4 haplotypes with chronic periodontitis in a Czech population,” J. Periodont. vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 1927–1933.
- Laine M.L., Loos B.G. and Crielaard W.(2010). Gene polymorphisms in chronic periodontitis. Int. J Dent. 1-22.
- Tanaka T., Narazaki M., Masuda K, and Kishimoto T. (2016). Regulation of IL-6 in Immunity and Diseases. Adv Exp Med Biol. 941:79-88.
Abstract Views: 44
PDF Views: 0