Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Casein Composites as Alternative Biodegradable Polymers
In the past few decades, research has been shifted from monolithic materials to fibre-reinforced polymeric materials. These composite materials now dominate the aerospace, leisure, automotive, construction and sporting industries. The natural fibres are biodegradable and they don’t cause any type of environmental pollution when compared with glass fibres. Fibre reinforced composites are prepared using Ecmalon 4411 resin, cobalt octate as an accelerator, methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (MEKP) as catalyst, sisal and tadi fibres. Different samples are prepared with varying number of fibres, % of casein, soaking time, % of alkali. Form hardness and tensile strengths, sisal fibres and tadi fibres reinforced composites are having high hardness compared with simple reinforced composites. The treated fibres reinforced composites with and without casein are having high hardness compared with untreated fibre reinforced composites. With an increase in the number of fibres, hardness of the composites also increased for treated and untreated fibres reinforced composites. With an increase in amount of casein, the hardness also increased for both treated and untreated fibre reinforced composites.
Biodegradable, Casein, Composites, Sisal, Tadi.
- Angela Casarica et al. New Bioactive Composites Based on Bacterial Cellulose and Natural Products. Scientific Bulletin. Series F. Biotechnologies. 2016; 20: 343-346.
- Chetan Patel M et al. Poly Lactic Glycolic Acid (PLGA) As Biodegradable Polymer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(2): 353-360.
- Deepa K, Jaisankar V. Synthesis and Characterization of certain Biodegradable Xylitol based Polyesters. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2016; 9(12): 679-682.
- Arora Neha et al. Review on Casein Production and Casein Based Nano-Formulations. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2012; 3(1): 41-45.
- Praveen Kumar et al. Poly (ether ether) ketone/ Poly (ether) imide Nanocomposites. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(6): 703-706.
- Bourtoom T. Edible Protein Films: Properties Enhancement. International Food Research Journal. 2009; 16: 1-9.
- Jeba Jeevitha RS et al. Preparation and Characterization of Micro Crystalline Cellulose Fiber Reinforced Chitosan based Polymer Composites. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2015; 8(7): 453-458.
- Hamad Kotiba et al. Biodegradable Polymer Blends and Composites: An Overview. Polymer Science-Series A4. 2014; 56(6): 81.
- Nikhil Shirsat D et al. Development of biodegradable polysaccharide by modified process from sea desecrates and its proximate analysis. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(8): 1078-1083.
- Jin Gu, Jeffrey M Catchmar. Polylactic Acid Composites Incorporating Casein Functionalized Cellulose Nanowhiskers. Journal of Biological Engineering. 2013; 3(7): 31.
- Dibyaranjan Mekap, Sanjay Palsule. Secondary Fiber / Recycled Polypropylene Composites. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(5): 655-658.
- Malathi AN et al. Recent Trends of Biodegradable Polymer: Biodegradable Films for Food Packaging and Application of Nanotechnology in Biodegradable Food Packaging. Current Trends in Technology and Science. 2014; 3(2): 73-79.
- Arun Kumar et al. Studies of natural rubber /montmorillonite nanocomposites. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(5): 623-627.
- Lacroix M et al. Use of G-irradiation to Produce Films from Whey, Casein and Soya Proteins: Structure and Functionals Characteristics. Radiation Physics and Chemistry. 2002; 63: 827–832.
- Ambuja Samantaray et al. Synthesis and Characterizations of PP Grafted Gelatin Using Ce(IV)-Glucose Redox System and Study of its Biodegradability. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(2): 205-214.
- Sandra Muizniece-Brasava, Lija Dukalska. Impact of Biodegradable PHB Packaging Composite Materials on Dairy Product Quality. LLU Raksti. 2006; 16(311): 79-87.
- Begila David S, Allen Gnana Raj G. Synthesis, Characterization and Biodegradable Studies of Oil Based Polymers from Triethyleneglycoldimethacrylate and Vinyl acetate. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(7): 1092-1096.
- Tassawuth Pojanavaraphan et al. Development of Biodegradable Foam like Materials Based on Casein and Sodium Montmorillonite Clay. Bio macromolecules. 2010; 11(10): 2640–2646.
- Tchmutin I et al. Study on Biodegradation of Protein Filled Polymer Composition Using Dielectric Measurement. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2004; 86(3): 411-417.
- Begila David S, Allen Gnana Raj G. Development Studies of Biodegradable Pressure Sensitive Adhesives from Groundnut Oil and Butylmethacrylate. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010; 3(1): 40-46.
Abstract Views: 5
PDF Views: 0