Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Assessment of Water Quality Status of Euphrates from Hindiya Dam to Mishkab Regulator–Iraq
The present study focus on the assessment of monthly changes in water quality of the Euphrates River from Hindiya Dam to Mishkab regulator Physico-chemical properties of water in Euphrates River were studied throughout six months (January to June)of 2016.The current study included measurements of pH, EC, air and water temperature, total alkalinity, total hardness, Ca, Mg, turbidity, salinity, TDS, TSS, DO, BOD, Na ,K, and Chloride in 14 Sites, the Water Quality Index (WQI) was calculated. The results revealed that the averages of pH values of both Sites ranged between (7.39-8.24).Meanwhile, values of salinity and total hardness were high in Site (8) in which the highest was during January up to 1320 mg/l, whereas, concentrations of other parameters varied during the whole study period. The value of dissolved oxygen, on the other hand, recorded the highest value in Site4 during May reading 12.4 mg/, while the biological oxygen demand recorded the lowest value, 0.3 mg/l., in Site (6) during April. The WQI values obtained were high in February monthcompared to that of other months of the study period. The SAR values varied from 3.2 to 7.4 during study period. The results of percentage sodium in the water body that ranged between (28 to 55) %. Concludes the water quality assessment ofEuphrates River shown that the physico-chemical quality of the water was recorded high values in Sites (6,8,10).The water quality index determined show that the water of Euphrates River is ‗Unfit‘for drinking and appropriate for irrigation relying on adsorption ratio of sodium and percentage of sodium.
Water, Euphrates, Hindiya, Quality, Assessment.
- Rzoska, J; Talling, J.F. and Banister, K.E. Euphrates and Tigris, Mesopotamian ecology and destiny, monographiabiologicae. Vol. 38, pub. By The Hague, Boston-London. 1980
- Al-Saadi, H.A. Aquatic ecology in Iraq and its polluted source. Proceeding of the Arabic conference scientific research and its role in environmental protection from pollution. 1994. P. 59-88, Edited by H.A. Al-Saadi, Sept., 21-28. Damascus, Syria.
- Al-Tamimi, A.A.M. Ecological study on Razazalake. M.Sc thesis, College of Science, University of Baghdad.(Arabic). 1992
- Hassan, F.M. A Limnological study on Hilla river. Al- Mustansiriya, J.sci.8 (1) 1997: 22-30.
- Alzurfi, S.K. Possibility Environmental Effects Of Industrial Water Draining Of Kufa Leather. Magazin of Alkufa University ForBiolog; 2012: 4(2).
- Arain, M.B., Kazi, T.G, Jamali et al, Evaluation of physic-chemical parameters of Manchar lake water and their comparision with other global published values. J. Anal. Environ. Chem, 2. 2008
- Rahi, K.A. and Halihan, T. Changes in the salinity of the Euphrates River System in Iraq. Regional Environment Change, 2010.10, 27-35.doi:10.1007/s10113-009-0083-y
- Jones, C., Sultan, M., Yan, E., Milewski, A., Hussein, M, Al-Dousari, A., Al-Kaisy, S. and Becker, R. Hydrologic impacts of engineering projects on the Tigris Euphrates System and its Marshlands. Journal of Hydrology, 353, 59-75. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2008.01.029.
- Lumb, A.; Doug H. and Tribein. S. Application of CCME Water quality index to Monitor Water Quality: A case of the Mackenzie River Basin, Canada. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 113: 2006.411-429.
- Turkstat (Statistical Institute in Turkey). Population Statistics. A vailable at: http://www.turkstat. Gov.tr/VeriBilgi. Do? tb_id=39and ust_id=11.2010.Accessed on September 21, 2011.
- Central Bureau of Statistics in the Syrian Arab Republic. General Census, Population in the Areas and Suburbs 2004. Available at: http://cbssyr.org/General%20 census/census%202004/pop-man.pdf.2005Accessed on October 15, 2010.
- Central Organization for Statistics in Iraq. Annual Abstract for Statistics 2008-2009. Available at: http://www. iraqcosit.org/english/section_2.php. 2010. Accessed on July 14, 2011.
- Al-Haidarey M. J. Duirnal Variation of heavy metals in Al-Kufa River / Najaf Iraq, 10th conference of biogeochemistry of trace element, Maxico. 2010
- APHA (American public Health Association) Standard methods for examination of water and wastewaters, 2th E.d. Washington DC, U.S.A. 2003
- Lind, G. T. Handbook of common methods in Limnology, 2 nd ed., London. 1979
- Naik, S. and K.M. Purohit. Studies on water quality of river Brahmani in Sundargarh district, Orissa. Indian J. Environment. Ecoplanning,2001.5(2) pp. 397-402
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for Drinking Water. Quality‖ 3Edn.Volume1.Geneva.2004.www.who.int/water-sanitation–health/publications/facts2004/en/idex.htmpp.188.
- Mishra, P C. and R.K Patel ―Studyof the Pollution Load in the Drinking Water of Rairangpur, a Small Tribal Dominated Town of North Orissa.2 Indian Environment and Ecoplaning, 5(2). 2001. pp .293-298.
- Tiwari.T.N. and Mishra. M.―APreliminaryAssignment of Water Quality Index of Major Indin Riversr‖ Indian J.Env. Prot., 5(4). 1985pp 276 -279.
- Krishnan, J.S. Rambabu and C.Rambabu ―Studies onWaterquality Parameter of Bore Waters of Reddigudum Mandal'' Ind J.Env.Prot. 16(2), 1995. pp. 91-98.
- Ott, W.R ―Environmental Indices. Theory and Practic‖ Ann. Arbor Sciennce Publishers, Michigon.1978.
- Todd, D. K. Ground water hydrology, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons 1995; 267-310.
- Raghunath, H.M. Ground water, 2nd Ed., Wiley Eastern Ltd., New Delhi, India.1987
- Frondorf, L. An Investigation of the Relationship between Stream Benthic Macroin vertebrate Assemblage Conditions and Their Stressors. Unpublished M.S. Thesis. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia. 169 pp.2001
- Al-Saffar, M. ―Interaction between the Environmental Variables and Benthic Macroin vertebrates Community Structure in Abu Zirig Marsh, Southern Iraq,‖ M.S. thesis, College of Science, University of Baghdad, Iraq, 2006.
- Hussein NA, Taher MA Effect of daily variations, diurnal fluctuations and tidal stage on water parameters of East Hammar marshland, Southern Iraq. Marsh Bulletin 2.2007: 32–42.
- Florida Lakewatch. A Beginner's Guide to Water Management—Nutrients. University of Florida / Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.2004
- Hassan, F. M. Limn logical features of Diwanyia river, Iraq. J. of Um-Salama for Science, 1 (1).2004: 119-124.
- Al-Obaidi, G.S.A Astudy of phytoplankton community in Abu Zirig Marsh, Southerner Iraq, MSC Thesis University of Baghdad, Iraq.2006
- Hassan F.M., Saleh, M. M and Salman, J. M. Quantitative and qualitative variability of Epiphytic algae on three aquatic plants on Euphrates River, Iraq. Iraqi J. of Aqua, 4 (1).2007; 1-16.
- Alzurfi, S. K. Ecological Study of Ibn Najim Marsh Plants in Central Mesopotamia Valley- Iraq. Ph.D thesis College of Science University of Kufa. . 2010
- Alzurfi, S.K. Seasonal Variation of Phytoplankton Biomass as Chlorophyll a and its Relation to Iron and Manganese in Ibn-Najem Marsh, Iraq. J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 2016, 8(4). 2016:1393-1400.
- Al-Essa, S. A. A. An ecological study of aquatic plants and benthic algae in the Shatt Al-Arab. Ph. Dthesis, College of Agriculture. University of Basra.(Arabic).2004
- Kassem, ThaerIbrahim. Environmental study on benthic algae of some marshes in southern Iraq. Master Thesis, Faculty of Science, University of Basra.1986
- Van Dolah, R.F.; Jutte, P.C.; Riekerk, G.H.M.; Levisen, M.V.; Zimmerman, L.E; Jones, J.D.; Lewitus, A.J.; Chestnut, D.E.; McDermott, W.; Bearden, D.; Scott, G.I. and Fulton, M.H.(2002). The Condition of South Carolina‘s Estuarine and Coastal Habitats during1999-2000: Technical Report. Charleston, SC: South Carolina Marine resources Division Technical report No.90.132p.
- Wetzel, R. G. Limnology, lake and river ecosystems. edth. Academic press, An Elsevier science imprint, San Francisco, New York, London.2001
- Hutchinson, G.E. A treatise on limnology, vol. 1, Geography, Physics and Chemistry, New York.1957
- Al-Lami, A. A; Sabri, A.W; Mohsen, K.A.A and Dulaimi, A.A The environmental effects of Tharthar arm in Tigris River A. Physical and chemical properties. The Scientific Journal of the Iraqi Atomic Energy Organization, 3 (2.20).2001: 122-136.(Arabic)
- AL-Mousawi, A.H.A.; AL-Saadi, H.A. and Hassan, F. M. Spatial and seasonal variations of phytoplankton population and related environment in AL-Hammar marsh, Iraq. Basrah J. Sci., 12 (1).1994 : 9-20 .
- Al-Taee, MM Some metals in water, sediment, fishes, and plants of Shatt Al-Hilla River, PhD thesis, University of Babylon, Iraq,1999.
- Adam, R.S.; Al- Shawi, I.J.M. and Al- Imarah, F.J.M. Distribution of some chemical elements in the marsh lands of southern Iraq after rehabilitation. Marsh Bulletin, 2 (1).2007: 11- 17.
- Weiner, E.R. Application of environmental chemistry. Lewis Publishers, London, New York.2000
- AL-Lami,A.A.; Kassim, T.I. and AL-Dylymei, A. A. A Limnological study on Tigris River, Iraq. The scientific Journal of Iraqi Atomic Energy Commission, vol.1, 1999.
- Al-Saadi, H.A.; Al-Tamimi, A.N. and Al-Ghafily, A.A.. On the limnological features of Razzazah lake, Iraq. Mutah J. for Research and Studies.1998
- Smith, R Current methods in aquatic science .University of Waterloo , Canada.2004
- Saadallah, A. and Busat, S.F. and Mukhtar, E. A Effect of Hamrin Reservoir Study on Some properties of Water in Diyala River, Diyala Journal 2.2000: 272-296(Arabic).
- Brown, R.M., N.I. McClelland, R.A. Deininger, and R.G. Tozer. ―A Water Quality Index – Do We Dare?‖ Water and Sewage Works, 1970 pp. 339-343.
- Antoine, S.E. and Al-Saadi, H.A. Limnological studies on the polluted Ashar canal and Shatt Al-Arab River at Basrah (Iraq). Hydrobiologia, 67 (3) 1982: 405-476.
- Al-Kenzawi, M. A. H. Ecological Study of Aquatic Macrophytes in the Central Part of the Marshes of Southern Iraq. Msc. thesis College of Science for Women University of Bagdad.2007
- DONHAW. (Department of National Health and Welfare) (Canada). Guidelines for Canadian drinking water quality. Supporting documentation. Ottawa, 1978
- Sand-Jensen K, Borum J. Interaction among phytoplankton, periphyton, and macrophytes in temperate freshwaters and estuaries. Aquat Bot 41: 1991.137–176
- Mohammed, Z.A. Ecological study Of Phytoplankton In Al-Kufa River/Euphrates.Msc. Faculty of Education for Girls / University of Al-Kufa.2012:112pp
- Wetzel, R.G. and Linkens, G. E. Limnological Analysis. Springer. 2000
- WHO. Guideline for Drinking Water Qality 2nd ed. vol. 2/1996/: 940-951.
- Al-Mussawi, A.H.A.; Hussien, N.A. and Al-Aarajy. The influence of sewage discharge on the physico-chemical properties of some ecosystem at Basrah city, Iraq. Basrah J. Science, 13 (1)1995/: 135-148.
- Hassan, S. A. and Hasan, H. H. Evaluation of the organic pollution of Euphrates River / Kufa area - Najaf Governorate. Journal of Babylon University / Pure and Applied Sciences, 9 (3)2004/: 775-782.
- Salman, J.M. Environmental study of potential pollution in the Euphrates River between Hindiya dam and Kufa region - Iraq, PhD thesis, Faculty of Science, University of Babylon.2006
- WHO. Potassium in drinking-water. Background document for development of Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality.2009
- Richards L.A. Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soils. United States Department of Agriculture, Washington DC. 1954.
- Ahmet K. and Engin Y. Time Series Modeling and Trend Detection of Streamflow and Selected Water Quality Variables in a River: Case Study, Euphrates River Monitoring Sites of 2102 and 2119.J.of Applied Science V.5 (6)2005/:1016-1021.
- Al-Bahrani. H.S. Spatial prediction and classification of water quality parameters for irrigation use in the euphrates river (iraq) using GIS and satellite image analyses., Int. J. Sus. Dev. Plann. Vol. 9, No. 3.2014
- Chatterji C. and Raziuddin M., Determination of water quality index of a degraded river in Asanol Industrial area, Raniganj, Burdwan, West Bengal, Nature, Environment and Pollution Technology, 1 (2),2002/pp 181-189.
Abstract Views: 15
PDF Views: 0