Open Access Subscription Access
Role of Online Social Networks in Predicting the Events in Space Research Organizations
Sharing opinion through social media on various historical events by millions of internet users has become very popular. In general,online social networks (OSNs) assist users of social networks to obtain the accurate and up-to-date information about various historical events.'Twitter'the most popular OSNis a micro-blogging platform used for sending and receiving messages.This paper focuses on the role of Twitter in updating its followers about the most mission critical time-sensitive events information through the communication opportunities offered by the Internet.An experimental study conducted to collect the twitter data on the space research organizations event 'Mangalyaan'and around 1030 tweets were examined based on the keywords related to that event.The statistical software tool 'R' is used for text analysis to identify the most frequent words and the significance of those words in thetarget event.
Data Visualization, Online Social Networks (OSNs), Text Mining, Twitter, Mangalyaan, Wordcloud.
Call for Papers
- Kumar S, Morstatter F, Zafarani R, Liu H. Whom Should I Follow? Identifying Relevant Users During Crises. Proceedings of the 24thACM conference on Hypertext and social media; ACM, 2013.
- Feinerer I, Hornik K. Package tm: Text Mining Package. 2013.
- Morstatter F, Pfe↵er J, Liu H, Carley K. Is the Sample Good Enough?Comparing Data from Twitter’s Streaming API with Twitter’s Firehose. Proceedings of the International conference on Weblogs and Social Media; 2013.
- Kumar S, Morstatter F, Liu H. Twitter Data Analytics. Springer; 2013.
- Hoff PD, Raftery AE, Handcock MS. Latent space approaches to social network analysis. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 2002; 97(460):1090–8.
- Sakaki T, Okazaki M, Matsuo Y. Earthquake Shakes Twitter Users: Real-Time Event Detection by Social Sensors. Proceedings of the 19th International conference on World Wide Web, ACM; 2010. p. 851–60.
- Bollen J, Mao H, Pepe A. Modeling public mood and emotion: Twitter sentiment and socio-economic phenomena. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media; 2009. p. 450–3.
- A framework for text mining applications within R Documentation. Available from http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/tm/index.html Available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter
- Rzhetsky A, Seringhaus M, Gerstein M. Seeking a new biology through text mining. 2011; 134(1):9–3.
- Lowe B, Laffey D. Is Twitter for the birds? Using Twitter to enhance student learning in a marketing course. Journal of Marketing Education. 2011; 33(2):183–92.
- Available from http://cran.rproject.org/web/packages/twitteR/ index.html.
- Walker L. Twitter Learning Analytics in R”, ascilite-Future Challenges, Sustainable futures. New Zealand: Swinburne University of Technology; 2012.
- Aggarwal CC. Social Network Data Analytics. Springer Science Business Media LLC; 2011.
- Available from www.r-project.org
- Lindsay R. Predicting polls with Lexicon. 2012 Feb 9.
- Availabel from http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-networkingwebsites
- Russell Group University web sites were carried out on Monday 10th January 2011.
- Sorensen L. User managed trust in social networking comparing facebook, myspace and linkdIn. Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Wireless Communication, vehicular Technology, Information Theory and Aerospace & Electronic System Technology; 2009; Denmark. p.427–31.
- Wakamiya S, Lee R, Sumiya. Towards better TV viewing rates: exploiting crowd’s media life logs over Twitter for TV ratings. Proceedings of the 655th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication; 2014; New York.
- Cardie C, Mooney RJ. Machine learning and natural language. Machine Learning. 1999; 34:5–9.
- Feinerer I, Hornik WK, Meyer WD. Text Mining Infrastructure in R. Journal of Statistical Software. 2008; 25(5).
- Available from http://www.tigeranalytics.com/blogs/20131221/ text-analytics-‘mangalyaan’-seentwitter
Abstract Views: 148
PDF Views: 27