Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Content Analysis of MGNREGA’s TV Advertisements and Online News Coverage
To assess the portrayal of MGNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) in TV advertisements and online news coverage, two content analysis were conducted for the present study. The first objective of the study was to understand the content of MGNREGA TV advertisements on the basis of components such as voice over, crew members of TV advertisements, crew members’ age, background music and the techniques used for advertisements’ execution (i.e., slice of life, dramatization, testimonial, animation and others). The second objective was to see how different aspects were influencing the implementation and communication dissemination of MGNREGA, and how these aspects were covered in the online newspaper coverage of well-known publishers (i.e., The Hindu, Times of India, DNA, The Indian Express, The Hindustan Times and others). MGNREGA’s 11 TV advertisements and 74 published (online) news articles (between 2012 and 2016) were considered for the purpose of content analysis. The result of the study revealed that i) MGNREGA’s TV advertisements carried easy to understand message but were not creative in approach and ii) MGNREGA gets a lot of media attention in India and reputed publisher breaks various MGNREGA news stories through techniques such as informative news, opinion based news and analytical news. Discussions are incorporated to discuss the major findings of the study and relate it to the available literature. The limitations of the study are presented and future research avenues are proposed.
Content Analysis, MGNREGA, TV Advertisements, News Articles.
- Ahuja, U., Tyagi, D., Chauhan, S., & Chaudhary, K. (2011). Impact of MGNREGA on rural employment and migration: A study in agriculturally-backward and agriculturally-advanced districts. Agricultural Economics Research Review, 24, 495–502.
- Anderson, S., Kotwal, A., Kulkarni, A., & Ramaswami, B. (2013). Observations on the scope of corruption in NREGA projects (Working Paper No. F-7013-INC-1).
- Arun, S., Heeks, R., & Morgan, S. (2004). ICT initiatives, Women and work in developing countries: Reinforcing or changing gender inequalities in South India? Institute for Development Policy and Management, University of Manchester.
- Basak, R. (2018). The role of the MGNREGS in providing employment opportunities to the SCs and the STs: A cross-state analysis. Journal of Rural and Industrial Development, 6(2), 1–14.
- Bebarta, P. K. (2013). Impact of MGNREGA in the lives of tribal people: A study of Rayagada Block in Gajapati District. Odisha Review, 62–66.
- Belch, G. E., Belch, M. A., & Purani, K. (2013). Advertising and promotion: An integrated marketing communications perspective (9th ed.). Tata McGraw Hill.
- Bengtsson, M. (2016). How to plan and perform a qualitative study using content analysis. Nursing Plus Open, 2, 8–14.
- Puri, J., Nath, M., Bhatia, R., & Glew, L. (2016). Examining the evidence on the effectiveness of India’s rural employment guarantee act. International Initiative for Impact Evaluation. Working Paper 27.
- Bhattacharyya, R., & Vauquline, P. (2013). A mirage or a rural life line? Analysing the impact of mahatma gandhi rural employment guarantee act on women beneficiaries of Assam. Space and Culture, India, 1(1), 83–101.
- Breitkreuz, R., Stanton, C. J., Brady, N., Pattison-Williams, J., King, E. D., Mishra, C., & Swallow, B. (2017). The Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee scheme: A policy solution to rural poverty in India? Development Policy Review, 35(3), 397–417.
- Burnard, P. (1995). Interpreting text: An alternative to some current forms of textual analysis in qualitative research. Social Sciences in Health, 1(4), 236–245.
- Carswell, G., & Neve, G. (2014). MGNREGA in Tamil Nadu: A story of success and transformation? Journal of Agrarian Change, 14(4), 564–585.
- Chaarlas, L., & Velmurugan, J. (2012). Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNEGA): Issues and challenges. International Journal of Physical and Social Sciences, 2(6), 253–261.
- Chapman, R., & Slaymaker, T. (2002). ICTs and rural development: Review of the literature, current interventions and opportunities for action.
- Chopra, D. (2014). They don’t want to work’ versus ‘They don’t want to provide work’: Seeking explanations for the decline of MGNREGA in Rajasthan. The effective States and Inclusive Development, Working Paper no. 31, 1–28.
- Das, D. (2012). Examining India’s Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA): It’s impact and women participation. International Journal for Research in Management, 2(6), 209–218.
- Das, U., Singh, A., & Mahanto, N. (2012). Awareness about Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act: Some evidence from north parts of West Bengal, India. Economics Bulletin, 32 (1), 528–537.
- DAVP Annual Report. (2011–12). Retrieved from http://www.davp.nic.in/AnnRepEng1112.pdf
- Dey, M. (2010). National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA): A range of possibilities. International Journal of Rural Studies, 17(2), 1–7.
- Downe-Wamboldt, B. (1992). Content analysis: Method, applications, and issues. Health Care for Women International, 13(3), 313–321.
- Engendering Meta-Evaluations: Towards Women’s Empowerment. (2015). Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283436431_Series_in_Feminist_Evaluation_2_ENGENDERING_META-EVALUATIONS_TOWARDS_WOMEN’S_EMPOWERMENT
- Ghosh, J. (2015). Economic impact of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA). Doctoral dissertation, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE), Pune, India.
- Goud Maschendar, M., & Usha Kiran, V. (2016). MGNREGS – A way of resource mobilisation for unskilled rural people. Journal of Rural and Industrial Development, 4(2), 36–43.
- Gurumurthy, A. (2006). Promoting gender equality? Some development-related uses of ICTs by women. Development in practice, 16(6), 611–616.
- IIM – Lucknow (2009). MGNREGA Report. Retrieved from http://www.nrega.net/pin/reports-and-resources/ reports-submitted-to-the-ministry-of-rural-development/reports-28-jan-2010/IIM%20Lucknow.pdf
- Jain, N. (2012). The role of media in enhancing national development: The mobilization of rural population in India.
- Jørgensen, T. M. (2016). Implementing the MG National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in Rajasthan: How to facilitate rural poor’s access to work? (Master’s thesis).
- Kadiya, S., Parashar, S., & Vatavwala, S. (2016). Work demand pattern analysis for MGNREGA: with special reference to 18 Indian states. Scientific Papers: Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture & Rural Development, 16(4).
- Kashyap, P. (2016). Rural marketing. Pearson Education India.
- Krippendorff, K. (2004). The content analysis: An introduction to its methodology. Sage Publications.
- Mahesh, L., Sudharani, V., Naik, A., Devi, K. S., & Reddy, M. J. M. (2017). Employment generation of tribal farmers of adilabad and their relationship with profile characteristics. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6(7), 593–599.
- Mani, N., & Krishnan, N. (2014). A study of employment of MGNREGA workers in Erode district of Tamil Nadu. International Journal of Business and Administration Research Review, 1(6), 190–197.
- Manjula, M. (2015). Impact of MGNREGA on individual and community assets creation and their sustainability in selected villages of Mahabubnagar district of Andhra Pradesh (Doctoral dissertation).
- Mavinakatti, J. S. (2013). Knowledge and opinion of farmers regarding bhoochetana programme (Doctoral dissertation, UAS, Dharwad).
- MGNREGA Report. (2007). Retrieved from http://nrega.nic.in/nregarpt_eng.pdf
- Mishra, S. K. (2011). Asset creation under MGNREGA: A study in three districts of Madhya Pradesh. Indore Management Journal, 3(3), 19–30.
- Narasimha, R. D., Reddy Amarender, A., Nagaraj, N., & Cynthia, B. (2014). Emerging trends in rural employment structure and rural labor markets in India. Working Paper Series, No. 56.
- Narayanan, S., Ranaware, K., Das, U., & Kulkarni, A. (2014). MGNREGA works and their impact: A rapid assessment in Maharashtra (No. id: 6194).
- Nath, V. (2001). Empowerment and governance through information and communication technologies: Women’s perspective. The International Information & Library Review, 33(4), 317–339.
- Parida, J. K. (2016). MGNREGS, distress migration and livelihood conditions: A study in Odisha. Journal of Social and Economic Development, 18(1–2), 17–39.
- Parida, S., Bhowmick, P. K., & Sivakumar, P. B. P. (2016). Utilisation and preferences of communication sources for MGNREGA information by beneficiaries in Odisha, India. Indian Research Journal of Extension Education, 15(4), 194–197.
- Raabe, K., Birner, R., Sekhar, M., Gayathridevi, K., Shilpi, A., & Schiffer, E. (2010). How to overcome the governance challenges of implementing NREGA insights from Bihar using process-influence mapping. International Food Policy Research Institute, IFPRI Discussion Paper 00963.
- Raghvan, K., Singh, N., Das, S., Bist, S., Das, S., Gajjar, U., & Singh, V. (2008). National rural employment guarantee scheme West Bengal: A study of sustainable livelihood models, mudra institute of communication, Entrepreneurship Development Cell, Ahmedabad.
- Rajalakshmi, V., & Selvam, V. (2017). Impact of MGNREGA on women empowerment and their issues and challenges: A review of literature from 2005 to 2015. The Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 1–13.
- Reddy, D. N., Reddy, A. A., & Bantilan, M. C. S. (2014). The impact of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) on rural labor markets and agriculture. India Review, 13(3), 251–273.
- Selvakumar, M., Jeyakumar, R. A., Sathyalakshmi, V., & Mohammed Abubakkar Siddique, R. (2018). Awareness of beneficiaries about Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee scheme in Virudhunagar District – Application of sign test. Journal of Rural and Industrial Development, 6(1), 36–48.
- Shah, D. (2015). MGNREGA and sustainable livelihood security in Maharashtra: A region-wise analysis. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 70(3), 284.
- Shah, M. (2012). Report of the committee for revision of MGNREGA operational guidelines. Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India.
- Shah, V., & Makwana, M. (2011). Impact of NREGA on wage rates, food security and rural urban migration in Gujarat. Agro – Economic Research Centre, Sardar Patel University, Gujarat. Research Study No 141.
- Shimp, T. A., & Andrews, J. C. (2017). Advertising, promotion, and other aspects of integrated marketing communications. Nelson Education.
- Sivasankari, R., & Bharathi, V. (2012). Mahatama Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA): A study of awareness in Tirunelveli District. International Journal of Management Research and Review, 9(6), 1490–1497.
- Sudarshan, R. (2011). India’s national rural employment guarantee act: Women’s participation and impacts in Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Rajasthan. CPS Research Report, 1–21.
- Sukhtankar, S. (2012). What Determines MGNREGA Wages? Some Evidence on Voice and Exit from Orissa. The Hindu: Business Line.
- Sulaiman, V. R., Kalaivani, N. J., Mittal, N., & Ramasundaram, P. (2011). ICTs and empowerment of Indian rural women: What can we learn from on-going initiatives? Centre for Research on Innovation and Science Policy (CRISP) Working Paper.
- The DNA Report. (2016, 10 March). Retrieved from https://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-around-51-women-participated-in-mgnrega-maximum-in-last-3-years-2187797
- The Hans India Report. (2016, 16 June). Retrieved from https://www.thehansindia.com/posts/index/Commoner/2016-06-16/MGNREGAs-failure-triggered-migration/235470
- The India Today Report. (2015, 9 July). Retrieved from https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/mgnrega-281596-2015-07-09
- The Indian Express Report. (2016, 23 June). Retrieved from https://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/mgnrega-to-get-fresh-fund-boost-govt-nod-likely-for-mords-demand-2930671/
- The Indian Express Report by Martin Ravallion. (2014, 24 October). Retrieved from https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/editorials/mgnrega-is-unwell/
- The NDTV.com Report authored by Reetika Khera. (2016, 1 February). Retrieved from https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/for-nrega-tamil-nadu-isthe-only-hope-1272338
- The Times of India Report. (2016, 20 September). Retrieved from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/MGNREGA-to-help-build-playgrounds-in-schools/articleshow/54417841.cms
- The Tribune Report. (2016, 30 March). Retrieved from https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/ludhiana/community/ little-awareness-on-mgnrega-works/215244.html
- The Wire Report. (2016, 30 April). https://thewire.in/economy/worst-year-ever-for-mgnr-ega-23-drop-in-assets-created
- United Nations. (2010). Discussion paper on ‘Right Based Legal Guarantee as Development Policy: MGNREGA’. Retrieved from https://www.google.co.in/search?q=United+nations+reight+based+legal+guanatee+mgnrega+report&oq=United+nations+reight+based+legal+guanatee+mgnrega+report&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.13225j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0