Management of Two Rooted Mandibular Second Premolars: A Case Series
Mandibular premolars have been reported to have the most unusual canal aberrancies in the literature. Even though abnormal canal morphologies in mandibular premolars in the Asian population is less frequent, it continues to exist. When such rarities are encountered, supplemental diagnostic aids play a crucial role in determining the prognosis of the root canal procedure. The aim of this paper is to report a series of cases with unusual canal morphologies in which cone beam computed tomography was used as a diagnostic aid to visualize canal morphologies.
- Hargreaves KM, Cohen S, Berman LH. Cohen’s pathways of the pulp. Pulpal reactions to caries and dental procedures 2011 10th ed. St Louis, Mo, Mosby Elsevier; 2011. p. 504. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-323-06489-7.00013-8
- Slowey RR. Root canal anatomy. Road map to successful endodontics. Dent Clin North Am. 1979; 23(4):555–573
- Green D. Stereomicroscopic study of 700 roots apices of maxillary and mandibular posterior teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1960; 13:728–733. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(60)90373-X
- Rahimi S, Shahi S, Yavari HR, Reyhani MF, Ebrahimi ME, Rajabi E. A stereomicroscopy study of root apices of human maxillary central incisors and mandibular second premolars in an Iranian population. J Oral Sci. 2009; 51:411–415. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.51.411. PMid:19776508
- Vertucci FJ, Seling A, Gillis R. Root canal morphology of the human maxillary second premolar. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1974; 38:456–464. https://doi.org/10.1016/00304220(74)90374-0
- Zillich R, Dowson J. Root canal morphology of mandibular first and second premolars. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1973; 36:738–744. https://doi.org/10.1016/00304220(73)90147-3
- Jin GC, Lee SJ, Roh BD. Anatomical study of C-shaped canals in mandibular second molars by analysis of computed tomography. J Endod. 2006; 32:10–13. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2005.10.007. PMid:16410060
- Fan B, Cheung GS, Fan M, Gutmann JL, Bian Z. C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars: Part I: Anatomical features. J Endod. 2004; 30:899–903. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.don.0000136206.73115.93. PMid:15564874
- Ruddle JC. Three-dimensional obturation of the root canal system. Dent Today. 1992; 11:28, 30–33, 39.
- Awawdeh LA, Al-Qudah AA. Root form and canal morphology of mandibular premolars in a Jordanian population. Int Endod J. 2008; 41:240–248. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2007.01348.x. PMid:18081806
- De Moor RJ, Calberson FL. Root canal treatment in a mandibular second premolar with three root canals. J Endod. 2005; 31:310–313. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.don.0000140578.36109.c0 PMid:15793392
- Nallapati S. Three canal mandibular first and second premolars: a treatment approach. J Endod. 2005; 31:474– 476. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.don.0000157986.69173.a6. PMid:15917692
- Shetty A, Hegde MN, Tahiliani D, Shetty H, Bhat GT, Shetty S. Three-Dimensional Study of Variations in Root Canal Morphology Using Cone-Beam Computed Tomography of Mandibular Premolars in a South Indian Population. J Clin Diag Res. 2014 Aug; 8(8): ZC22-ZC24A.
Abstract Views: 2
PDF Views: 0