Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Transformational Leadership on Employee Engagement-An Empirical Study in Select Higher Educational Institutions
The present knowledge-driven economy – coupled with market pressures, competitive work environment and advancement in technologies – is posing numerous challenges to organizations, in general, and higher educational institutions, in particular. In this regard, academic institutions need to become as centre of excellence with focus on enriching the developmental aspects of their employees both teaching and non teaching staff who contribute significantly towards institution building process. Academic heads need to involve and engage their workforce towards organizational growth by entrusting them with academic and administrative assignments and responsibilities. They need to be inspired and guided by leaders so that they can be more effective and result oriented. It calls for the role of transformational leaders to instil a sense of commitment and dedication amongst their followers. Keeping this in view, the present article is aimed to examine the effect of transformational leadership on employee engagement in some sample select institutions. It will also explore the relationship that exists between them. The findings of the study revealed that there exists a positive relationship between transformational leadership and employee engagement. It is also revealed from the results that employee engagement is positively influenced by transformational leadership. The findings of the study suggest that transformational leadership needs to be further enhanced in order to enrich employee engagement in the sample study institutions.
Employee Engagement, Transformational Leadership, Academic and Non-Academic Staff, Higher Education.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (2000). MLQ multifactor leadership questionnaire (2nd ed.). Redwood City, CA: Mind Garden.
- Bezuidenhout, A., & Schultz, C. (2013). Transformational leadership and employee engagement in the mining industry. Journal of Contemporary Management, 10(1), 279-297.
- Brown, S. P. (1996) A meta-analysis and review of organizational research on job involvement. Psychological Bulletin, 120(2), 235-255. DOI: 10.1037/0033-2909.120.2.235 Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York. Harper & Row, Onursal Arkan
- Gibson, J. L., Ivancevich, J. M., Donnely, J. H., & Konopaske, R. (2012). Organizations. Behavior, structure, processes. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Yukl, G., & Howell, J. M. (1999). Organizational and contextual influences on the emergence and effectiveness of charismatic leadership. Leadership Quarterly, 10, 257-283.
- Groenewald, A., & Ashfield, G. (2008). When leaders are also explorers. The Star Workplace, 7 May, p. 56.
- Gill, R. (2006). Theory and practice of leadership, Thousand Oaks, SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Gonzalez-Roma V., Schaufli, W. B., Bakker, A. B., & Lioret, S. (2006). Burnout and work engagement. Journal of Vocational Behaviour, 68, 165-174
- Kular, S., Gatenby, M., Rees, C., Soane, E., & Truss, K. (2008). Employee engagement: A literature review, Kingston University, Kingston Business School. Retrieved from http://eprints.kingston. ac.uk/4192/1/19wempen.pdf
- Harter, J. K., Schmidt, F. L., & Hayes, T. L. (2002). Business-unit-level relationship between employee satisfaction, employee engagement, and business outcomes: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87, 268-279.
- Howell, J. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1993). Transformational leadership, transactional leadership, locus of control, and support for innovation: Key predictors of consolidated-business-unit performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 78, 891-902. doi: 10.1037/0021-9010.78.6.891
- Hughes, M. (2010). The leadership of change. In M. Hughes (Ed). Managing change: A critical perspective. London: CIPD. pp 135-149.
- Hayati, D., Charkhabi, M., & Naami, A. Z. (2014). The relationship between transformational leadership and work engagement in governmental hospitals nurses: A survey study. Springer Plus, 3(1), 25. Doi: 10.1186/2193-1801-3-25
- Joubert, M., & Roodt, G. (2011). Identifying enabling management practices for employee engagement. Acta Commercii, 11, 88-110.
- Khan, W. A (1990). Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work’, Academy of Management Journal, 3(4), 145.
- Kirkpatrick, S. A., & Locke, E. A. (1996). Direct and indirect effects of three core charismatic leadership components on performance and attitudes. Journal of Applied Psychology, 81, 36-51.
- Langelaan S, Bakker A. B., VanDoornen L. P, Schaufeli, W. B. (2006). Burnout and work engagement. Personality and Individual Differences, 40(3), 521-523. Doi:10.1016/j.paid.2005.07.009
- Latham, G. P., & Pinder, C. C. (2005). Work motivation theory and research at the dawn of the twenty-first century. Annu Rev Psychol, 56, 485-516.
- Liorens, S., Schaufeli, W. B., Bakker, A., & Salanova, M. (2007). Does a positive gain spiral of resources, efficacy beliefs and engagement exist? Computers in Human Behaviour, 23(1), 825-841. Doi:10.1016/j.chb.2004.11.012
- Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2008). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing theory and application (6th ed.). China: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Mokgolo, M. M., Mokgolo, P., & Modiba, M. (2012). Transformational leadership in the South African public service after the April 2009 national elections. South African Journal of Human Resource Management, 10(1), 1-9.
- Northouse, P. G. (2010). Leadership: Theory and practice. (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Salanova, M., Agut, S., & Peiro, J. M. (2005) Linking organizational resources and work engagement to employee performance and customer royalty. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90, 1217-1227 Schaufeli, W. B., Salanova, M., Gonzalez-Romá, V., & Bakker, A. B. (2002). The measurement of engagement and burnout: A two sample confirmatory factor analytic approach. Journal of Happiness Studies, 3, 71-92.
- Schaufeli, W., & Bakker, A. (2003). Utrecht work engagement scale: Preliminary manual. Utrecht: Utrecht University.
- Spector, P. E. (2004). Industrial and organizational psychology: Research and practice. John Wiley, New York.
- Steers, R. M., Porter, L.W., & Bigley, G. A. (2004). Motivation and leadership of work. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Walumbwa, F. O., & Lawler, J. J. (2003). Building effective organizations: Transformational leadership, collectivist orientation, work-related attitudes, and withdrawal behaviors in three emerging economies. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14, 1083-1101.
- Yukl, G. (1999). An evaluation of conceptual weaknesses in transformational and charismatic leadership theories. Leadership Quarterly, 10, 285-305.
- Zhu, W., Avolio, B. J., & Walumbwa, F. O. (2009). Moderating role of follower characteristics with transformational leadership and follower work engagement. Group & Organization Management, 34, 590-619.
Abstract Views: 18
PDF Views: 0