Open Access Subscription Access
Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Anticancer Activity of the Ethanol Extract of Pleurotus ostreatus
The current study evaluates antimicrobial, antioxidant and anticancer activity of the ethanol extract of Pleurotus ostreatus. Chemical analysis showed the presence of alcohol, amides, alkanes, ether, phenol and sulphides. Most of the chemical constituents were found to be esters and carboxylic acid derivatives. The extract showed highest resistant against Bacillus cereus. P. ostreatus ethanol extract showed comparable antioxidant activity with ascorbic acid in both DPPH and FRAP method and also showed an IC50 of 39.29 μg/ml against HL60 cells.
MTT, DPPH, HL-60 Cells, FRAP, GC-MS.
- Prasad AS, Bao B, Beck FWJ, Kucuk O, Sarkar FH. Antioxidant effect of zinc in humans. Free Radical Biology Medicine. 2004; 37:1182–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2004.07.007 PMid:15451058
- Jose N, Ajith TA, Janardhanan KK. Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antitumor activities of culinary-medicinal mushroom Pleurotus pufmonanus (Fr.) Quel. (Agaricomycetideae). International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. 2002; 4:329–35. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushr.v4.i4.60
- Jayakumar T, Ramesh E, Geraldine P. Antioxidant activity of the oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus on CCl4-induced liver injury in rats. Food and chemical toxicology. 2016; 44:1989–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2006.06.025.PMid:16914248
- Valko M, Rhodes CJ, Moncol J, Izakovic M, Mazur M. Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stress-induced cancer, Chemical Biological Interaction. 2006; 160:1–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2005.12.009. PMid:16430879
- Woldegiorgis AZ, Abate D, Haki GD, Ziegler GR. Antioxidant property of edible mushrooms collected from Ethiopia. Food Chemistry. 2014; 157:30–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.02.014. PMid:24679748
- Michalak A. Phenolic compounds and their antioxidant activity in plants growing under heavy metal stress. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 2006; 15:523–30.
- Oyetayo VO, Ariyo OO. Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of Pleurotus ostreatus (Jacq: Fries) cultivated on different tropical woody substrates. Journal of Waste Conversion, Bioproducts and Biotechnology. 2013; 2:28–32.
- Oboh G, Ademosun AO. Characterization of the antioxidant properties of phenolic extracts from some citrus peels. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2012; 49:729–36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-010-0222-y. PMid:24293692 PMCid:PMC3550823
- Vishwakarma P, Singh P, Tripathi NN. In-vitro antioxidant activity and nutritional value of four wild oyster mushroom collected from North-Eastern Part of Uttar Pradesh. Mycosphere. 2017; 8:592–602. https://doi.org/10.5943/mycosphere/8/4/8
- Singh V, Pandey R, Vyas D. Antioxidant potentiality of Pleurotus ostreatus (MTCC142) cultivated on different agro wastes. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 2015; 5:22-7.
- Riaz M, Mehmood KT. Selenium in human health and disease. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine. 2012; 26:120–33.
Abstract Views: 26
PDF Views: 21