Open Access Subscription Access
DNA Barcoding Markers and Next Generation Sequence Analysis of Rbcl in Intraspecies Genetic Variations of Three Varieties of Cissus quadrangularis L.
Cissus quadrangularis L. is a well-known plant used in Ayurveda. It is also called Asthisamharaka. The etymology of its name indicates its use in the healing of the fractured bone. It is a widely growing plant belonging to the family of vitaceae. C. quadrangularis (Family: Vitaceae) is commonly distributed throughout the hotter parts of India and Sri Lanka. C. quadrangularis is mentioned in classical literature like Bhava Prakash and Chakra Dutta. The present study design to compare three different varieties of C. quadrangularis which includes the species of quadrangular, round and flat types are used to study DNA barcoding marker and phylogenetic analysis. Whole-genome was isolated from the stem parts of three varieties of C. quadrangularis; quadrangular, round and flat. The PCR amplification of DNA barcoding markers (rbcl, mat k and ITS) was analyzed by DNA electrophoresis. The DNA barcoding markers and next-generation sequencing are able to identify the intraspecies genetic variations among these closely related plant varieties of C. quadrangularis of quadrangular, round and flat.
Ayurveda, Cissus quadrangularis L., Mat k, Medicinal Plants, Next-Generation Sequencing, Rbcl, ITS4.
- Nishteswar K, Hemadri K. Dravyaguna Vijnana. Chaukhambha Sanskrit Pratishthan, Delhi, India; 2013. p. 1–493.
- Robert GW, Qing-Feng W, Yong W, You-Hao G. A taxonomic investigation of variation within Cissus quadrangularis L. (Vitaceae) in Kenya. Wuhan University Journal of Natural Sciences. 2001; 6(3):715–24. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02830291
- Sasidharan H, Varghese AP. Taxonomy of selected species of Cissus (Vitaceae) from Thrissur district. South Indian Journal of Biological Sciences 2016; 2(1):222–8. https://doi.org/10.22205/sijbs/2016/v2/i1/100403
- Issaravanich S, Ruangrungsia N, Palanuvej C, Vipunngeun N, Rungsihirunrat K. Microscopic, molecular and scopolamine content evaluations of Datura metel L. var. metel and D. metel L. var. fastuosa in Thailand. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Biological Chemical Sciences. 2013; 4:1009–21.
- Sudmoon R, Chaveerach A, Tance T. Analysis of genetic and chemical relation compared to commonly used Cissus quadrangularis L. and barcode markers of some Thailand Cissus species. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 29(1):65–75.
- Hegde S, Saini A, Hegde HV, Kholkute SD, Roy S. Molecular identification of Saraca asoca from its substituents and adulterants. 3 Biotech; 2018; 8(3):161. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-018-1175-5. PMid:29527448 PMCid :PMC5835484
- Sirasanagandla SR, Ranganath Pai KS, Potu BK, Bhat KM. Protective effect of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. on diabetes induced delayed fetal skeletal ossification. Journal of Ayurveda Integrated Medical Sciences. 2014; 5(1):25–32. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-9476.128852. PMid:24812472 PMCid:PMC4012358
- Brahmkshatriya HR, Shah KA, Ananthkumar GB, Brahmkshatriya MH. Clinical evaluation of Cissus quadrangularis as osteogenic agent in maxillofacial fracture: A pilot study. Ayurveda 2015; 36(2):169–73. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-8520.175542. PMid:27011718 PMCid: PMC4784127
- Srisook K, Palachot M, Mongkol N, Srisook E, Sarapusit S. Anti-inflammatory effect of ethyl acetate extract from Cissus quadrangularis Linn may be involved with induction of heme oxygenase-1 and suppression of NF-κB activation. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2011; 133(3):1008–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.11.029. PMid:21094244
- Gao R, Zhang G. Potential of DNA barcoding for detecting quarantine fungi. Phytopathology. 2013; 103(11):1103–07. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-1212-0321-R. PMid:23718836
- Hollings worth PM, Forrest LL, Spouge JL. A DNA barcode for land plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2009; 106(31):12794–7. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0905845106. PMid:19666622 PMCid:PMC2722355
- Hao DC, Xiao PG, Ma HY, Peng Y. He CN. Mining chemodiversity from biodiversity: Pharmacophylogeny of medicinal plants of Ranunculaceae. Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines. 2015; 13(7):507–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1875-5364(15)30045-5
- Ren FM, Wang YW, Xu ZC, Li Y, Xin TY, Zhou JG, et al. DNA barcoding of Corydalis, the most taxonomically complicated genus of Papaveraceae. Ecology and Evolution. 2019; 9(4):1934–45. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.4886. PMid:30847083 PMCid:PMC6392370
- Nakagawa T, Doi M, Nishi K, Sugahara T, Nishimukai H, Asano M. A simple and versatile authenticity assay of coffee products by single-nucleotide polymorphism genotyping. Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry. 2019; 83(10):1829–36. https://doi.org/10.1080/09168451.2019.16 18697. PMid:31119972
- Kim WJ, Ji Y, Choi G, Kang YM, Yang S, Moon BC. Molecular identification and phylogenetic analysis of important medicinal plant species in genus Paeonia based on rDNA-ITS, matk, and rbcl DNA barcode sequences. Genetics and Molecular Research. 2016; 15(3):1–11. https://doi.org/10.4238/gmr.15038472
- Watto JI, Saleem MZ, Shahzad MS, Arif A, Hameed A, Saleem MA. DNA Barcoding: Amplification and sequence analysis of rbcl and matk genome regions in three divergent plant species. Advancements in Life Sciences. 2016; 4(1):3–7.
Abstract Views: 5
PDF Views: 6