Open Access Subscription Access
Antibacterial and in vitro Anticancer Study of Methanol Extracts of Clitoria ternatea Leaves
Clitoria ternatea is often known as butterfly pea plant by the natives and is one of the major plants used in Ayurveda and traditional medicine worldwide. It is also used in food and cosmetic industries for various purposes. In this study, methanol leaf extract of Clitoria ternatea was studied for its antibacterial and in vitro anticancer study against human promyelocytic leukemia cells (HL60). Secondary metabolites like alkaloids, phlobatannin, triterpenoids, flavonoids, lipids, steroids, terpenoids, tannins and glycosides are identified in the extract by phytochemical screening. Leaf extract showed the presence of ethers and carboxylic acid groups (GCMS analysis). The leaf extract showed resistance against Salmonella typhi. Thus, from this study it can be concluded Clitoria ternatea leaves methanol extract has bioactive compounds showing anticancer activity against HL60 cells.
Antibacterial Activity, Anticancer Activity, Clitoria ternatea, GC-MS Analysis, Phytochemical Screening, MTT Assay.
- Balaji KS, Priyanka S, Preethi SD, Chandrashekara KT, Lokesh S. Angio-suppressive effect of Clitoria ternatea flower extracts is mediated by HIF-1α and down-regulation of VEGF in Murine carcinoma model. Medicinal Chemistry (Los Angeles). 2016; 6:515–20. https://doi.org/10.4172/2161-0444.1000392
- Chakraborthy GS, Kumar V, Gupta S, Kumar A, Gautam N, Kumari L. Phytochemical and pharmacological aspects of Clitoria ternatea-a review. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2018:3–9. https://doi.org/10.31069/apsr.v1i2.13061
- Deepika S, Selvaraj I, Anbalagan M. Phytochemical characterization and cancer cell line cytotoxicity of Clitoria ternatea. Bangladesh Journal of Pharmacology. 2018; 13(4):349–52. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjp.v13i4.38612
- Divya A, Anbumalarmathi J, Sharmili SA. Phytochemical analysis, antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of Clitoria ternatea blue and white flowered leaves. Advances in Research. 2018:1–13. https://doi.org/10.9734/AIR/2018/39030
- Lakshmi NDM, Mahitha B, Madhavi T, Sushma NJ. Phytochemical screening and ftir analysis of Clitoria ternatea leaves. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 2015; 6(2):287–90.
- Jacob L, Latha MS. Anticancer activity of Clitoria ternatea Linn. against Dalton’s lymphoma. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research. 2012; 4(4):207–12.
- Jamil N, Zairi MNM, Nasim NAIM, Pa’ee F. Influences of environmental conditions to phytoconstituents in Clitoria ternatea (Butterfly Pea Flower)-A Review. Journal of Science and Technology. 2018; 10(2).
- Kamilla L, Mansor SM, Ramanathan S, Sasidharan S. Effects of Clitoria ternatea leaf extract on growth and morphogenesis of Aspergillus niger. Microscopy and Microanalysis. 2009; 15(4):366–72. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1431927609090783. PMid:19575837
- Kumar D, Dhobi M. Antianxiety and antioxidant profile of blue and white variety of Clitoria ternatea L. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2016; 4(3):90.
- Lijon MB, Meghla NS, Jahedi E, Rahman MA, Hossain I. Phytochemistry and pharmacological activities of Clitoria ternatea. International Journal of Natural and Social Sciences. 2017; 4(1):1–10.
- Mathew N, Anitha MG, Bala TSL, Sivakumar SM, Narmadha R, Kalyanasundaram M. Larvicidal activity of Saracaindica, Nyctanthesarbor-tristis, and Clitoria ternatea extracts against three mosquito vector species. Parasitology Research. 2009; 104(5):1017–25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-008-1284-x. PMid:19039604
- Nguyen KNT, Nguyen GKT, Nguyen PQT, Ang KH, Dedon PC, Tam JP. Immunostimulating and Gram‐negative‐specific antibacterial cyclotides from the butterfly pea (Clitoria ternatea). The FEBS Journal. 2016; 283(11):2067–90. https://doi.org/10.1111/febs.13720. PMid:27007913
- Pasukamonset P, Kwon O, Adisakwattana S. Alginatebased encapsulation of polyphenols from Clitoria ternatea petal flower extract enhances stability and biological activity under simulated gastrointestinal conditions. Food Hydrocolloids. 2016; 61:772–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2016.06.039
- Kumar TR, Kumar S, Anju VS. Phytochemical and antibacterial activities of crude leaf and root extracts of Clitoria ternatea varieties (Fabaceae). Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2017; 6(6):1104–8.
- Sarumathy K, Rajan MD, Vijay T, Jayakanthi J. Evaluation of phytoconstituents, nephro-protective and antioxidant activities of Clitoria ternatea. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2011; 1(5):164–72.
Abstract Views: 4
PDF Views: 7