Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Green Business Case "individual Waste Water Package Plant Business in Areas of Outside Sewer Networks: a Sme Approach".
This study investigates the green business development case in Finland, which was born as a result of the Onsite Wastewater System Decree (OWSD) entered into force in 2004, changed in 2010 and totally renovated in 2011. The study concentrates on the SME companies producing and selling equipment and services related to the individual waste water package plants. The business development is observed as a SME based business opportunity with great potential, but heavily influenced by the external factors like the legislation, the political climate and the recent economic recession. The business development is measured by new product performance indicators. The results show the real business volume of this niche green business field, the overall business development trend and SME managers' experiences and understanding about the external factors during the operational years of the decree in 2004-2010.
Green Business, Sme, Water Waste
- Avlonitis, George J., Paulina G. Papastathopoulou, and Spiros P. Gounaris (2001). "An Empirically-Based Typology of Product Innovativeness for New Financial Services: Success and Failure Scenarios," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 18 (5),
- Cooper, R.G., and Edgett, S.J. (2008). "Maximizing Productivity in Product Inno-vation", Research-Technology Management, Volume 51, No. 2, March-April 2008, 3.
- Cooper, R.G., and Kleinschmidt, E.J. (2007). "Winning Businesses in Product Development: The Critical Success Factors", A Research Technology Management. May-June 2007, 1.
- Economic Life (Talouselämä) (2011).” The Sales of Waste Water Package Plants Collapsed – Backyards of Factories Full of Unsold Equipment ". Accessed April 1, 2011 (in Finnish).
- Eisenhardt, K. (1989). "Building Theories from Case Study Research", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 14, No.4, 532-550.
- Eisingerich, Andreas B., Rubera, Gaia, and Seifert, Matthias (2008). "Managing Service Innovation and Interorganizatonal Relationships for Firm Performance: To Commit or Diversify?". Journal of Service Research 2009, 11, 344-356.
- Etelämäki, Lauri, and Kujala-Räty, Katriina (eds.), (2005). Kiinteistökohtaisen vesihuollon ylläpito; Ylläpitosampo-projektin loppu-raportti. (Management and maintenance of onsite waste water treatment systems - Ylläpitosampo). The Finnish Environment 764. (In Finnish).
- Fane, S., Willetts, J., Abeysuriya, K., Mitchell, C., Etnier, C., and Johnstone, S. (2004). "Evaluating Reliability and Life-Cycle Cost for Decentralized Wastewater within the Context of Asset Management", Paper presented at 1st International Conference on Onsite Wastewater Treatment and Recycling (NOWRA/NOSSIG/ OnSiteNZ)/ 6th Specialist Conference on Small Water and Wastewater Systems (IWA/AWA) in Fremantle, Australia, February 11-13, 2004.
- Finnish Ministry of Environment (2010). Hajajätevesityöryhmän
- loppuraportti. . Accesses on April 5, 2011.
- Flyvbjerg, B. (2006). "Five Misunder-standings About Case-Study Research", Qualitative Inquiry, Volume 12, Number 2, April 2006, 219-245.
- Gounaris, Spiros P., Paulina G. Papastathopoulou, and George J. Avlonitis (2003). "Assessing the Importance of the Development Activities for Successful New Services: Does Innovativeness Matter?", International Journal of Bank Marketing, 21 (5), 266-279.
- Government Decree on Treating Domestic Wastewater in Areas Outside Sewer Networks (542/2003) . Accessed on April, 25, 2011.
- Government Decree (Change) on Treating Domestic Wastewater in Areas Outside Sewer Networks (1824/2009)
- Accessed on April, 25, 2011.
- Government Decree (New Decree) on Treating Domestic Wastewater in Areas Outside Sewer Networks (209/2011)
- Accessed on April, 25, 2011.
- Gummesson, E. (1991). Qualitative Methods in Management Research. Newbury Park. CA: Sage.
- Hautamäki, Antti, 2010. Sustainable Innovation. A New Age of Innovation ad Finland’s Innovation Policy. Sitra Reports 87. Edita Prima Ltd. Helsinki, 133.
- Hull, Frank M. 2004. “Innovation Strategy and the Impact of a Composite Model of Service Product Development on Performance. Journal of Service Research, 7 (November), 167-180.
- Jaworski, Bernard , and Kohli, Ajay K. 1993. "Market Orientation: Antecedents and Consequences", Journal of Marketing, 57 (July), 53-71.
- Jääskeläinen, E. (2010). Näkemyksestä menestystä. Ympäristöalan kone- ja laiteteollisuus. Toimia-laraportti 7/2010, 11-12.
- Kaarikivi-Laine, U. (2003). Valtioneuvoston asetus talousjätevesien käsittelystä vesihuoltolaitosten viemäriverkostojen ulkopuolisilla alueilla. Ympäristöministeriön muistio 6.6.2003. Memorandum of the Ministry of the Environment of Finland, 12.
- Menguc Bulent , and Auh Seigyoung, 2006. "Creating a Firm-Level Dynamic Capability through Capitalizing on Market Orientation and Innovativeness". Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2006, 344-355.
- Moorman, Christine. 1995. "Organizational Market Information Processes: Cultural Antecedents and New Product Outcomes", Journal of Marketing Research, 32 (August 1995), 323, 331.
- Pauwels, Koen, Silva-Risso, Jorge, Srinivasan Shuba, and Hanssens Dominique M. (2004). "New Products, Sales Promotions, and Firm Value: The Case of the Automobility Industry", Journal of Marketing, 68 (October), 142-156.
- Poutiainen, Hannu (2010). "Tools for improved efficiency and control in wastewater treatment", Ph. D. dissertation, University of Eastern Finland, 16-17.
- Ruokojärvi, Arja (ed.). (2007). Lakepromo Summary: Rural wastewater treatment in Finland, the United Kingdom and Hungary. Savonia University of Applied Sciences, Series D 5/2007.
- Santala, E. (2003). "Finnish regulations, European standards and testing of small wastewater treatment plants". Memorandum of the Ministry of Environment of Finland.
- Santala,E., Etelämäki, L., and Santala,O. (2006). Urban Wastewater Treatment 2004. Reports of the Finnish Environment Institute 13/2006, Helsinki, p. 6 (in Finnish).
- Shuster, Laurie A. (2011)"More of the Same" Civil Engineering. New York: March 2011. Vol. 81, Iss. 3, p. 72.
- Sorescu, Alina B., and Spanjol, Helan. (2008). "Innovation’s Effect on Firm Value and Risk:Insights From Consumer Packaged Goods". Journal of Marketing, 72 (April), 114-132.
- Statistics of Finland (2010). Environmental goods and services sector 2009.
- Helsinki, Statistics of Finland , Accessed on April 8, 2011.
- Trade Journal (Kauppalehti) (2010). "Hesburger- Salmela Searches Growth by Waste Water" , Accessed on April 1, 2011 (in Finnish).
- Yin, R.K. (2003). Case Study Research: Design and Methods, 3rd ed. London, Sage.
Abstract Views: 146
PDF Views: 0