Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Literature Review on Importance of MSMEs in Empowerment of Women Participants
The present study deals with the review of literature on the area of empowerment of women through their participation in micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs). For this purpose, the literature has been divided into two main domains. In the first domain, literature on women participation in MSMEs and related issues has been reviewed. In the second domain, literature on empowerment of women participants and related issues has been reviewed. In the Introduction section of the study, the relevance of conducting such a study has been tried to be justified. While reviewing the literature in the second section of the study, the findings have been summarised and relationships between findings of different studies have been shown. The papers have not necessarily been reviewed chronologically. Rather, they have been arranged as per the ideas discussed in the study. Based on the findings of different studies, conclusions have been drawn for the two main domains of the study, respectively.
MSMEs, Women, Participant, Empowerment.
- Akram, S., Shaheen, I., & Kiyyani, S. M. (2015). Socioeconomic empowerment of women through micro enterprises: A case study of AJK. European Scientific Journal, 11(22), 197-211.
- Alsop, R., & Heinson, N. (2005). Measuring Empowerment in Practice: Structuring Analysis and Framing Indicators, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3510.
- Auroville Village Action Group. (n.d.). Women’s Empowerment Report 2009-2010. Retrieved from http://villageaction.in/media/annual-report/
- Bekele, E., & Worku, Z. (2008). Women entrepreneurship in micro, small and medium enterprises: The case of Ethiopia. Journal of International Women’s Studies, 10(2), 3-19.
- Bhattacharya, J. (2010), Contribution of Self- Help Groups to the Pursuit of Women Empowerment: A Capability Approach: A District-Level Study in the State of West Bengal, India (Unpublished doctoral thesis), University of Siena, Siena.
- Chakravarty, S., Kumar, A. & Jha, A. N. (2013). Women’s empowerment in India: Issues, challenges and future directions. International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities, 5(1), 154-163.
- Chippa, M. L., Sharma, S., & Dubey, R. K. (2014). Impact of microfinance on women empowerment, poverty alleviation and employment security in rural areas of Rajasthan. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, 3(2), 9073-9080.
- Chung, D. B., Kantachote, K., Mallick, A., Polster, R., & Roets, K. (Spring, 2013). Indicators of Women’s Empowerment in Developing Nations, University of Wisconsin- Madison: Workshop in International Public Affairs.
- Dasgupta, M., & Tabassum, R. (2017). Role of microfinance in empowering women of minority religion. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, 7(12), 341-362.
- Dasgupta, M., & Basak, R. (2016). Commercial banks finance and economic empowerment in women-owned micro and small enterprises in India - A study on engineering sector of Howrah, West Bengal. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Management, 5(2), 14-26.
- Danabakyam, M., & Kurian, S. (2012). Women Entrepreneurship in Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) in Chennai City. International Journal of Marketing, Financial Services and Management Research (IRJC), 1(10), 68-74.
- Dangi, N., & Ritika. (2014). Women entrepreneurship and growth and performance of MSMEs in India. International Journal of Advance Research in Computer Science and Management Studies, 2(4), 174-182.
- Devi, B. P. (2013). Facilitating factors for women entrepreneurship in India. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 4(5), 153-156.
- Duflo, E. (2012). Women empowerment and economic development. Journal of Economic Literature, 50(4), 1051-1079.
- Dwivedi, N. T., & Mishra, T. (2013). Womenempowerment through women entrepreneurship (A Study of Faizabad Zone of Uttar-Pradesh). Voice of Research, 2(2), 50-55.
- Garikipati, S. (2008). The impact of lending to women on household vulnerability and women’s empowerment: Evidence from India. SSRN Electronic Journal, 36(12), 2620-2642. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23691200
- Golla, A. M., Malhotra, A., Nanda, P., & Mehra, R. (2011). Understanding and measuring women’s economic empowerment: Definition, framework and indicators. Washington: International Centre for Research on Women.
- Goyal, M., & Parkash, J. (2011). Women Entrepreneurship in India-Problems and Prospects. ZENITH International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 1(5), 195-207.
- Gupta, K., & Yesudian, P. P. (2006). Evidence of women’s empowerment in India: A study of socio-spatial disparities. Geo Journal, 65(4), 365-380.
- Hashemi, S. M., Schuler, S. R., & Riley, A. P. (1996). Rural credit programs and women’s empowerment in Bangladesh. World Development, 24(4), 635-653.
- Inmyxai, S., & Takahashi, Y. (2010). Performance Contrast and Its determinants between Male and Female Headed Firms in Lao MSMEs. International Journal of Business and Management, 5(4), 37-52.
- Inmyxai, S., & Takahashi, Y. (2012). Factors mediating gender and firm performance in Lao micro, small, and medium sized Enterprises. Asia Pacific Management Review, 17(2), 145-175.
- Islam, N., Ahmed, E., Chew, J., & D’Netto, B. (2012). Determinants of empowerment of rural women in Bangladesh. World Journal of Management, 4(2), 36-56.
- Jain, D., & Jain, B. (2002). Does microfinance empower rural women?- A empirical study in Udaipur District, Rajasthan. Journal of Arts, Science & Commerce, 3(2), 76-89.
- Jana, M. M. (2015). Microfinance and women empowerment in India: An empirical analysis. The Management Accountant, 50(7), 42-47.
- Janaki, T. V. (2014). The Impact of Micro Credit on Empowerment of Women Entrepreneurs towards their Empowerment: A Study on SHGs in Rural RR District of Telengana. Retrieved from http://ssrn.com/abstract=2464145
- Kabeer, N. (2012), Women’s economic empowerment and inclusive growth: labour markets and enterprise development, UK: Department for International Development and The International Development Research Centre.
- Khan, N., & Bhatt, A. A. (2014). Role of Women in Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME). TMIMT International Journal, 1(1).
- Kilby, P. (2011). NGOs in India: The challenges of women’s empowerment and accountability. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Kiraka, R. N., Kobia, M., & Katwalo, A. M. (2013). Micro, small and medium enterprise growth and innovation in Kenya: A case study on the women enterprise fund, Dakar: ICBE-RF Research Report No. 47/13.
- Kiran., De, D., Gupta, B. K., Pandey, D. K., & Upadhaya, A. D. (2012). Empowerment of rural women in Agriculture: A socio-psychological analysis. Stud Home Com Sci, 6(3), 139-144.
- Kumar, D. (2014). Women entrepreneurship in India: Obstacles and opportunities. International Journal of Research (IJR), 1(5), 135-147.
- Kumar, P., & Paul, T. (n.d.). Empowerment of Women: Concept, Policy Approach and Implications. Retrieved from www.isical.ac.in/~wemp/Papers/PaperPrahladKumarAndTinkuPaul.doc
- Loomba, S. (n.d.). Role of microfinance in women empowerment in India. Retrieved from jaipuria.edu.in/pgdm/ wp.../Role-of-microfinane-in-women-empowermentinindia.pd...
- Malhotra, A., Schuler, S. R., & Boender, C. (2002, June). Measuring Women Empowerment as a variable in International Development, Background Paper presented at World Bank workshop on Poverty and Gender: New Perspective.
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (2011), Fourth All India Census of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises 2006-2007, Retrieved from www.msme.gov.in
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. (2016). Annual Report 2015-16, Retrieved from www.msme.gov.in
- Mokta, M. (2014). Empowerment of Women in India: A critical analysis. Indian Journal of Public Administration, 65(3), 473-488.
- Nehru, J., & Bhardwaj, S. (2013). Women Entrepreneurship in India: Issues and Problems. You can tell the condition of a Nation by looking at the status of its women. Spectrum: A Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 2(7), 8-16.
- Niethammer, C. (2013, August). Women, Entrepreneurship and the opportunity to promote Development and Business, Paper presented at Brookings Blum Roundtable Session V: Female Entrepreneurship.
- Nilakantan, R., Datta, S. C., Sinha, P., & Datta, S. K. (2013). The impact of microfinance on women empowerment: Evidence from eastern India. International Journal of Development and Conflict, 3, 27-40.
- Okafor, C., & Mordi, C. (2010). Women entrepreneurship development in Nigeria: The effect of environmental factors. Petroleum Gas University of Ploiesti Bulletin, 62(4/2010), 43-52.
- Omollo, B. A. (2014). Influence of constituency women enterprise scheme on economic empowerment of women entrepreneurs in Kisumu rural, Kenya. International Journal of Management Research & Review, 4(6), 632-650.
- Panigrahi, S. C. (2014). Empowerment of Women with Micro Credit: A Study of Women Self Help Groups in Ganjam District of Odisha, Ph.d Thesis, Pune: Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics.
- Parvin, L., Jinrong, J., & Rahaman, M. W. (2012). Women entrepreneurship development in Bangladesh: What are the challenges ahead?. African Journal of Business Management, 6(11), 3862-3871.
- Pati, A. P., & Lyngdoh, B. F. (2010). Micro Credit as Catalyst to Women Empowerment: Evidences and Observations. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228122521
- Rajalakshmi, A. (2014). Entrepreneurial role of women in the development of Indian economy. Global Journal for Research Analysis, 3(11), 44-46.
- Santillan, D., Sidney, R. S., Anh, H. T., Minh, T. H., Trang, Q. T., & Duc, N. M. (2004). Developing indicators to assess women’s empowerment in Vietnam. Development in Practice, 14(4), 534-549.
- Schuler, S. R., Islam, F., & Rottach, E. (2010). Women’s empowerment revisited: A case study from Bangladesh. Development in Practice, 20(7), 840-854.
- Shah, H. (2013). Creating an enabling environment for women’s entrepreneurship in India. New Delhi: United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific South-West Asia Office.
- Sharma, A., Dua, S., & Hatwal, V. (2012). Micro enterprise development and rural women entrepreneurship: Way for economic empowerment. Arth Prabandh: A Journal of Economics and Management, 1(6), 114-127.
- Sharma, P., & Varma, S. K. (2008). Women empowerment through entrepreneurial activities of self-help groups. Indian Research Journal Ext Edu, 8(1), 46-51.
- Shikhare, Y. B. (n.d.). Women empowerment through women entrepreneurship: A case study of Kalyan city. Tactful Management Research Journal, 65-69. Retrieved from http://tmgt.lsrj.in/SeminarPdf/198.pdf
- Siwal, B. R. (2009). Gender framework analysis of empowerment of women: A case study of kudumbashree programme. New Delhi: National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development.
- Stevenson, L., & St-Onge, A. (2005). Support for Growthoriented Women Entrepreneurs in Tazania, Geneva: International Labour Organisation.
- Stiglitz, J. E., Sen, A., & Fitoussi, J.-P. (2008). Report by the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress.
- Subramaniam, G., Tan, P.-L., Maniam, B., & Ali, E. (2013). Workplace flexibility, empowerment and quality of life. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences, 105, 885-893.
- Suguna, M. (2011). Education and Women Empowerment in India. Zenith International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 1(8), 198-204.
- Sutton-Brown, C. A. (2011), Women’s Empowerment in the Context of Microfinance: A Photovoice Study (Doctoral thesis), Georgia State University, Atlanta.
- Swain, R. B. (2007). Can Microfinance Empower Women? Self-Help Groups in India. Retrieved from http://www.microfinancegateway.org/sites/default/files/mfg-en-paper-can-microfinance-empower-women-self-help-groups-in-india-may-2007.pdf
- Tamandanil, S., Bostani, M. K., & Miri, G. R. (2015). Women’s empowerment through tourism case study: Zahedan City. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Applied Science (IJSEAS), 1(7), 255-262.
- Tambunam, T. (2008). Women entrepreneurs in micro, small and medium enterprises: Some evidence from Asian developing countries. University of New South Wales at ADFA.
- Tripathi, T. (2011). Women’s Empowerment: Concept and Empirical Evidence from India. Retrieved from http://www.cdedse.org/ws2011/papers/Tulika%20Tripathi.pdf
- Trivedi, M. P., & Gour, A. (2015). The Role of Women Entrepreneurs in Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). Pacific Business Review International, 7(7), 100-106.
- Uma, G., & Baby, D. F. (2013). Economic emancipation of women through SHGs in Thanjavur district: An analysis. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 3(6), 1-12.
- Vijayakumar, T., & Naresh, B. (2013). Women entrepreneurship in India - Role of women in small and medium enterprises. TRANS Asian Journal of Marketing & Management Research, 2(7), 13-25.
- Vijayaragavan, T. (2014). Problems and opportunities of women entrepreneurs in India. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 3(7), 59-61.
- Vinesh. (2014). Role of Women Entrepreneurs in India. Global Journal of Finance and Management, 6(5), 473-480.
- Wiklander, J. (2010). Determinants of Women’s Empowerment in Rural India: An Intra-Household Study (Master’s Thesis), Lunds Universitet.
- Yadav, J. (2014). Women and Entrepreneurship. Global Journal of Finance and Management, 6(2), 133-136.
- Yasmeen, V. S., & Gangaiah, B. (2014). Women empowerment through micro enterprises: A study of Y.S.R. district, A.P. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (IOSR-JHSS), 19(2), 39-48.
Abstract Views: 7
PDF Views: 0