Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Study on Relationship Between Stock Market Returns and Mutual Fund Flows
Stock market returns and the capital flow of funds in the mutual funds have been universally understood to be interlinked. The prevailing more and more contribution of the mutual funds in the stock market, on the one hand, and the profound impact of rising stock market returns on getting higher investments in mutual funds, on the other, have undoubtedly made the relationship between share market and mutual fund flows to be of prime significance for the key participants and other stakeholders of both the markets. In this published research paper, the academic researcher attempts assessing the prominent presence of any association between the stock market returns and mutual fund assets under management in India by employing the multiple regression analysis. It has been reasonably concluded that there is no significant evidence of the presence of any such relationships in Indian markets during the period of study.
Mutual Fund, Regression, Relationship, Stock-Market.
- Alexakis, C., Dasilas, A., & Grose, C. (2013). Asymmetric dynamic relations between stock prices and mutual fund units in Japan: An application of a hidden cointegration technique. International Review of Financial Analysis, 28, 1-8.
- Cha, H. J. (2018). The dynamic effects of stock prices on mutual fund flows and volume in the Korean stock market. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 9(1), 1-10
- Delong, J. B., Shleifer, A., Summers, L. H., & Waldmann, R. J. (1990). Positive feedback investment strategies and destabilizing rational speculation. Journal of Finance, 45(2), 379-395.
- Edelen, R., & Warner, J. (2001). Aggregate price effects of institutional trading: A study of mutual fund flow and market returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 59(2), 195-220.
- Edwards, F. R., & Zhang, X. (1998). Mutual funds and stock and bond market stability. Journal of Financial Services Research, 13(3), 257-282.
- Goetzmann, W., & Massa, M. (2003). Index funds and stock market growth. Journal of Business, 76(1), 1-28.
- Harris, L., & Gurel, E. (1986). Price and volume effects associated with changes in the standard-and-poor-500 list - New evidence for the existence of price pressures. Journal of Finance, 41(4), 815-829.
- Humeyra, B., & Filiz, Y. (2011). The dynamics between mutual funds flows and stock returns: Empirical evidence from the Turkey markets. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, 3(1), 95-109.
- Kumar, S., & Dhanda, D. (2016). Impact of mutual fund investment on nifty return in India: An econometric analysis. Advances in Economics and Business Management, 3(7), 672-676.
- Lobao, J., & Levi, A. (2016). The relation between mutual fund flows, stock returns, and macroeconomic variables: Evidence from Portugal. Portuguese Journal of Finance, Management, and Accounting, 2(4), 54-75.
- Matuszewski, A. J., Suchodolska, D. J., & Mentel, G. (2019). Evaluation of short-term relationships between selected investment funds and the capital market in Poland. Acta Polytechnica Hungarica, 16(5), 25-41.
- Mishra, P. K. (2011). Dynamics of the relationship between mutual funds investment flow and stock market returns in India. Vision-The Journal of Business Perspective, 15(1), 31-40.
- Mosebach, M., & Najand, M. (1999). Are the structural changes in mutual funds investing driving the US stock market to its current level? Journal of Financial Research 22, 317-329.
- Qureshi, F., Ali, M. K., Ghafoor, A., Khan, H. H., & Qureshi, Z. (2019). Dynamics of mutual funds and stock markets in Asian developing economies. Journal of Asian Economics, 101-135. doi:10.1016/j.asieco.2019.101135
- Rakowski, D., & Wang, X. X. (2009). The dynamics of short-term mutual fund flows and returns: A time-series and cross-sectional investigation. Journal of Banking & Finance, 33(11), 2102-2109.
- Roy, S., & Ghosh, S. K. (2013). Can mutual fund predict the future? An empirical study. Journal of Commerce and Accounting Research, 2(1), 1-9.
- Warther, V. A. (1995). Aggregate mutual fund flows and security returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 39(2-3), 209-235.
- Yangbo, B., Wickramanayake, J., Watson, J., & Tsigos, S. (2010). The relationship between mutual fund flows and stock market returns: A comparative empirical analysis. Corporate Ownership & Control, 8(1), 785-795.
Abstract Views: 45
PDF Views: 1