Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Study of Quarterly Earnings Announcement and Stock Price Reactions–With Reference to Nifty Midcap 150
Market efficiency is a factor that has been marked as an important aspect since late 1950s. Researchers know three forms of EMH1 for analyzing market efficiency. Many researchers like (Akinyi & Melissa, 2017), (Kendirli & Elmali, 2016), (Shah & Arora, 2014), (Suwanna, 2012), and (Yvonne & Mukora, 2014) had tried to identify the relationship between corporate announcements like earnings, dividend declaration, and the latter’s impact on the market as a performance indicator. In this paper, we have tried to examine the impact of quarterly results on Nifty Midcap 150 index. The study is based on quarterly announcement of financial results for 148 companies. The whole portfolio is classified as good-news and bad-news portfolio on the basis of comparative study of quarterly financial results announcement with the same time period as of previous year. In good-news portfolio, there is an increase in the percentage of net profit as compared to the same quarter of previous year. We have used t-test, Sign and Runs test for checking of hypothesis. AARs2 and CAARs3 have been found to be mostly positive rather than negative and the market is found to be efficient under the semi-strong form.
Event Study, Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH), Average Abnormal Return (AAR), Nifty Midcap 150, Quarterly Earnings Announcement.
- Akinyi, O. M., & Melissa, A. G. (2017). Effect of earnings announcement on share prices of companies listed at the Nairobi securities exchange. European Business & Management, 3(2), 29-36.
- Chander, R., Mehta, K., & Sharma, R. (2008). Empirical evidences on weak form stock market efficiency: The Indian exprience. Decision IIM Calcutta, 35(1), 75-109.
- Degutis, A. (2014). The efficient market hypothesis: A critical review of literature and methodology. Ekonomika, 93(2), 7-23.
- Dsouza, J. J. (2015). Does the Indian stock market exhibit random walk ? Sage Journals, 19(1), 1-20.
- Kendirli, S., & Elmali, M. E. (2016). The effects of right offering announcements on returns of shares of deposit banks traded in istanbul stock-exchange. Journal of Economic Development, Environment and People, 5(1), 74-82.
- Mallikarjunappa, T., & Dsouza, J. J. (2014). A study of quarterly earnings announcement and stock price reactions. AIMS, 20(4), 2142-2157.
- Mallikarjunappa, T., & Manjunatha, T. (2009). Stock price reactions to dividend announcements. Journal of Management & Public Policy, 1(1), 43-56.
- Naseer, M., & Tariq, Y. (2015). The efficient market hypothesis: A critical review of the literature. The IUP Journal of Financial Risk Management, 12(4), 48-64.
- Poshakwale, S., 1996. Evidence on weak form efficiency and day of the week effect in the Indian stock market. Finance India, 10(3), 605-616.
- Shah, P., & Arora, P. (2014). M & A announcements and their effect on return to shareholders: An event study. Accounting and Finance Research, 3(2), 170-190.
- Suwanna, T. (2012). Impacts of dividend announcement on stock return. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 40, 721-725.
Abstract Views: 44
PDF Views: 0