Effects of Habitual Physical Activity Level (PAL) on Simple Visual and Auditory Reaction Time in Healthy Indian Adults
Aim To find the correlation between physical activity level(PAL) and simple visual and auditory reaction time(SVRT and SART), which are tests for cognition .
Material and Method: One hundred(100) healthy volunteers of both the genders(males 52 and females 48), aged between 18 and 50 years were recruited. Reaction time (RT), is defined the elapsed time between the presentation of a stimulus and the subsequent behavioral response to occur. Subjects were presented with red light for VRT and pure tone sound stimuli for ART. Reaction time is a measure of the coordination between the sensory and motor system occurs. The physical activity level (PAL) was determined by administering a physical activity level questionnaire developed by the Division of Nutrition, St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore. The PAL of an individual classified as follows: sedentary<1.4 moderately active 1.55 to 1.75, and heavily active .1.75.
Result: Statistical analysis of data was done by one-way ANOVA with Post-hoc by Turkey HSD test. The results were found to be significant. There is a negative correlation between the SVRT and PAL with R2 value of 0.006; SART and PAL with R2 value of 0.001 .
Conclusion: In this study we observed that when there is increase in the PAL, there is significantly faster ART and VRT. Therefore, more physically active individuals have better reaction times and are more coordinated at motor tasks when compared to less physically active.
- Mondal S, Van Belle S India’s NCD strategy in the SDG era: are there early signs of a paradigm shift? Global Health. 2018 Apr 25;14(1):39. doi: 10.1186/s12992-018-0357-6.
- Bharti AV, Sandhya N, V az M The development and characteristics of physical activity level questionnaire for epidemiological studies in urban middle class Indians. Indian J Med Res 2000; 111: 95-102
- Bouchard C, Shephard RJ, Stephens T. Physical activity, fitness and health. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1994:77-88.
- Shephard RJ. How much physical activity is needed for good health. Int J Sports Med 1999;20:23–7.
- Teichner, Warren H. Recent studies of simple reaction time. Psychological Bulletin 51.2 (1954):128.
- T.G.Matthew Pain and A. Hibbs, “Sprint Starts and the Minimum Auditory Reaction Time,” Journal of Sports Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2007, pp. 79-86.
- Duke-Elder S. Franciscus Cornelis Donders. Br J Ophthalmol. 1959;43:65–8
- Welford AT. Choice reaction time: Basic concepts. In: Welford AT, editor. Reaction Times. New York: Academic Press; 1980. pp. 73–128.
- Luce RD. London: Academic Press; 1968. [Last accessed on 2011 Aug 08]. Information Theory of Choice. Reaction Times. Available from http:// www.biology.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110reaction.htm.
- Levitt S and Gutin B Multiple choice reaction time and movement time during physical exertion. Research quarterly 1971;42: 405-410
- Kashihara K and Nakahara Y. Short term effect of physical exercise at lactate threshold on choice reaction time. Perceptual and Motor Skills 2005 100;2: 275-291.
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Herrmann SD, Meckes N, Greer JL, Vezina J, Basett DR. Jr, Tudor - Locke C, Whitt- Glover MC, Jacobs DR. Jr., Leon AS. 2011 Compendium of Physical Activities: a second update of codes and MET values Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Aug;43(8):1575-8, doi:10 1249/MSS.0b03e31821 ecs
- Thomas JI, Venkatesh D. A comparative study of the effects of superbrain yoga and aerobic exercise on cognitive functions. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2017;7(9):895.
- 14.Jain A, Bansal R, Kumar A, Singh KD A comparative study of visual and auditory reaction times on the basis of gender and physical activity levels of medical first year students. Appl BasicMed Res 2015 May-Aug ; 5(2): 124-127
- Karia RM, Ghuntla TP, Mehta HB, Gokhle PA, Shah CJ. Effect of gender difference on visual reaction time: A study on medical students of Bhavnagar region. IOSR-PHR. 2012;2:452-4
- R. Niruba and Maruthy KN. Assessment of auditory and visual reaction time in Type 2 Diabetes- A case control study. Al Ameen J MedSci (2011)4(3):274-279
- Physical Activity Guideline Advisory Committee. Physical Activity Guideline Advisory Committee Report. Washington(DC): US Department of Health and Human Services; 2008. p 23.
- Skandan KP, Mehta SK, Mehta YB, Gaur HK.Visuo motor co-ordination time in normal children. Ind Ped 1980; 17: 275-278.
- Gavkare AM, Nanaware NL, Surdi AD. Auditory reaction time, visual reaction time and whole body reaction time in athletes. Indian Medical Gazette2013; June: 214-219.
- Jain AK. Manual of Practical Physiology. New Delhi: Avichal Publishing Company, 2000;p291
- Shenvi D and Balasubramanian P. A comparative study of visual and auditory reaction time in males and females. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol, 1994; 38: 229-231.
- Nikam LH and Gadkari JV. Effect of age, gender and body mass index on visual and auditory reaction times in healthy Indian population. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2012; 56(1): 94- 99.
- Gunstad J, Lhotsky A, Wendell CR, Zonderman AB. Longitudinal Examination of Obesity and Cognitive Function: Results from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging Neuroepidemiology.2010 May; 34(4): 222–229.
- Weuve J, Kang JH, Manson JE, Breteler MMB, Ware JH, Grodstein F. Physical Activity, Including Walking, and Cognitive Function in Older WomenJAMA. 2004;292(12):1454-1461. doi:10.1001/jama.292.12.1454
- Erickson KI, Hillman C, Stillman CM, Ballard RM, Bloodgood B, Conroy DE et al. Physical Activity, Cognition, and Brain Outcomes: A Review of the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2018 Jun ;51(6): 1242-1251.
Abstract Views: 278
PDF Views: 0