Mind Mapping Applied as a Pedagogical Tool for MBBS Students
Background: To assess efficacy of mind mapping technique in lecture classes versus traditional didactic lectures on immediate and long-term memory.
Materials & Method: 150 First MBBS students, randomized into two groups (75 each), by simple random technique (odd roll number-group 1, even roll number-group 2). Study group (Mind mapping group) Control Group (didactic lecture /non mind mapping group).Batches reversed for another topic to address ethical issues.MCQ test was taken after class for short term memory, after a month for long term memory.
Results: Descriptive and inferential statistics (paired t test and independent t test) was used to compare the data. P value of Mind Mapping group when compared to Non Mind Mapping group in terms of both short term and long term memory was highly significant (p< 0.0001) for both topic 1 and 2. P value was not statistically significant when short term and long term memory of mind mapping group was compared. But highly significant p value (p< 0.0001) was observed when short term and long term memory of Non Mind Mapping group was compared.
Conclusion: The performance of Mind Map Group is better than the Non Mind Map Group both in terms of short term and long term memory.
Mind mapping used as a pedagogical tool can improve the academic scores of students.
- Farrand P, Hussain F, Hennessy E. The efficacy of the mind map’ study technique. Medical education. 2002 May;36(5):426-31.
- Jain S. The comprehensive study of how mind mapping technique helps to understand concepts and ideas in science teaching. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2015 Dec;5(12):284-6.
- Jones BD, Ruff C, Snyder JD, Petrich B, Koonce C. The effects of mind mapping activities on students’ motivation. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2012;6(1).
- Goodnough K, Woods R. Student and Teacher Perceptions of Mind Mapping: A Middle School Case Study. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (New Orleans, LA, April 1-5,2002).
- I mind Super User Account 3 Psychology Research Studies Regarding Mind Mapping (internet)( Accessed on Wednesday, December 20, 2017). Available from https://www.imindq.com/blog/3-psychology-research-studies-regarding-mind-mapping#
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 0