Effect of Peppermint Aroma on Short Term Memory and Cognition in Healthy Volunteers
Introduction: Aroma therapy is one of the method used to improve alertness, memory and mood enhancements. The previous study conducted on patients suffering from dementia has shown positive effect sleep and improvement in behavior. This pilot study was conducted with Peppermint aroma to see the effect on psychomotor skill and cognitive function.
Method: This study was carried out in the department of Physiology,Narayana Medical College, and Nellore.26 young male adults were selected for the study age between 20-30yrs. All the subjects underwent battery of psychomotor and cognitive tests. The tests were conducted in the morning hours of the day between 9 A.M. -11.00A.M.
Results: The preliminary analysis of the data showed marked improvement in the Visual and Auditory reaction time which was statistically significant and the p-values are <0.01 and 0.005 respectively. The CFF frequency and the short term memory test did not show any change in the results and also found to be not significant statistically. The counting number test shows remarkable improvement which is significant (P- <0.001) which suggests enhancement in concentration with peppermint aroma exposure.
Conclusion: we found improvement in Auditory and Visual reaction time and Number countdown test which were statistically significant. This suggests peppermint aroma exposure even for a short time such as 5 min improves math function to a great extent.
- Mishkin M, Appenzeller T. The anatomy of memory. Scientific American. 1987 Jun 1;256(6):80-9.
- Manuel SJ, Syazwan M, Han CW, Fazliyana WN, Awal MB. Peppermint and Lavender Essential Oils : Are They Therapeutic Aromas for Attention and Memory ? 2014;9(1):6–11.
- Moss M, Hewitt S, Moss L, Wesnes K. MODULATION OF COGNITIVE PERFORMANCE AND MOOD BY AROMAS OF PEPPERMINT AND. 2008;(July 2006):59–77.
- Gaygen DE, Hedge A. Effect of Acute Exposure to a Complex Fragrance on Lexical Decision Performance. 2009;85–91.
- Holmes C, Ballard C. Aromatherapy in dementia. 2004;10:296–300.
- Meamarbashi A, Rajabi A. The effects of peppermint on exercise performance. 2013;1–6.
- Raudenbush B, Grayhem R, Sears T, Wilson I. Effects of peppermint and cinnamon odor administration on simulated driving alertness, mood and workload. North American Journal of Psychology. 2009 Jul 1;11(2).
- Herz RS. Aromatherapy facts and fictions: a scientific analysis of olfactory effects on mood, physiology and behavior. International Journal of Neuroscience. 2009 Jan 1;119(2):263-90.
- McCombs K, Raudenbush B, Bova A, Sappington M. Effects of Peppermint Scent Administration on Cognitive Video Game Performance. North American Journal of Psychology. 2011 Dec 1;13(3).
- Ilmberger J, Heuberger E, Mahrhofer C, Dessovic H, Kowarik D, Buchbauer G. The influence of essential oils on human attention. I: Alertness. Chemical Senses. 2001 Apr 1;26(3):239-45.
- Morgan R. The Effects of Peppermint and Orange Aromas on Mood and Task Performance: A Research Study and Process Narration.
- Fox M, Krueger E, Putterman L, Schroeder R. The Effect of Peppermint on Memory Performance. Journal of Advanced Student Science.. 2012;1:1-7.
- Kumar AS, Padmavathi R, Maruthy KN, Sowjanya B, KUMAR K. An Innovative Technique to Evaluate Quantitative Pupillary Light Reflex by Dynamic Pupillometry using Infrared Videography. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research. 2019 Apr 1;13(4).
- Ramadevi P, Maruthy KN, Padmavathi R, Kumar AV, Kareem SK. Evaluation of Static Pupil Size Using Digital Web Camera through Image Analysis. International Journal of Physiology. 2019;7(3):7-11.
- Pullaganti M, Kumar SA, Maruthy KN, Gurja JP, Chintala KK. Association of stress with heart rate variability in different phases of the menstrual cycle. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2019;9(3):256-60.
- Kumar CK, Kumar AS, Madhurima P, Maruthy KN, Preetham GJ. Assessment of psychomotor skills using finger pulse guided biofeedback tool in young medical students. Annals of Medical Physiology. 2018 Dec 31;2(4):36-9.
- Kumar CK, Maruthy KN, Sasikala P, Gurja JP, Kumar AV, Kareem SK. Impact of chronic alcoholism on temporal cognition and coordination of motor activity. International Journal of Physiology. 2018;6(4):124-7.
Abstract Views: 51
PDF Views: 0