Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Tata Nano to Nano Twist:The study of Business and Marketing Challenges
Globalization and technological advancements are the key prime factors that have led to the creation of competitive and complex market place. The aspirations and customer needs are changing at a phenomenal pace, creating immense challenge for the organizations. Subsequently, in the dynamic word effective brand positioning remains inevitable. Effective brand positioning assists the customers to know the real differences among the competing products, eventually leading to a better and justified selection of products by the end user. The following case study on Nano, considered as dream project of Mr. Ratan Tata, was envisioned with an objective to provide affordable mobility solutions to middle class Indians. The case focuses on how the initial strategies for launching and positioning Tata Nano as a “People’s Car” backfired and how management recognized its shortcomings and mistakes that led to the wrong positioning of Tata Nano as “Worlds Cheapest Car” among the segment it was created for. And how finally after four years of its commercial launch, understanding the inevitability of positioning management repositioned Tata Nano as a “Smart City Car” by focusing on the youth to rejuvenate its image.
Positioning Disaster, Perception, Value for Money, Repositioning.
- Adil Jal Darukhanawala, (2009, Dec 24), Tata Nano, Bajaj Pulsar car and bike of the year. Retrieved from: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2009-12news/28410537 1_tata-nano-year-award-bike-maker.Accessed on 26th July, 2013.
- Atmadip Ray. (2009, Apr 9), Bank loans for Tata Nano will come cheaper. Retrieved from http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2009-04-09/news/27665188_1_car-loan-nano-financing-tata-nano. Accessed on 14th August, 2013
- Avinash Nair: Two years on, Tata Nano sales yet to hit top gear Ahmedabad, Thu Apr 26 2012, retrieved from http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/two- years –on-tata-nano-sales –yet –to hit- top-gear/9411736
- Branding expert Jack Trout’s advice on Nano: Kill it, shut it, and forget it by. (2013, Nov 14) Retrieved from:http://www.firstpost.com/business/branding-expert-jack-trouts-advice -on-nano-kill-it-shut-it-forget-it-1228987.html?utm_source=ref_article. Accessed on 18th January, 2014
- Diana Farrell and Eric Beinhocker. (2007, May 19).Next big spenders: India’s middle class Retrievedfrom http://www.mckinsey.com/Insights/MGI/In_the_news/Next_big_spenders_Indian_middle_class. Accessed on 28th November, 2013.
- H. S. Adithya (2013).Customer Perception and Behaviour of car Owners – an Empirical Study in Bangalore City .GRA - Global Research Analysis 2 (1), pp 104-107.
- Kalafatis, S.P., Tsogas, M.H., Blankson, C., 2000. Positioning strategies in business markets. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing 15 (6), pp 416-437.
- Kapferer, J.-N. (1992) ‘Strategic Brand Management’, Free Press, New York, NY and Kogan Page, London.
- Lijee Philip, (2014, Jan 19). Tata Motors 5 key strategies to lure youngsters towards Nano Twist. Retrieved from: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/20140119/news/46347209_1_tata_motors -smart-city-car-karlslym. Accessed on 17/04/2016.
- . Mark Rainford (2008): Nanomania overwhelms Indian car market, Autocar UK, 7 Feb, 2008 Retrieved on 17/04/2016.
- . New Nano ‘Celebrate Awesomeness’ TV commercial breaks record! Crosses 5 million YouTube views in just 30 days (2013). Retrieved from: http://www.tatamotors.com/media/display-press-releases.php?id=882. Accessed on 4/10/2016.
- . Nikhil Inamdar. (2013, Nov 14). Kill’ the Nano, says Jack Trout. Retrieved from http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/kill-the-nano-says-jack-trout 113111400655_1.html. Accessed on 27/10/ 2016.
- . Piyush Kumar: Tata Nano- A Study on Business Challenges in India, January 8, 2012, retrieved from http://piyushkumar.worldpress.com/2012/01/08/tata-nano-a study-on-business-challenges-in-India. Accessed on 21/04/2016
- . Ratan Tata-, A Promise is a Promise, as retrieved from http://www.netbhet.com/2009/04/promise -is- a -promise-ratan-tata, html on 16/04/2016.
- . Ratan Tata: Marketing Nano as ‘cheapest car’ was a mistake (Nov 29, 2013). Retrieved fromhttp:// timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Ratan-Tata-Marketing -Nano-as-cheapest-car-was-amistake/articleshow/26588240.cms. Accessed on 13/04/ 2016.
- . Ravi Balakrishnan. (2012, Jan 18).Tata Nano trying to navigate perceptions rising out ofatroubledproduct.Retrieved from: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-01 18/news/30639129_1_tata-nano-rediffusion-ad. Accessed on 5th August 2016.
- . Ries, A. and Trout, J. (1986), Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind, 1st ed., revised, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
- . Sinha, Suveen & Sen Sunny, “The New Nano Promise”, Business Today (March 30, 2014)
- . Tata Motors opens Tata Nano sales in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh (2010).Retrieved from: http://www.tatamotors.com/media/display-press releases.php? Id=561. Accessed on 5/10/16 on 13/04/2016
- . Tata Nano becomes the first Auto Brand in India to cross 3 million fans on Facebook (2013) Retrieved from: http://www.tatamotors.com/media/display-press-releases.php?id=826. Accessed on 5/10/2016.
- . Tata Nano car catches fire in Anand district. (2010, Apr 7). Retrieved from http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2010-04-07/news/27609258_1_tata-nano-car-brand
- . Tata Nano loan in 48 hours from Tata Motors Finance; (2010). Retrieved from
- . http://www.tatamotors.com/media/display-press-releases.php?id=625. Accessed on 8/10/2016.
- . Tata Nano’s poor show due to wrong positioning, says Tata. (2012, Jan 6).Retrieved from http://www.indianexpress.com/news/nano-s-poor-show-due-to-wrong-positioning-says-tata/896417/#sthash.uIJGVfLw.dpuf. Accessed on 10/10/2016.
- . Tata Nano’s design receives world’s oldest and coveted international award (2010). Retrieved from http://www.tatamotors.com/media/display-press-releases.php?id=627 Accessed on 5/10/2016.
- . www.acma.in/ý (Automotive Component Manufacturers Association of India).
- . www.indianexpress.com/article/business/business-others/sales-of-tata-nano-worlds-cheapest-car-set-to-hit-six-year-lows.
- . www.siamindia.com (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers)
- . www.tatamotors.com
Abstract Views: 21
PDF Views: 0