Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Development of a Tourist Risk Perception (TRP) Scale
The goal of this research note is to outline the procedure for developing a scale for measuring Risk Perception among tourists. The data were collected from snowball sample of visitors to a tourist destination at the beginning of the tourist season. The findings support the presence of 6-risk classification as against the seven types of risks highlighted in the previous literature. Findings further revealed a new risk criteria being identified as Exhaustion Risk.
Tourism, Perceived Risk, Risk Types, Reliability, Validity.
- Bauer, R. A. (1960). Consumer Behavior as Risk Taking. In Hancock, R.S., Ed., Dynamic Marketing for a Changing World, Proceedings of the 43rd. Conference of the American Marketing Association, 389-398.
- Dellarocas, C. (2013). The digitization of word of mouth: Promise and challenges of online feedback mechanisms. Management science, 49(10), 1407-1424.
- Fuchs, G., & Reichel, A. (2011). An exploratory inquiry into destination risk perceptions and risk reduction strategies of first time vs. repeat visitors to a highly volatile destination. Tourism Management, 32(2), 266-276.
- Haynes, S. N., Richard, D., & Kubany, E. S. (1995). Content validity in psychological assessment: A functional approach to concepts and methods. Psychological Assessment, 7(3), 238.
- Hinkin, T. R., Tracey, J. B., & Enz, C. A. (1997). Scale construction: Developing reliable and valid measurement instruments. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 21(1), 100-120.
- Jacoby, J., & Kaplan, L. B. (1972). The components of perceived risk. Advances in Consumer research, 3(3), 382-383.
- Le Serre, D., & Chevalier, C. (2012). Marketing travel services to senior consumers. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 29(4), 262-270.
- March, R., & Woodside, A. G. (2005). Testing theory of planned versus realized tourism behavior. Annals of Tourism Research, 32(4), 905-924.
- Mitchell, R., Hall, C. M., & McIntosh, A. (2002). Wine tourism and. Wine Tourism Around the World: Development, Management and Markets, 115.
- Mitchell, V. W., & Vassos, V. (1998). Perceived risk and risk reduction in holiday purchases: A cross-cultural and gender analysis. Journal of Euromarketing, 6(3), 47-79.
- Mitchell, V. W., Yamin, M., & Pichene, B. (1997). A cross-cultural analysis of perceived risk in British and French CD purchasing. Journal of Euromarketing, 6(1), 5-24.
- Mitchell, V. W., & Greatorex, M. (1993). Risk perception and reduction in the purchase of consumer services. Service Industries Journal, 13(4), 179-200.
- Moutinho, L. (1987). Consumer behaviour in tourism. European Journal of Marketing, 21(10), 5-44.
- Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2004). Nursing research: Principles and methods. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2006). The content validity index: are you sure you know what’s being reported? Critique and recommendations. Research in Nursing and Health, 29(5), 489-497.
- Qi, C. X., Gibson, H. J., & Zhang, J. J. (2009). Perceptions of risk and travel intentions: The case of China and the Beijing Olympic games. Journal of Sport & Tourism, 14(1), 43-67.
- Reisinger, Y., & Mavondo, F. (2005). Travel anxiety and intentions to travel internationally: Implications of travel risk perception. Journal of Travel Research, 43(3), 212-225.
- Roehl, W. S., & Fesenmaier, D. R. (1992). Risk perceptions and pleasure travel: An exploratory analysis. Journal of Travel Research, 30(4), 17-26.
- Reza Jalilvand, M., & Samiei, N. (2012). Perceived risks in travelling to the Islamic Republic of Iran. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 3(2), 175-189.
- Sheng-Hshiung, T., Gwo-Hshiung, T., & Kuo-Ching, W. (1997). Evaluating tourist risks from fuzzy perspectives. Annals of Tourism Research, 24(4), 796-812.
Abstract Views: 42
PDF Views: 1