Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Quality of Life of People Living With HIV
The study on „Quali tyof Life of Peopl e Living wi th HIV (PLHIV)‟ was carried out in 2 NGOs in Ooty, the Nilgiris Distri ct. Fifty eight PL-HIV registered under the two NGOs were screened using the WHOQoL - Bref. Forty-Six PL-HIV with low quality of lifewere selected for the study by Convenience Sampling Method. They were 18 male and 28 female PL-HIV between the age range of 20-54 years (Mage= 37.46). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, a psychologi cal intervention was given to each sample individually 2 days a week for 16 weeks. On the whole, 32 sessions were given to the enti re sample. The duration of each session was 45 minutes to 1 hour. After 16 weeks of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, the enti re sample was re-assessed using the WHOQoL - Bref. The experimental design used was „Assessment before and after treatment wi thout control group‟.The mean quali ty of life before treatment in male was M= 50.28 and female wasM= 50.14. The data reflects low quality of life in both the genders. After treatment the quality of life has increased considerably in male (M= 74.44) and female (M= 79.50) PL-HIV. The„t‟ value is 6.88 in male and 11. 85 in female which is significant at 0.01 level . ANOVA test showed that Quali ty of Life was „Bad‟ before therapy and after the treatment of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, the level of Quali ty of Life improved to„Average‟. The techniques of Self-Moni toring, Self-Control and Self-Observation helped the PL-HIV to enhance their Quality of Life.
Quality of Life, People Living with HIV (PLHIV), Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Anand, D., Puri , S. & Mathew, M. (2012).Assessment of quality of life of HIV- positive people receiving art: An Indian perspective. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 37(3).165- 169.http://www.ijcm.org.in/article.asp?issn=0970-0218;year=2012;volume=37; issue=3;spage=165;epage=169;aulast=Anand.
- Hasanah, C.I., Zaliha, A.R. &Mahiran, M. (2010).Factors influencing the quality of life in patientswi th HIV in Malaysia.Quality of Life Research.2-3. Isabel Allende (2013).
- BrainyQuotehttp://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/i/isabelalle412257.html#vZJIGUrOWiE RuCT1.99
- Kabbash, I. A. et al . (2008). Needs Assessment and Coping Strategi es of Persons Infected wi th HIV in Egypt.http://application.emro.who.int/emhj /1406/14_6_2008_1308_1320.pdf.
- Rüütel . K., Pi sarev. H.,Loi t. M&Uusküla.A.(2009). Factors influencing quality of life of people living wi th HIV in Estoni a: a cross-sectional survey. Journal of the International AIDS Society.12-13.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine (1993). Study protocol for the Worl d Health Organization proj ect to develop a Quality of Life assessment instrument Quality of Life Research.USA. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8518769.
- WHO (1994).WHOQOL Measuring Quality of Life.Division of Mental Health andPrevention of Substance Abuse. 3-4.www.who.i nt/mental_heal th/media/68.pdf.
- WHO.(2003). WHO definition of Heal th.Worl d Heal th Organisation.2, 100.www.who.int/about/definition/en/print.html.
Abstract Views: 379
PDF Views: 0