Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Improvement of Service Quality in the Indian Automobile Service Sector - An Empirical Study
In the post liberalized industrial scenario due to the fierce competition in the global market, Indian service organizations have started implementing quality management programmes in their organi zations to improve their systems and procedures. In this context, Indian service firms are interested to know about thei r improvement in service quality delivery after implementing the quality management programmes in their organizations. After a careful analysis of various research studies so far i t seems that there i s an insufficiency of literature in developing economies than developed economies especially in automobile service sector in India. Hence the present study attempts to fill the voi d by studying the previous level of service quality delivery and current level of service quality delivery in the Indian automobile service stations. The present study found that Indian automobile service stations have improved thei r service quality delivery level with respect to all service quality factors.
Service Quality, Developing Economy, Analysis
- Ahire, L.S., Landeros, R. and Golhar, D.Y. (1995). Total Quality Management: A literature revi ew and an agenda for future research, Production and Operations Management, 4, 277-306.
- Behararavi, S., Fontenot, G.F. and Gresham, A.B. (2002). Customer process approach to building loyalty, Total Quality Management, 13(5), 603-611.
- Chen, C.N. and Ting, S.C. (2002). A study using the grey system theory to eval uate the importance of various service quality factors, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 19(7), 838-861.
- Fi roz, N.M. and Maghrabi , A.S. (1994). The rol e of services marketing in economic development: An analysis, International Journal of Management, 2, 641-747.
- Hackl , P. and Westlund, A.H. (2000). On structural equation modelling for customer satisfaction measurement, Total Quality Management, 11(4/5/6), S820-S825.
- Harris, L.C. and Goode, M. H. (2004). The four levels of loyalty and the pivotal rol e of trust: A study of online service dynamics, Journal of Retailing, 80(2), 139-158.
- Kassem, S. (1998). Servi ces marketing: The Arabian Gulf experience, Journal of Services Marketing, 3, 61-71.
- Kellogg, D.L., Youngdahl , W.E. and Bowen, D.E. (1997). On the rel ationshi p between customer participation and satisfaction: Two frameworks, International Journal of Service Industry Management, 8, 206-219.
- Kondo, Y. (2000). Attractive quality: Its importance and the points of remark, Total Quality Management, 11(4/5/6), 647-651.
- Oliver, R.L., Rust, R.T. and Varki , S. (1997). Customer delight: Foundations, findings and managerial insight, Journal of Retailing, 73(3), 311-336.
- Parasuraman, A., Zei thaml, V.A. and Berry, L.L. (1988). SERVQUAL: a multiple i tem scale for measuring customer perceptions of service quality, Journal of Retailing, Spring, 12-40.
- Rust, R.T. and Zahori k, A.J. (1993). Customer satisfaction, customer retention and market share, Journal of Retailing, 69, 193-215.
- Rust, R.T., Zahori k, A.J. and Keiningham, T.L. (1995). Return on quality (ROQ): Making service quality financially accountable, Journal of Marketing, 59(2), 58-70.
- Rust, R.T., Keiningham, T.L., Clemens, S. and Zahori k, A.J. (1999). Return on quality (ROQ) at Chase Manhattan Bank, Interfaces, March-April, 62-72.
- Saravanan, R. and Rao, K.S.P. (2007a). Validation of an instrument for measuring change-inperformance of automobile service industri es – a case study, Industrial Engineering Journal, xxxvI(5), 20-24
- Saravanan, R. and Rao, K.S.P. (2007b). Measurement of service quali ty from the customer’s perspective – an empirical study, Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, 18(4), 435-449.
- Suresh Chandar, G.S., Rajendran, C. and Anantharaman, R.N. (2002a). Determinants of customer perceived service quality: a confirmatory factor analysis approach, Journal of Services Marketing, 16(1), 9-34.
- Yavas, U., Bilgin, Z. and Shemwell , D.J. (1997). Service quality in the banking sector in an emerging economy: A consumer survey, International Journal of Bank Marketing, 15, 217-23.
Abstract Views: 711
PDF Views: 2