Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Classifying Punishment Decisions within Prisons
- Barrilleaux, Charles, and Ethan Bernick. 2003. ?Deservingness, Discretion, and the State Politics of Welfare Spending, 1990-96.? State Politics & Policy Quarterly, 3(1), 1
- Beckett, Katherine and Bruce Western. 2001. ?Governing Social Marginality: Welfare, Incarceration, and the Transformation of State Policy.? Punishment & Society 3:43-59.
- Bradbury, Mark and J. Edward Kellough. 2008. ?Representative Bureaucracy: Exploring the Potential for Active Representation in Local Government?. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 18(4): 697-714
- Bradbury, Mark and J. Edward Kellough. 2011. ?Representative Bureaucracy: Assessing the Evidence of Active Representation?. The American Review of Public Administration 41 p. 157-166
- Brehm, John and Scott Gates. 1997. Working, Shirking and Sabotage: Bureaucratic Response to a Democratic Public The University of Michigan Press
- Britton, Dana. 2003. At Work in the Iron Cage: The Prison as Gendered Organization New York University Press
- Chen, K.M. and J.M. Shapiro. 2007. ?Does Prison Harden Inmates?? American Law and Economics Review.
- Close, Billy R. and Patrick L. Mason. 2006. ?After the traffic stops: Officer characteristics and enforcement actions.? Topics in Economic Analysis & Policy, 6, 1-41.
- Close, Billy R. and Patrick L. Mason. 2007. ?Searching for efficient enforcement: Officer characteristics and racially biased policing? Review of Law and Economics 3 (2)
- Drago, Francesco , Roberto Galbiati and Pietro Vertova. 2008. ?Prison Conditions and Recidivism.? IZA Discussion Paper No. 3395, March 2008.
- Engel, Robin. 2005. ?Citizens‘ Perceptions of Distributive and Procedural Injustice During Traffic Stops with Police?. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 42 (4) pp. 445-481
- Fording, Richard C., Joe Soss, and Sanford F. Schram. ?Race and the Local Politics of Punishment in the New World of Welfare.? 2011. American Journal of Sociology 116, 5:
- Greenberg, David F. and Valerie West. 2001. ?State Prison Populations and their Growth, 1971- 19 91.? Criminology 39:615-53.
- Hurwitz, Jon, and Mark Peffley. 1997. ?Public Perceptions of Race and Crime: The Role of Racial Stereotypes.? American Journal of Political Science 41:374–401.
- Jacobs, David and Ronald E. Helms. 1996. ?Toward a Political Model of Incarceration: A Time Series Examination of Multiple Explanations for Prison Admission Rates.? American Journal of Sociology 102:323-57.
- Jacobs, David and Jason T. Carmichael. 2001. ?The Politics of Punishment Across Time and Space: A Pooled Time-Series Analysis of Imprisonment Rates.? Social Forces 80:61-91.
- Kerwin, Cornelius M. Rulemaking: How Government Agencies Write Law and Make Policy. 2003. CQ Press. Washington, DC
- Liebling, Allison. 2000. ?Prison Officers, Policing and the Use of Discretion?. Theoretical Criminology 4 (3) pp. 333-357
- Lipsky, Michael. Street-Level Bureaucracy. 1980. Russel Sage Foundation. New York McCubbins, M and Schwartz T. (1984). ?Congressional Oversight Overlooked: Police Patrols versus Fire Alarms.? American Journal of Political Science Vol. 28, No. 1. 165-179
- Matland, Richard. 1995. ?Synthesizing the Implementation Literature: The Ambiguity-Conflict Model of Policy Implementation?. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 5. (2)
- Olson, Jeremiah and Richard Fording. 2011 ?Beyond the Imprisonment Rate: The Social and Political Determinants of Prisoner Treatment.? Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, September 1-4, 2011
- Peffley, Mark, and Jon Hurwitz. 2010. Justice in America: The Separate Realities of Blacks and Whites. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Percival, Garrick L. 2009. ?Testing the Impact of Racial Attitudes and Racial Diversity on Prisoner Reentry Policies in the U.S. States.? State Politics and Policy Quarterly, Vol. 9, No. 2 (Summer 2009): pp. 176–203.
- Pew Center for the States. ?Corrections and Public Safety?. http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/topic_category.aspx?category=528
- Ridgeway, G. (2006). ?Assessing the Effect of Race Bias in Post-traffic Stop Outcomes Using Propensity Scores.? Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 22(1), 1-29
- Ringquist, E.J., 1995. ?Political Control and Policy Impact in EPA‘s Office of Water Quality.? American Journal of Political Science 39(2): 336-363.
- Rourke, Francis E. Bureaucracy, Politics and Public Policy. 1969. Little, Brown and Company. Boston
- Schneider, Anne and Helen Ingram. 1993. ?Social Construction of Target Populations: Implications for Politics and Policy.? American Political Science Review 87:334- 47.
- Smith, Kevin. 2004. ?The Politics of Punishment: A Political Model of Punishment.? Journal of Politics 66: 925-38.
- Sniderman, Paul M., and Thomas Piazza. 1993. The Scar of Race. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- Sorensen, Jon and Don Stemen. 2002. ?The effect of state sentencing policies on incarceration rates.? Crime & Delinquency 48:456–475.
- Soss, Joe, Richard C. Fording, and Sanford F. Schram. 2008. ?The Color of Devolution: Race, Federalism, and the Politics of Social Control.? American Journal of Political Science 52, 3 (July): 536-553.
- Stucky TD, Heimer K, Lang JB. 2005. ?Partisan politics, electoral competition, and imprisonment.? Criminology 43:211–48.
- Weidner, Robert R., and Frase, Richard S. 2003. ?Legal and Extralegal Determinants of Intercounty Differences in Prison Use.? Criminal Justice Policy Review 14(3): 377-400.
- Yates, Jeff, and Richard C. Fording. 2005. ?Politics and State Punitiveness in Black and White.? Journal of Politics 67(4): 1099-1121.
- Weaver, Vesla and Amy Lerman. 2010. ?Political Consequences of the Carceral State?. American Political Science Review 104: pp. 817-833
Abstract Views: 94
PDF Views: 0