Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Polytechnic Education in Ghana: A Change Management Perspective
This paper examines polytechnic education in Ghana from a change management theoretical perspective using Kurt Lewin’s model of unfreezing, moving and refreezing as an approach to Organizational Development. Through the review of literature and examination of relevant policies and documents on education in Ghana and the interaction with relevant stakeholders, the paper traces the genesis of polytechnic education in Ghana and evaluates the extent to which the upgrading of the polytechnics from second cycle to tertiary institutions made use of the three step model of Unfreezing, Moving and Refreezing. The paper discusses the rationale for the upgrading and argues that since the polytechnics as second cycle institutions retarded the human resource development of Ghana they were upgraded in response to the changing manpower needs of the nation. The paper also argues that a legal rational structuralist approach was adopted to implement the change which did not involve the organizational participants and therefore led to resistance by them. However, the polytechnics find themselves in a new era flowing from the massive infrastructural and staff development, NPT project on building leadership and management capacity in Polytechnics, the new educational reforms and the Polytechnics Act of 2007 which are attempting to stabilise the change process to make them focus on their mission to provide career focused and middle level technical manpower that is critical to the socio-economic development of Ghana.
Change Management, Ghana, Higher Education, Organisational Change, Polytechnics, Technical Manpower.
- Accra Polytechnic (undated): General information.
- Bateman T.S and Snell S.A. (1999) Management: Building competitive advantage McGraw-Hill, Boston
- Buah, F. (1980): A History of Ghana, Macmillan, UK
- Bender, S. (1997): Managing projects well: What they don’t teach you in project management school, Read Academic Publishing, Asia
- Burns B. (2004) ‘Kurt Lewin and the planned approach to change: A re-appraisal’ In Journal of management studies 41(6) pp977-1002
- Country Paper (1992) Development of education, national (Ghana) report to International conference on education and development, Geneva.
- ‘Education Reform at a Glance’ (www.moess.gov.gh accessed September 24, 2008) Eisenhardt, K.M. (1989) Building Theories from case study research, Academy of Management Review 14(4) pp532-550
- Frank, H.E.(1966):” An indirect approach to organizational involvement” in Management International Review. 4(1) pp35-53
- French, W.L. and Bell, C.H. (1990): Organizational development: Behavioural science intervention for organizational improvement, 4th ed. Princeton Hall, India. Ghana, Republic (1999) Report of the National Education Forum 17th to 19th November.
- Ghana, Republic (1991) White paper on the reforms to the tertiary education system (Command No. 0000197)
- Ho Polytechnic, (1995) Statutes of Ho Polytechnic. Honyenuga, B. (2001) Upgrading of the Polytechnics in Ghana: A Change Management Perspective. Unpublished MPA Thesis, University of Ghana, Legon
- Honyenuga, B. and Kowenhoven, W (2009) ‘Reflections on the NPT project on building leadership and management capacity in Polytechnics’ in Kowenhoven, W, Oduro, G. and Nsiah Gyabaah K (Eds)Trends in Polytechnic Education in Ghana VU University Printers Netherlands pp5-19
- Jarzabkowski, P. (2003) Strategic Practices: An activity theory perspective on continuity for change, Journal of Management Studies 40(1) pp23-55
- Kantz, D. and Kahn, R, (1966), The social psychology of organizations, John Willy and Sons.
- Leapitt, R, Waston, J and Westley, B (1958), The dynamics of planned change, Brace and World Inc. New York
- Lewin K. (1947a) ‘Frontiers in group dynamics’ in Cartwright, D. (Ed), Field theory in social science. London: Social Science Paperbacks.
- Ministry of Education (1996) Tertiary education: Questions and answers (Unpublished)
- Ministry of Education (1988): University rationalization report. Accra- Ghana
- Ministry of Education (1987) University rationalization sub- committee report on the Polytechnics, Accra- Ghana
- Moorhead, G and Griffin, R.W.(1992):Organizational behavior, making people and organization, 3rd Ed. Hugton Mifflin Company, Boslin-Toronto.
- Mullins, (2002) Management and organizational behaviour.
- Nauheimer H. (Ed) (2007) Change management tool book, Accessed September 11, 2007
- N.C.T.E. (1996) Financing strategy for tertiary education in Ghana Accra-Ghana
- ‘New education reform launched’ (April 2007) www.ghanaweb.com accessed September 21, 2008 Robbins, S. (1987): Organization theory: Structure, design and applications 2nd Ed. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Schein, E. (1996) ‘Kurt Lewin change theory in the field and in the classroom: Notes towards a Model of Management learning’ systems practice, 9(1) pp 27-47
- Szamosi & Duxbury, (2002) ‘Development of measure to assess organisational change’ in Journal of Organisational change management, 15(2) pp184-201
- Polytechnics Law 1992 (PNDCL321)
- Polytechnics Act 2007 (Act 745)
Abstract Views: 115
PDF Views: 0