Open Access Subscription Access
Elemental Profile Studies of Some Soil Samples Using Particle Induced X-Ray Emission (PIXE) Technique
In this work Proton-Induced X-ray Emission (PIXE) technique has been employed for the determination of elemental concentration of soil samples. PIXE analyses have been carried out using a 2.5 MeV proton beam generated with the aid of the 3 MV tandem accelerator of the Institute Nuclear Science and Technology, Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Savar, Dhaka. The X-ray and particle spectra were processed using MAESTRO software and GUPIX software. The elements identified in the soil samples using PIXE were K: 6040.33, Ca: 2018.07, Ti: 3826.5, V: 188, Cr: 1472.22, Mn: 482.37, Fe: 33330.17, Co: 738.47, Ni: 480.95, Cu: 464.42 and Zn: 2144.93 ppm respectively. The legitimacy of the method was done by analyzing Standard Reference Material IAEA soil standard 2586 and found to be compatible. PIXE is a multi element systematic technique used for the determination of major, minor and trace elements in the range of parts per million (ppm).
PIXE, Micro-Nutrients, Macro-Nutrients.
- Allen V. Barker, D. J. Pilbeam, Handbook of plant nutrition, CRC Press, ISBN 978-0-8247-5904-9, pp. 4, Retrieved 17 August, 2010.
- Antoaneta Ene, Ion V. Popescu, Claudia Stihi, Anca Gheboianu, Ana Pantelica, Carmelia Petre, “PIXE analysis of multielem ental samples”, Rom. Journ. Phys., 55:7–8, pp.806–814, 2010.
- J. L. Campbel, D. Higuchi, J. A. Maxwell, W. J. Teesdale, “Quantitative PIXE mic roanalys is of thick specimen”, Nucl. Instr. and Met h, B 77, pp.95 -109, 1993.
- James Murray, Geoff Grim e, “Identificatio n of elements in p roteins by mic roPIXE (Proton I nduced X ray Emission)”.
- Oyuntsetseg Bolormaa, Jamsranjav Baasansuren, Katsunori Kawasaki, Makiko Watanabe, Toshiyyu ki Hattori, “Total elem ental composition a nalysis of soil samples using the PI XE technique”, Nuclear Instruments and Met hods in P hysics Researc h B 262, pp.385-390, 2007.
- S. A. E. Johanson, J. L. Campbell, “ PIXE: A Novel Techniqu e for Elemental Analysis”, Willey, Chichester, 1988.
- Syed Hafizur Rahman, Dilara Khanam, Tanveer Mehedi Adyel, Mohammad Shahidul Islam, Mo hammad Aminul Ahasan, Mohammad Ahedul Akbar, “Assessment of heavy m etal concentration of Agricutural soil around Dhaka Export Zo ne (DEPZ)”, Banglades h: Implication of seasonal variation and Ind ices”, Appl. Sci. 2012, 2, pp.584 -601; doi: 10.3390/app2030584, 2012.
Abstract Views: 78
PDF Views: 32