Alteration in Pelvic Inclination & its Correlation with Lumbar Lordosis in Pregnant Women
Method: PIA & LLA were measured with pelvic inclinometer & Flexirular respectively in a convenient sample of 100 Primigravid healthy women carrying single foetus in third trimester of pregnancy within age group of 21.61 + 2.29 years & 100 healthy age matched [22.07 + 2.41years] nulliparous controls . SPSS 16 soft ware was used to calculate unpaired t value with 95% confidence interval for comparing PIA & LLA respectively between two groups and Intra-group Correlation coefficient [r value ] between PIA & LLA in both groups .
Result : PIA in study & Control groups was found to be 3.340 2.57 & 5.140 2.82 respectively where as LLA was 37.750 12.87 & 44.880 12.36 respectively. Comparison of PIA & LLA between groups showed highly significant decrease [p < 0.0000 & p < 0.0001respectively ] in both variables in study group suggesting posterior tilt associated with lumbar flattening. In both groups Intra-group correlation showed moderate correlation between PIA & LLA [ r=0.66 in study group & 0.6 in controls]
Conclusion: Study showed significant decrease in PIA & LLA in Pregnant women. The LLA & PIA correlated moderately in both the groups.
- Margaret Polden and Jill Mantle, Physiotherapy in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 1st Indian Edition, 1994.
- Sapsford R., Women’s Health: A textbook for Physiotherapists, Harcourt Brace and Company Asia Pte Ltd, 1998.
- S.J. Britnell, J.V. Cole and L. Isherwood (2005) Postural Health in Women:The Role of Physiotherapy. J Obstet Gynaecol Can MAI 493 – 500.
- Joanne Bullock et al (1987) The relationship of low back pain to postural changes during pregnancy. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 33 (1):10-17.
- A. Saadet Otman et al( 1989) The importance of ‘lumbar lordosis measurement device’ application during pregnancy, and post-partum isometric exercise. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 31(2):155-162.
- Joanne E. Bullock-Saxton (1991)Changes in posture associated with pregnancy and the early post-natal period measured in standing. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice 7(2):103-109.
- Franklin M E and Conner-Kerr T (1998) An analysis of posture and back pain in the first and third trimesters of pregnancy. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 28(3):133-8.
- K. Moore, G. A. Dumas and J. G. Reid (1990) Postural changes associated with pregnancy and their relationship with low-back pain. Clinical Biomechanics 5(3):169-174.
- Ostgaard HC et al (1993) Influence of some biomechanical factors on low-back pain in pregnancy. Spine 18(1):61-5.
- Julie Colliton (1996) Back Pain and Pregnancy: Active Management Strategies. The physician and sports medicine: 24 (7):1-8.
- Paul L. Sanderson et al (1996) The influence of Pregnancy on the development of degenerative spondylolysthesis. J Bone Joint Surg; 78-B: 951-4.
- Wendy L, Gilleard J and Mark M Brown (1996) Structure and function of the abdominal muscles in primigravid subjects during pregnancy and the immediate postbirth period. Phys Ther 76: 750 -762.
- Snijders G.J, Snijder J D,& Hoest H T Change in the form of the spine as a consequence of pregnancy  Digest of the 11th International conference on Medical & Biological Engineering; Ottawa, Canada :670-67
- Hummel P -Changes in posture during pregnancy PhD thesis  Vrije universiteit de Amsterdam Academisch Pragshrift.
- Pandit U.N, BellareB.V, Yardi S.S.: Study on Lumbar curvature in pregnant women ,, Journal of IAP,
- Levine D ,Whittle MW  The effects of pelvic movement on lumbar lordosis in the standing position .J Orthop Sports Phys Ther; Sept, 24:130-5
- Crowell RD, Cummings GS, Walker JR and Tillman LJ (1994) Intratester and intertester reliability and validity of measures of innominate bone inclination. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 20(2):88-97
- Martha Walker et al (1987) Relationship between lumbar lordosis, pelvic tilt and abdominal muscle performance. physical therapy 67 (4) :512-16.
- Hart DL, &S J Rose Reliability of non invasive method of measuring LL  J Orthop. Sports Phys.Ther;8:180-184
- Franklin W Lovell, Jules M Rothstein and Walter J Personius (1989) Reliability of clinical measurements of lumbar lordosis taken with a flexible rule. Phys Ther 69:96-105.
- Martha R. Hinman (2003 / 2004) Interrater reliability of flexicurve postural measures among novice users. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation17(1 ):33 – 36
- Carol S Link et al (1990) Lumbar curvature in Standing and Sitting in Two types of Chairs : Relationship of Hamstring and Hip Flexor Muscle Length. Physical Therapy 70 (10):611-618.
- S. E. Sandler (1996) Management of low back pain in pregnancy. Manual Therapy 1(4):178-185.
- Jan Perkins, Roger L. Hammer and Peter V. Loubert (1998) Identification and management of pregnancy-related low back pain. Journal of Nurse-Midwifery 43( 5):331-340
- OkanishiN ,Kito N, Akiyama M, Yamamoto M .Spinal curvature & characteristics of postural change in pregnant women; Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand, March 19.doi:10.1111/j.1600-0412. 2012.01400.x.[Epub ahead of print]
- Raphaël Vialle et al(2005) Radiographic Analysis of the Sagittal Alignment and Balance ofs the Spine in Asymptomatic Subjects. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American).87:260-267.
- Yasukouchi A and Isayama T(1995 ) The relationships between lumbar curves, pelvic tilt and joint mobilities in different sitting postures in young adult males. Appl Human Sci. 14(1): 15-21
- Penny G. Kroll et al(2000) The relationship between lumbar lordosis and pelvic tilt angle Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 14( 1-2 ):21 – 25.
Abstract Views: 233
PDF Views: 0