Effect of Mechanical Low Back Pain on Postural Balance and Fall Risk
Materials and Method: This study was conducted on 20 mechanical low back pain (MLBP) subjects compared with 20 norms using the Biodex Balance System to evaluate balance as the dependent variable including postural stability, fall risk and limits of stability.
Result: There were significantly differences between both groups in the postural stability test (p=0.0008), fall risk test (p=0.0093) and limits of stability test (p= 0.0001) revealing the increase in fall risk with MLBP.
Conclusion: It could be concluded that balance exercises are essential and should be considered during rehabilitation of LBP patients.
- Biering S.F. Low back trouble in a general population of 30-, 40-, 50-, and 60-year-old men and women: Study design, representativeness and basic results, Dan Med Bull, 1982; 29: 289–299.
- Nagi S.Z, Riley L.E, Newby L.G. A social epidemiology of back pain in a general population, J Chron Dis., 1973; 26: 769–779.
- Nachemson A.L. Advances in low-back pain, Clin Orthop, 1985; 200: 266–278.
- Ambrosius F.M, Kremer A.M, Herkner P.B, DeKraker M, Bartz S. Outcome comparison of workers’ compensation and noncompensation low back pain in a highly structured functional restoration program, Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 1995; 21(1):7-12.
- Battie M.C, Cherkin D.C, Dunn R, Ciol M.A, Wheeler K.J. Managing low back pain: Attitudes and treatment preferences of physical therapists, Phys Ther 1994; 2: 219-226.
- Sypert G.W, Joy A.S. Evaluation and Management of the failed back syndrome, in Youmans: Neurological Surgery, ed 5. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2003; 4: 4327-4345.
- Rensick D.K, Choudhri T.F, Dailey A.T, Groff M.W, Khoo L,Matz P.G, et al. Guidelines for the performance of fusion procedures for degenerative disease of the lumbar spine .Part
- :lumbar fusion for disc herniation and radiculopathy. J Neurosurg: spine. 2005; 2: 673-678.
- White, A.A. Panjabi,M.M: Clinical biomechanics of the spine, 1990; 2nd ed, JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA,.
- Della Volpe R, Popa T, Ginanneschi F et al Changes in coordination of postural control during dynamic stance in chronic low back pain patients. Gait Posture. 2005; 24(3): 349–355
- Ruhe A, Fejer R, Walker B. Center of pressure excursion as a measure of balance performance in patients with non-specific low back pain compared to healthy controls: a systematic review of the literature.2011; 3: 358-68
- Massion J, Alexandrov A, Frolov A. Why and how are posture and movement coordinated? Prog Brain Res 2004;143:13–27.12
- Byl N.N, Sinnott P.L. Variations in balance and body sway in middle-aged adults. Subjects with healthy backs compared with subjects with lowback dysfunction. Spine 1991;16(3): 325–330.
- Pollock A.S, Durward B.R, Rowe P.J, Paul J.P. What is balance? Clin Rehabil 2000; 14(4):402–406.
- Kathleen M. Alexander, M.S, Tanya L. Kinney LaPier. Differences in Static Balance and Weight Distribution Between Normal subject and Subjects With Chronic Unilateral Low Back Pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998; 28(6):378-83.
- Hain T.C, Hillman M.A. Anatomy and physiology of the normal vestibular system. In: Herdman S edl, Vestibular Rehabilitation, 1994; 1: 3-2.
- Umphred D.A. Neurological Rehabilitation, St. Louis: C.V. Mosby Company, 1990: 2;811-821.
- Maribo T, Schiøttz C.B, Jensen L.D, Andersen N.T, Stengaard P.K. Postural balance in low back pain patients: criterion-related validity of centre of pressure assessed on a portable force platform 2012; 21(3):425-31.
- Gill, K.P, Callaghan M.J. The measurement of lumbar proprioception in individuals with and without low back pain. Spine 1998; 23,3: 371-377.
- Brumagne S, Cordo P, Verschueren S. Proprioceptive weighting changes in persons with low back pain and elderly persons during upright standing. Neurosci Lett. 2004; 366(1): 63–66.
- Wall P, McMahon S. The relationship of perceived pain to afferent nerve impulse. Trends Neurosci 1986; 6:254–5.
- Harringe, M.L, Halvorsen, K., Renstro¨m, P, Werner, S. Postural control measured as the center of pressure excursion in young female gymnasts with LBP or lower extremity injury. Gait and Posture 28 2008; 1:38-45.
- Rossi A, Decchi B, Groccia V, Della Volpe R, Spidalieri R. Interactions between nociceptive and non-nociceptive afferent projections to cerebral cortex in humans. Neurosci Lett 1998; 248:155–8.
- Rossi A, Decchi B, Ginanneschi F. Presynaptic excitability changes of group Ia fibres to muscle nociceptive stimulation in humans. Brain Res 1999; 818:12–22.
- Granat M.H, Barnett R.W, Kirkwood C.A, Andrews B. Technique for calculating the direction of postural sway. Med Biol Eng Comput 1991; 29:599-601.
- Mok N.W, Brauer S.G, Hodges P.W. Hip strategy for balance control in quiet standing is reduced in people with low back pain. Spine 2004; 29:E107–12.
- Brumagne S, Cordo P, Lysens R, Verschueren S, Swinnen S. The role of paraspinal muscle spindles in lumbosacral position sense in individuals with and without low back pain. Spine 2000; 25: 989– 994.
- Mientjes M.I, Frank J.S. Balance in chronic low back pain patients Compared to healthy people under various conditions in upright standing. Clin Biomech, 1999; 14:710–6.
- Kavounoudias A, Roll R, Roll J.P. Foot sole and ankle muscle inputs Contribute jointly to human erect posture regulation. J Physiol the Journal of Physiology, 2001; 532, 869-878.
Abstract Views: 270
PDF Views: 0