Randomized Comparison of effectiveness of Clinical Exercises and Manual Therapy Procedures Versus Clinical Exercises alone in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis of Knee
Study design: Experimental study, Randomized Control Trial.
Method: 40 patients of OA knee were recruited into two groups .Experimental Group (n=20) received Manual Therapy which included passive physiological and accessory movements (Maitland), muscle stretching and soft tissue mobilization along with clinical exercises as strengthening ,muscle stretching, range of motion exercises of knee joint and stationary bicycle. Control Group (n=20) received clinical exercises alone which included strengthening, muscle stretching, range of motion exercises of knee joint and stationary bicycle with detailed evaluation including WOMAC, ROM and all parameters of 6-minute walk test were taken as baseline as well as after 4 week of treatment.
Results: Both the groups showed clinically and statistically significant improvement in WOMAC and 6- minute walk test at 4-weeks .WOMAC scores had improved by 52% in experimental group and by 41% in control group. Average 6- minute walk had improved about 10% in both the groups.
Conclusion: There was significant improvement in both the groups; however the manual therapy and clinical exercises group was more effective in reducing pain and improving knee ROM for patients of Osteoarthritis of knee as compared to clinical exercises group.
- Corti MC, Rigon C. Epidemiology of osteoarthritis: prevalence, risk factors, and functional impact. Aging Clin Exp Res.2003; 15:359–363.
- De Filippis L, et al. Epidemiology and risk factors in osteoarthritis: literature review data from “OASIS” study [in Italian]. Reumatismo.2004; 56:169–184.
- Times of India newspaper. 6th sept. ,2007
- MK Sharma, HM Swami, et al. An Epidemiological Study of Correlates of Osteo- Arthritis in Geriatric Population of UT Chandigarh. Indian Journal of Community Medicine.2007; 32.
- Padda AS,et al. Health profile of the aged persons in urban and rural field practice areas of Medical College, Amritsar. Indian J of Community Medicine 1998; 23:72-76.
- Nutrition Research Newsletter. Knee osteoarthritis; exercise capacity and quality of life in obese individuals.2007
- Robert F. Zoeller et al, Physical Activity: Physical Activity in the Management of Osteoarthritis of the Knee and Hip, American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine,2007 ;Vol. 1: 4, 264-266
- L K Jensen et al. Knee osteoarthritis: influence of work involving heavy lifting, kneeling, climbing stairs or ladders, or kneeling/squatting combined with heavy lifting. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2008;65:72-89
- Lawrence RC,et al.Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and selected muscluskeletal disorders in united states .Arthritis Rheum .1998:41(5):778-99
- Fitzgerald GK, et al. Quadriceps activation failure as a moderator of the relationship between quadriceps strength and physical function in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum.2004; 51:40–48.
- NICE Clinical Guideline. The care and management of osteoarthritis in adults. Osteoarthritis: Jan 2008
- Brosseau L, et al. Thermotherapy for treatment of osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.2003; (4):
- Gro Jamtvedt et al. Physical Therapy Interventions for Patients with Osteoarthritis of the Knee: An Overview of Systematic Reviews. Phys Ther. 2008 :88, 1; 123-136
- Nancy E. Henderson ,et al. Effectiveness of manual physical therapy and exercise in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med.2000; 132: 173–181.
- Falconer J,et al. Effect of ultrasound on mobility in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized clinical trial. Arthritis Care Res.1992; 5:29–35.
- G D Deyle,et al. Physical Therapy Treatment Effectiveness for Osteoarthritis of the Knee: A Randomized Comparison of Supervised Clinical Exercise and Manual Therapy Procedures versus a Home Exercise Program. Physical Therapy,2005: 85
- Maitland GD. Peripheral Manipulation. Boston, Mass: Butterworth Heinemann; 1991:1–128, 221–289.
Abstract Views: 213
PDF Views: 0