Effect of Stroke on Mantainence of Balance and Sense of Equilibrium
Aims and Objective: To see the effect of stroke on balance and vestibular component.
Methodology: Ten subjects were included in the study. Subjects were asked to perform time up and Go test, MSQ and Dynamic Gait Index.
Results: The mean value of MSQ for 10 subjects was found to be 49.4. Vestibular component is affected moderately in 7 of 10 patients. The mean value of TUG is 51.86.
Conclusion: On the basis of the present study we concluded that, the orientation of vertical position and balance is affected in stroke patients.
- Alain P. Yelnik, MD; Frederique O. Lebreton, MD, Isabelle V. Bonan, MD, Florence M.C. Colle, MD, Francesca A. Meurin, MD, Jean Pierre Guichard, MD, Eric Vicaut, MD: Perception of the vertility after recent cerebral hemispheric stroke. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.2000;75(4):221-224.
- HuiMeng, Dora E. Angelaki : Responses of ventral posterior thalamus neurons to three dimensional vestibular and optic flow stimulation. Journal of neurophysiology.2009; 817 -826.
- Lee H , Kim HJ, Koo JW : Superior divisional vestibular paresis in anterior inferior cerebellar artery infarction. Journal of Neuro Sciences.2009; 285-287.
- Hans ottokarnath, Susanne Ferber : The neural representation of postural control in humans. Journal of Neuro Sciences.2010; 300-304.
- Kim HA ,Lee SR ,Lee H :Acute peripheral vestibular syndrome of a vascular cause . Journal of neurology Sciences.1999; 99 -101 .
- . M.Dieterich, P.Bartenstein: Thalamic infarctions cause side specific suppression of vestibular cortex activations. Journal of neurophysiology. 2011; 827 -830.
- Lee H, Ahn BH, Baloh RW: Sudden deafness with vertigo as a sole manifestation of anterior inferior cerebellar artery infarction, J Neuro Sci .1999; 15-22
- Andrew H Clarke: Perspectives for the comprehensive examination of semicircular canal and otolith function.Journal of Neurology. 2000; 393-400.
- Berlit.P: Isolated vertigo in vertebrobasilar ischemia especially in the first symptom of cerebellar ischemia or basilar artery occlusive disease. J Neuro Sci .2001;15-22.
- Baloh RW: vertibrobasilar insufficiency and stroke. vertigo is the most common symptom of transient ischemia within the vertibrobasilar systemotolaryngol .head neck Surg.1998;23-25.
- P Patil et al :Effects of theraband elastic resisted gait training in stroke patients: a pilot study .European Journal of Physical and rehabilitation medicine ; Vol- 47 ,2011.
- Yang YR, Yen G : Gait outcomes after additional backward training in patients with stroke .Clinical Rehab .2000;265-267.
Abstract Views: 93
PDF Views: 0