Cervico-thoracic Mobilization to Address LBA for a Patient with Lumbar Spondylolisthesis
Case Description: The patient was a 43 years old woman with LBA with radiating pain to left lower limb due to lumbar spondylolisthesis. She received stretching of levator scapulae, piriformis & rectus femoris, cervico-thoracic central PA mobilization, passive lumbar flexion mobilization, core strengthening exercises. Treatment was given 5 days a week for 20 sittings.
Outcomes: Percentage of slippage.
Conclusion: Stretching of levator scapulae and cervico-thoracic central PA mobilization may help in reducing forward slippage in lumbar spondylolisthesis.
- Newman PH, Stone KH 1963: The etiology of spondylolisthesis. The journal of bone and joint surgery 45 –B (1):39
- Magora a 1976: conservative treatment spondylolisthesis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 117: 74-9
- Moller H, Sundin a, Hedlund R 2000: symptoms, signs and functional disability in adult spondylolisthesis. Spine 25 (6) : 683-9
- Vibert BT, Sliva CD, Herkowitz HN 2006: Treatment of instability and spondylolisthesis: surgical versus nonsurgical treatment. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 443: 222 – 7
- Cavalier R, Herman Mj, Cheung EV, Pizzutillo PD 2006: Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis in children and adolescents: Diagnosis, natural history and nonsurgical management. The journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 14 (7)n : 417- 24
- Wiltse LL, Newman PH, MacNab I: Classification of Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research,1976, 117, 23-29
- Meyerding H. spondylolisthesis,Surg Gynaecology Obstetrics, 1932, 54, 371 – 7
- Brukner P, Khan K 2007: Clinical sports medicine, 3rd edn. P371 – 372. McGraw-Hill, Australia
- Zusman M. The absolute visual analogue scales (AVAS) as a measure of pain intensity. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy V 32 No 4, 1986, 244-246.
- Travell J and Simons, myofascial pain and dysfunction, the trigger point manual, William and Wilkins, 1983.
- Leon Chaitow - Muscle energy techniques 1996, Churchill Livingstone
- Maitland GD- Vertebral Manipulation, 1991, Butterworth Heinemann
- Tehan Philip, Gibbons Peter- Mnaipulation of spine, thorax and pelvis - An osteopathic approach. 2nd edition, 2007, Churchill Livingstone.
- Warren I Hammer, 2007.Functional Soft-tissue Examination & Treatment by Manual Methods Jones & Barlett Learning 3rd edition.
- Margaret Hollis, Phyl Fletcher, Cook : Practical Exercise Therapy, Wiley Blackwell,1999:4th Edn.
- Martinez LM, Khalil TM (1992): Stretching in the rehabilitation of low-back pain patients. Spine; 17(3): 311-317.
- De Deyne PG. (2001): Application of passive stretch and its implication for muscle fibres. Physical Therapy; 82(2): 819-827.
- Oolaogun M, Kem IC (2004): Reliability of rating low back pain a visual analogue scale and a semantic differential scale. Physiotherapy theory and practice; 20: 135-142.
- Thomas E. Hyde - Conservative management of sports injuries 2007
- Huijbregts PA. HSC 11.2.3. Lumbopelvic region: Anatomy and biomechanics. In: Wadsworth C. HSC 11.2. Current Concepts of Orthopaedics Physical Therapy. LaCrosse, WI: Orthopaedics Section APTA, 2001)
- Herling & Kessler, Management of common Musculo-skeletal disorders, 2nd Edn. P. 597
- Raymonds & John Evans - Manual Therapy, New York 1997
- Fritz JM, Whitman JM, Childs JD (2005): Lumbar spine segmental mobility assessment: An examination of validity for determining intervention strategies in patients with low back pain. Arch Phys Med Rehab; 86:1745-1752.
- Harms M.C, Bader D. L. (1997): Variability of forces applied by experienced therapists during spinal mobilization. Clinical Biomechanics; 12 (6): 392-399.
- Johansson F (2006): Inter examiner reliability of lumbar segmental mobility tests. Manual Therapy; 11: 331-336.
- Latimer J, Maher C. (2002). Forces applied during manual therapy to patients with low back pain. Journal Of manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics; 25: 362-269.
- Lee R, Evans J. (1997): An in vivo study of the intervertebral movement produced by Posteroanterior mobilization. Clinical Biomechanics; 12 (6); 400-408.
- Lee R, Evans J. (1994): Towards a Better understanding of spinal Posteroanterior mobilization. Physiotherapy; 80 (2): 68-75.
- McGill SM. (1999): Stability: From biomechanical concept to chiropractic practice. J.Can.Chiropr. Assoc; 43(2): 75-88.
- Mollar M, Oberg B, Ekstrand J (1985): Duration of stretching effect on Range of motion in Lower extremities. Arch Phys Med Rehab; 66:171-173.
- Potter L, Mc Carthy C, Oldham J (2006): Intra examiner reliability of identifying a dysfunctional segment in the thoracic and lumbar spine. J manipulative Physiological Therapeutics; 29: 203- 207.
- White A, Panjabi M (1990): Clinical Biomechanics of the Spine. 2nd ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Wilkinson A. (1992): Stretching the truth. A review of the literature on muscle stretching. Physiotherapy; 38(4): 283-285.
- Robert A Donatelli, Physical therapy of the shoulder, 2nd edition
Abstract Views: 286
PDF Views: 0