A Comparative Study between Relaxation Technique and Aerobic Exercise in Fatigue During Chemotherapy in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in Children
Materials and Method: 40 patients refereed by private oncologist, from government Wenlock hospital were randomly divided in two groups: Group-A received Aerobic exercise, Group-B received Jacobson's Relaxation technique. Each group received 20 min of intervention daily for a period of 3 weeks. Pre test fatigue level assessment done by Piper Fatigue Scale. After 3 weeks of Exercise protocol given for both groups, fatigue level assessment was again done by Piper Fatigue Scale.
Results: There was a significant reduction in level of fatigue in both groups, but more reduction is seen in group receiving Relaxation technique. So this study is highly significant in favor of Group B. (p < 0.01).
Discussion and Conclusion: Relaxation technique helps them to reduce disease related or treatment related stress and possibly Relaxation technique is easy to perform for children and children enjoy doing that. This study concludes that Relaxation technique is more effective in reduction of fatigue than Aerobic exercise in children.
- Marsh RW, JacobGEd. Ch.1 Introduction, The Essential of Clinical Oncology, 1st edition, JaypeeBrothers,New Delhi, 3-9pp.
- PavithranK, PuthuranP, Ch.37, Acute Leukemias, The Essential of Clinical Oncology, 1st edition, Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi,412-425
- Walter J.B, Walter&Israel, General Pathology. Ch.53 Disorders of the blood: the white cells, Seventhedition, ChurchillLivingstone,1996,861- 874pp.
- Rose Sgarlat Myers,Oncology: Examination, diagnosis and treatment. Medical and Surgical Considerations. Saunders Manual of Physical therapy Practice. W.B.SaundersCompany,1995,65-147pp.
- Rose Sgarlat Myers,Oncology: Examination, diagnosis and treatment. Physical Therapy Considerations.Saunders Manual of Physical Therapy Practice, W.B.SoundersCompany,1995,149-190 pp.
- Getting facts Fatigue_R1 9/5/06, www.lymphoma.org
- BurnettC N, Ch.4 Principles of Aerobic Exercise. Therapeutic Exercise: foundation & techniques, Kisner & Colby,3rd edition, Jaypee Brothers,New Delhi,1996,111-142pp.
- Relaxation techniques:Relaxation therapy for cancer patient–Helps patient deals with chemotherapy & radiotherapy: www. cancerline.com/cancerlinehcp, 30th September, 2006.
- RymanL. Relaxation and Visualisation In : Rankin Box,D(ed) The nurses Hand book of complementary Therapies. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone1995.
- SpecaM, A randomized wait-list controlled clinical trial:effect of a mindfulness meditation based stress reduction program on mood and symptoms of stress in cancer out patient. PsychosomMed2000;62:613-22
- Jacobsen P, et.al. Systematic review and metaanalysis of psychological and activity-based interventions for cancer-related fatigue. HealthPsychology2007;26(6).
- Physical Therapy treatment offered by cancer diagnosis: Seattle cancer care Alliance, Physical therapy department,825. Eastlake Ease, www.seattlecca.org, 31st July,2006.
- Cella DF, Progress towards guidelines for the management of fatigue. Oncology; 1998; 12(11A):369-377
- Atkinson A. NCCN Practice Guideline for cancerrelated fatigue. Oncology2000;14:151-161.
- What is fatigue/;Leukemia–lymphoma society, www.leukemia-lymphoma.org, 24th Sep 2006
- PortenoyRK, Cancer-related fatigue: guideline for evaluation and management, Oncologist 1999;4(1):1-10
- MarcheseVG, Effect of physical therapy intervention for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.Pediatr Blood Cancer 2004;42:127-133
- Dimeo FC, Effect of aerobic exercise and relaxation training on fatigue and physical performance of cancer patients after surgery. A randomized controlled trial. Supportive care in cancer:Nov.2004;vol 12(No.11)–774-779
- WatsonT,MockV. Exercise an intervention for cancer-related fatigue. PhysTher. 2004;84(8): 736-743
- Dimeo FC, Monika HM, Aerobic exercise in the rehabilitation of cancer patients after high dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral stem cell transplantation. Cancer1997;79; 1717-22
- Dimeo F, Fetscher S. Effect of Aerobic exercise on the physical performance and incidence of treatment related complication after high–dose chemotherapy.Blood,1997;Vol.90.No.9 (Nov.1) PP 3390–3394
- Dimeo F.C., B.Rumberger(1998) Aerobic exercise as therapy for cancer fatigue. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise,30:475-478
- Mock V, Dow KH, Meares CJ, Effect of exercise on fatigue, physical functioning and emotional distress during radiation therapy for breast cancer. Oncol. nurs forum 1997Jul; 24 (6)n; 991-1000
- Dzubur K, Manuel F, An exercise program Exercise for cancer supportive care: http;// www.cancersupportivecare.com/ exercise. Html.
- Dimeo F, Schwartz S, Effect of endurance training on the physical performance of patients with hematological malignancies during chemotherapy. Supportive Care in Cancer October,2003Vol.11Number10.
- Ladha, A.B. Courneya. K.S, Grundy, Paul. Effect of acute exercise on neutrophils in Pediatric Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Survivors: A Pilot Study. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology.October2006.28(10):671-677
Abstract Views: 360
PDF Views: 0