Effect of Aerobic Exercises on Plasma Lipid Profile and Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Obese Women
Method: This study was performed as an experimental study, in which subjects were randomly selected. There were sixty obese women, aged between 35-45yrs with body mass index (BMI) of above 30. Subjects were grouped into control (n=30) and aerobic training (n=30). Aerobic training was given for four days a week at 60-70% of maximum HR for 12weeks. blood lipids and cardiorespiratory fitness parameters were measured before and after study period in both groups.
Results: The findings of the study indicate statistically significant differences in lipid profile including total cholesterol, very low-density lipoprotein(VLDL), serum triglycerides(TG), and high density lipoproteins(HDL) levels in aerobic training group . body mass index (BMI) and cardio respiratory fitness parameters showed significant improvements in aerobic group.
Conclusion: Aerobic training is an effective method in improving lipid profile and cardiovascular fitness in obese women and can be used as a preventive measure in patients who are at risk of developing cardiovascular diseases due to obesity.
- Surajit Kumar MukhopadhyayStudy of Lipid Profile in Obese Individuals and the Effect of Cholesterol Lowering Agents on Them, Al Ame en J Med S c i (2 012 )5 (2 ) :1 4 7 -1 5 1.
- Equsa G, Beltz WF, Grundy SM, Influence of obesity on metabolism of apolipoprotein B in humans. J Clin Invest. 1985; 76: 596-600
- Peter G. Kopelman Obesity as a medical problem. Nature. 2000; Pp:404
- Thomas DP, Belko AZ, Mulroy GL, et al. combined effects of exercise and restriction of energy intake on moderately obese Women. Br J Sports Med. 1986;20:84-8.
- Leon AS, Sanchez OA. Response of blood lipids to exercise training alone or combined with dietary intervention. JAm College of Sports Med. 2001;33:S502-515.
- Kemi, OJ, Wisloff U. High-intensity aerobic exercise training improves the heart in health and disease. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2010;30:2-11.
- Perna F, Bryner R, Yeater R. Effect of diet and exercise on quality of life and fitness parameters among obese in¬dividuals. J Exercise Physiol 1999;2:125-31.
- World health organization. Global health risks: Mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks, (2009).
- Junichi K, masarou K. evaluation of physical fitness on cycle ergometer in obese patients. J.phy.ther.sci. 1995, 7:53-55.
- Sarsan A., Ardic F., Ozgen M., Topuz O. and Sermez Y., The effects of aerobic and resistance exercises in obese women, Clin.Reh., 2006; 20, 773-782.
- Mengistie Alemayehu Belay1, Reddy R.C.1 and Syam Babu M, The Effects of Combined Aerobic and Resistance Exercise Training on Obese, Adults, Northwest Ethiopia Res.J.Recent Sci, 2013; Vol. 2(1), 59-66, January
- Chaudhary Sarika, Manpreet Kaur Kang and Sandhu J.S., The Effects of Aerobic Versus Resistance Training on Cardiovascular Fitness in Obese Sedentary Females, Asian J. Sp. Med., 2010; 1(4), 177-184
Abstract Views: 164
PDF Views: 0