Efficacy of Eccentric Training and Muscle Energy Technique on Hamstring Flexibility in Sedentary College Students
Methodology: 40 healthy college students between the age groups of 18- 25 years were selected and were randomly assigned to two study groups. Group 1 (n= 20) subjects were treated with Eccentric Training where as Group 2 (n= 20) subjects were treated with Muscle Energy Technique. And each Group comprising of equal ratio of boys and girls. Treatment was given for 14 consecutive days and a follow up measurement was done one week after cessation of intervention. The outcome was measured in terms of Active knee extension test and Sit and reach test. Each intervention was performed for duration of 30 sec.
Results: There was a significant difference in range of motion in Active knee extension test b/etween both the groups with (p= 0.005) in right side and left side (p=0.10), whereas in Sit and reach test there is no significant difference between both the groups with (p= 0.219) according to the paired and unpaired t- test.
Conclusion: Results indicate that muscle energy technique is significantly improving hamstring flexibility. But there is no statically significant difference in muscle flexibility between boys and girl.
- Odunaiya N.A., Hamzat T.K., Ajayi O.F. The effects of static stretch duration on the flexibility of hamstring muscles.African journal of biomedical research 2005; 8( 2): 79-82
- Mohd. Waseem, Shibill Nuhmani, C.S. Ram. Efficacy of muscle energy technique on hamstring muscles flexibility in normal Indian collegiate males. Calicut medical journal 2009; (7): e4
- Nagarwal A.K., Zustshi K, Ram C.S., Zafar R. Improvement of hamstring flexibility: A comparision between two PNF stretching techniques. 2010(04);1:025-033.
- Influence of age on hamstring tightness in apparently healthy Nigerians. Journal of Nigeria society of physiotherapy,2005 October
- The effect of static stretching on a of sample 18- 25 year – old students at Saint Martin’s University. Saint Martin’s university biology journal, 2006 may; 1.
- Andrew rolls, Keith George. The relationship between hamstring muscle injuries and hamstring muscle length in young elite footballers. Physical therapy in sports 5 (2004) : 179 – 187
- Daniela nice Ferreira, Janaina Luciano Labanca, Michelle Figueiredo Silva, Aikelton Figueiredo Silva, Marco dos Anjos Cristiane Guimaraes Pessoa, Geraldo Fabiano Moraes, Natalia Bittencourt. Analysis of the influence of static stretching and eccentric training on flexibility of hamstring muscles. XXV ISBS Symposium 2007.
- Mohd. Waseem, Shibili Nuhmani, C.S. Ram, Faheem Ahmed. A comparative study : static stretching versus eccentric training on popliteal angle in normal health Indian collegiate males. Internation journal of sports science and engineer 2009 ;03(03): 180-186.
- Luiz Antonio Moreira Junior, Elder Lopes Bhering Henrique C. Peixoto, Juliana Castro Bergamini, Hans- Joachim Menzel, Antonio Eustaquio Pertence, Mauro Heleno Chagas. Range of motion and strength tolerance after eccentric strength training. XXV ISBS Symposium 2007.
- Noelle M. Selkow, Terry L. Grindstaff, Kevin M. Cross, Kelli Pugh,Jay Hertel, Susan Saliba. Short – term effect of muscle energy technique on pain in individuals with non – specific lumbopelvic pain : a pilot study. J Man Manip Ther. 2009; 17(1): E14-E18.
- Grubb ER, Hagedom EM,Inous N, Leake MJ, Lounsberry NL, Love SD,Matus JR, Morris LM, Stafford KM, Staton GS,Waters CM. Muscle energy. University of Kentucky, 2010
- Mack D Rubley, Jody B Brucker, Kenneth L Knight,Mark D Richard and David O Draper. Flexibility retention 3 weeks after a 5 – day training regime. journal sports rehabilitation, 2001 ; 10: 105- 112.
- Glen M. Depino, William G. Webright and Brent L. Arnold. Duration of maintained hamstring flexibility after cessation of an acute static stretching protocol. Journal of athletic training, 2000; 35(1):56-59.
- Madeleine smith, B. Clin. Sc.(osteo) a, Gary Fryer.A comparison of two muscle energy techniques for increasing flexibility of the hamstring muscle group.2008 october, ;12 (4) : 312 - 317.
- Ballantyne F, Fryer G, McLaughlin P. The effect of muscle energy technique on hamstring extensibility : the mechanism of altered flexibility. Journal of osteopathic medicine. 2003; 6(2): 59-63
Abstract Views: 372
PDF Views: 0