Comparison of Supervised Rehabilitation vs. Home Based Unsupervised Rehabilitation Programs after Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Pilot Study
Method: Twenty patients having primary total knee arthroplasty were assigned randomly to two rehabilitation program (1) supervised rehabilitation program group (2) home-based unsupervised rehabilitation program group. Outcome measures used to assess the outcome were (1) Knee Society Knee score for knee integrity (2) ILOA for level of assistance (3) Goniometry for ROM and (4) VAS Scale for pain.
Results: The significant difference were observed in the score of all outcome scale used for assessment. The subjects in supervised rehabilitation program group performed better compared to home-based unsupervised rehabilitation program group.
Conclusions: This pilot study shows that the supervised rehabilitation after total knee arthroplasty having better prognosis than home-based unsupervised rehabilitation program on range of motion and functional ability and pain.
- Manual of Orthopedics, 6th Edition- Editors: Swiontkowski, Marc F.; Stovitz, Steven D. page No. 342, 345, 346.
- Physiotherapy in Orthopedics -A problemsolving approach Karen Atkinson MSC M C S P Cert.Ed. DipTP Senior. Page No. 233, 253, 255, 258.
- Catherine Jane minns lowe, the university of Birmingham, 2009: The effectiveness of physiotherapy following discharge from hospital after primary total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis. Page No. 25, 33.
- John F. Kramer, PhD, 2003 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Comparison of Clinic- and Home- Based Rehabilitation Programs After Total Knee Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003 May;(410):225-34.
- Neeta Khandoo, Johannesburg, 2008: The postoperative status of total knee arthroplasty (TKA) patients on discharge from an acute setting in Johannesburg hospitals, South Africa. URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10539/7391
- Candace Lally, Johannesburg, 2007: The relationship between knee integrity and function post total knee replacement. URI: http:// hdl.handle.net/10539/5743
- Beard DJ, Dodd CAF: Home or supervised rehabilitation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A randomized controlled trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 27:134– 143, 1998.
- Insall JN, Dorr L, Scott RD, Scott WN: Rationale of the Knee Society clinical rating system. Clin Orthop 248:13–14, 1989.
- Jokl P, Stull PA, Lynch JK, and Vaughan V: Independent home exercise versus supervised rehabilitation following arthroscopic knee surgery: A prospective randomized trial. Arthroscopy 5:298–305, 1989.
- Mahomed NN, Koo See Lin MJ, Levesque L, Lan S, Bogoch ER: Determinants and outcomes of inpatient versus home-based rehabilitation following elective hip and knee replacement. J Rheumatol 27:1753–1758, 2000.
- Operative Orthopedics – Eleventh Edition by Campbell’s Page No. 259, 262, 278. 12. Orthopaedics Rehabilitation by Dr.Brotzmen. Page No. 251, 253.
- Research Methodology Practice by Petter Laake, Haakon Breien Benestad. page No. 93-99.
Abstract Views: 237
PDF Views: 0