Effectiveness of Core Muscle Stabilization Training on Dynamic Balance in Mechanical Low Back Pain Patients
Design: Prospective Experimental Study.
Participants and Outcome Measure: 30 Subjects with Mechanical Low Back Pain were selected and Core Muscle Stability Training was given. Outcome measures were recorded pre & post training program using STAR Excursion test.
Result: Data was collected & analysed using Student's paired t-test to determine changes in dynamic balance, whereas correlation was done amongst right & left lower limb in each direction pre & post training, it showed a significant difference in anterior, anterolateral, lateral, posterolateral, posterior & anteromedial directions of right lower limb and anterior, anterolateral, lateral, posterolateral, posterior, posteromedial and anteromedial directions of left lower limb.
Conclusion: Core stabilisation training is significantly effective in improving dynamic balance in mechanical low back pain patients.
- D.P. Rodriguez, T.Y. Poussaint. Imaging of Back Pain in Children. AJNR 2010; 31: 787-802.
- Anthony B. Piegaro, Jr., BS, ATC. The Comparative Effects of Four-Week Core Stabilization & Balance-Training Programs on Semidynamic & Dynamic Balance. 2003.
- Kimberly M. Samson, BS, ATC, PES. The Effects of a Five-Week Core Stabilization Training Program on Dynamic Balance in Tennis Athletes. 2005.
- Venu Akuthota, MD, Scott F. Nadler, DO. Core Strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2004; 85: 86-92.
- Venu Akuthota, Andrea Ferreiro, Tamara Moore, Michael Fredericson. Core Stability Exercise Principles. Curr. Sports Med. Rep. 2008; 7: 39-44.
- Manohar M Punjabi. The Stabilizing System of the Spine, Part I; Function, Dysfunction, Adaptation, and Enhancement. J Spinal Disord. 1992; 5:383-9.
- Jaana Suni, Marjo Rinne, Antero Natri, Matti Pasanen, Jari Parkkari, and Hannu Alaranta. Control of the Lumbar Neutral Zone Decreases Low Back Pain and Improves Self-Evaluated Work Ability. Spine. 2006; 31: E 611-20.
- Alyson Filipa, Robyn Byrnes, Mark V. Paterno, Gregory D. Myer and Timothy E. Hewett. Neuromuscular Training Improves Performance on the Star Excursion Balance Test in Young Female Athletes. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010; 40:551-8.
- Hodges PW & Richardson CA. Core stability exercise in chronic low back pain. Orthop Clin N Am. 2003; 34: 245-54.
- Vezina MJ, Kozey CL, Muscle activation in therapeutic exercises to improve trunk stability. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2000; 81:1370-9.
- Famin Farzaneh Hessari, Ali Asghar Norasteh, Hassan Daneshmandi, Solmaz Mahdavi Ortakand. 8 Weeks Core Stabilization Training Program on Balance in Deaf Students. Medicina Sportiva. 2011; 15: 56-61.
Abstract Views: 230
PDF Views: 0