Effect of Hip Position and Gender on Active Hip Internal Rotation and External Rotation on the Dominant Side
Method: 100 (50 Males & 50 Females) healthy college-age subjects with no previous hip problems were studied. Mean age was 21.8 years with a range of 18-27 years. Hip rotation of the dominant leg of each subject was measured in the prone (hip near 0" of flexion) and seated (hip near 90" of flexion) positions using a standard goniometer.
Result: Data were analyzed using t test. Our results indicate Mean values of active hip ROM for college aged students is 27.85 for internal rotation and 34.61 for external rotation in seated position & Mean values of active hip ROM for college aged students is 35.35 for internal rotation & 42.57 for external rotation in prone position.Females had statistically more active hip internal and external rotation than males.
Conclusion: These findings are clinically significant and stress the importance of documenting measurement position.
- Gajdosik RL, Bohannon RW: Clinical measurement of range of motion: Review of goniometry emphasizing reliability and validity. Phys Ther 67(72):1867- 1872, 1987
- Miller PJ: Assessment of joint motion. In: Rothstein JM (ed), Measurement in Physical Therapy, pp 103-135. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone, 1985
- Norkin CC, White Dl: Measurement of Joint Motion: A Guide to Goniometry (2nd Ed), Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Company, 1985
- American Medical Association: Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent lmpairment (3rd Ed), Milwaukee, WI: American Medical Association, 7 990
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons: Joint Motion: Method of Measuring and Recording, Chicago, IL: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 1965
- Walker JM, Sue D, Miles-Elkousy N, Ford G, Trevelyan H: Active mobility of the extremities in older subjects. Phys Ther 64(6):9 1 9-923, 1984
- James B, Parker A W: Active and pas- sive mobility of the lower limb joints in elderly men and women. Am J Phys Med Rehabil68(4): 162-1 67, 1989
- Fuss FK, Bacher A: New aspects of the morphology and function of the human hip joint ligaments. Am J Anat 192: 1- 13, 1991
Abstract Views: 121
PDF Views: 0