A Study to Compare the effectiveness of Treadmill and Cycle Ergometer on Endurance in Normal Subjects
Material and Method: Total 20 subjects divided in group A & group B (10 subjects in each group) Training using treadmill and cycle ergometer respectively was for continuous 30 days with progression regularly. 12 minute walk test walk distance was used to measure the endurance after training.
Results: There is no significant difference in effectiveness of treadmill & cycle ergometer on endurance in normal subjects. The value of tc obtained for walk distance for treadmill & cycle trainee is 0.1998 0.2
Conclusion: The study concluded that Bicycle Ergo meter is appropriate alternative to Treadmill for training in healthy volunteers. Training programme should be individualized.
- Kenneth R. Turley, Jack H. Wilmore. Cardiovascular responses to treadmill and cycle Ergometer exercise in children and adults. Journal of Applied Physiology September 1, 1997; 83 3: 948-957.
- Paul D. Thompson, MD; David Buchner, MD; Ileana L. Piña, MD; Exercise and Physical Activity in the Prevention and Treatment of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease. Circulation. 2003; 107: 3109-3116.
- Carolyn kisner, Lynn Allen Colby. Therapeutic Exercise-Foundations &techniques.
- Susan B. O’ Sullivan, Thomas J. Schmits.Physical Rehabilitation-assessment & Treatment.
- BK Mahajan.Methods in Biostatistics.Jaypee; 6th Edition.
- ATS Statement. Guidelines for Cardio respiratory endurance American Journal of Respiratory and critical care medicine. January 15, 2003; 167 2: 211-277.
- ATS Statement. Guidelines for the Six-Minute Walk Test American Journal of Respiratory and critical care medicine July 1, 2002; 166 1: 111-117.
- Niels B. J. Vollaard, Dimitru Constantin-Teodosiu, Katarina Fredriksson Systematic analysis of adaptations in aerobic capacity and submaximal energy metabolism provides a unique insight into determinants of human aerobic performance. Journal of Applied Physiology May 2009 ;106 5 :1479-1480.
- McArdle WD, Katch FI and Katch VL. (2000) Essentials of Exercise
- Physiology: 2nd Edition Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Higginbotham MB, Morris KG, Williams RS, McHale PA, Coleman RE, Cobb FR. Regulation of stroke volume during submaximal and maximal upright exercise in normal man. Circulation. 1986 Feb; 58 2:281-91.
- Hermansen L, Ekblom B, Saltin B. Cardiac output during submaximal and maximal treadmill and bicycle exercise. Journal for Applied Physiology. 1970 Jul; 29 1:82-6.
- Clausen JP. Effects of physical training on cardiovascular adjustments to exercise in man. Physiological Reviews. 1977; 57:779-816
- Kelley GA, Kelley KS, Tran ZV. Aerobic exercise and lipids and lipoproteins in women: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. 2005 Mar; 14 2:198.
- Seamus P. Whelton; Ashley Chin,; Xue Xin et al.Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Blood Pressure. A Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Controlled Trials.Annals of Internal Medicine. April 2, 2002; 136 7: 493-50.
- De Greef MH, Sprenger SR, Elzenga CT. Reliability and validity of a twelve-minute walking test for coronary heart disease patients.Perceptual and Motor Skills.2005 Apr;100(2):567-75.
- Gerald F. Fletcher, Gary J. Balady, Ezra A. Amsterdam. AHA Scientific Statement Exercise Standards for Testing and Training. Circulation. 2001; 104: 1694-1740.
Abstract Views: 243
PDF Views: 27