Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Immediate Effects of Kinesio Taping on Lung Functions, Chest Expansion and Dyspnoea in COPD Patients
Background: Dyspnoea is a major symptom of COPD and an independent predictor of mortality. It is caused by mechanical alterations adapted by shortened or deconditioned musculature.There is insufficient evidenceregarding the efficacy of kinesio taping on the symptoms posed by respiratory conditions like COPD. This study investigates the immediate effects of kinesiology taping done for pectoralis major and rhomboid major, on chest expansion and lung functions along with dyspnoea. Methodology: By convenient sampling, 30 stable COPD patients with mild to moderate stage affection as per GOLD criteria, and having complaints of dyspnoea were randomly divided in two groups. Group A received kinesio taping along with conventional physiotherapy, group B was the control group where only conventional physiotherapy exercises were given twice a day for 3 days. Eligible patients were assessed for their lung functions, chest expansion and dyspnea. Results: Data analysis within the groups as well as between the groups was done using the WINPEPI and PRIMERsoftware.Between groups comparison for lung functions showed significant improvement (p<0.05) for FEV1, FVC and PEFR. Pre and post comparison ofrespiratory rate and SpO2 between the groups showed significant improvement (p<0.05). Conclusion: There was a significant improvement in the experimental group which suggest that kinesio tape application is beneficial in improving lung function and reducing rate of perceived exertion.
COPD, Dyspnoea, Kinesio Taping, Lung Functions, Oxygen Saturation.
- Porter S. Tidy’s Physiotherapy E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2013.
- Global Strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2019 report. Global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease (GOLD). Available online from: https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/GOLD-2019-v1.7-FINAL-14Nov2018-WMS.pdf [Last accessed on 10 May 2019].
- Lorbergs AL, O’Connor GT, Zhou Y, Travison TG, Kiel DP, Cupples LA, Rosen H, Samelson EJ. Severity of kyphosis and decline in lung function: the Framingham study. Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biomedical Sciences and Medical Sciences. 2016 Jun 24;72(5):689-94.
- Mahmood T, Singh RK, Kant S, Shukla AD, Chandra A, Srivastava RK. Prevalence and etiological profile of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in nonsmokers. Lung India: official organ of Indian Chest Society. 2017 Mar;34(2):122.
- Ora J, Calzetta L, Pezzuto G, Senis L, Paone G, Mari A, Portalone S, Rogliani P, Puxeddu E, Saltini C. A 6MWT index to predict O2 flow correcting exercise induced SpO2 desaturation in ILD. Respiratory medicine. 2013 Dec 1;107(12):2014-21.
- Park SJ: The effects of rib cage joint mobilization and threshold inspiratory muscle training applying respiratory function and respiratory activation of stroke patients, Yong-in University Graduate School of Rehabilitation and Welfare, a Master’s degree, 2016.
- Lee MH, Hwangbo G: Effects of the neck stabilizing exercise combined with the respiratory re-education exercise on deep neck flexor thickness, forced vital capacity and peak cough flow in patients with stroke. PhysTher Korea, 2015, 22: 19–29.
- Seo KC, Lee HM, Kim HA. The effects of combination of inspiratory diaphragm exercise and expiratory pursed-lip breathing exercise on pulmonary functions of stroke patients. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2013 Mar 25;25(3):241-4.
- Langendoen J, Sertel K. Kinesiology taping: the essential step-by-step guide: taping for sports, fitness & daily life: 160 conditions & ailments. Robert Rose Incorporated; 2014.
- Daitx RB, dos Santos K, Dohnert MB, da Silva TD, Silva JD. Limited utility of Kinesio Taping® in the physiotherapy treatment for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbation. Physiotherapy theory and practice. 2018 Oct 3;34(10):741-6.
- Williams S, Whatman C, Hume PA, Sheerin K. Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries. Sports medicine. 2012 Feb 1;42(2):153-64.
- Saniye AA, Arzu D, Nihan OP, Elfin S. The effects of kinesio taping applied to diaphragm muscle on aerobic exercise capacity and pulmonary function in sedentary individuals. Anatolian Clinic the Journal of Medical Sciences. 2018 May 23(2): 68-72. https://doi.org/10.21673/anadoluklin.385414
- Mehta GP, Babu VK, Akalwadi A, Kumar SN. Combined effect of PNF stretching with chest mobility exercises on chest expansion and pulmonary functions for elderly. International journal of physiotherapy. 2015 Jun 1;2(3):563-71.
- Serrão JC, Mezêncio B, Claudino JG, Soncin R, Miyashiro PL, Sousa EP, Borges E, Zanetti V, Phillip I, Mochizuki L, Amadio AC. Effect of 3 different applications of Kinesio Taping Denko® on electromyographic activity: inhibition or facilitation of the quadriceps of males during squat Exercise. Journal of sports science & medicine. 2016 Sep;15(3):403.
- Kase K. Clinical therapeutic applications of the Kinesio taping method. Albuquerque. 2003.
Abstract Views: 547
PDF Views: 0