Effectiveness of Reaction Time Training & Physical Exercises on Rt & Quality of Life of Epileptics-A Case Series
Aim: To study Effectiveness of Reaction time training & physical exercises on RT & quality of life of Epileptics- a case series.
Objectives: Finding the effect of RT training & physical exercises on Reaction time (RT) & quality of life (QOL) in Complex partial seizures (CPS)
Methodology: 4 subjects (OPD patients,OT dept KEMH) age 20-40 yrs, of Refractory CPS with or without secondary generalization with atleast three years of period of onset were included in a 4 week study. The Outcome was measured on RT machine, WHO BREF QOL questionnaire, Mini Mental status examination (MMSE) & neurological evaluation. Pre & post intervention changes were assessed with RT machine & WHO BREF QOL questionnaire. The Occupational therapy intervention consisted of 30-45 mins of training on 1) RT simulated machine & activities & 2)physical activities twice a week with home programme.
Results: The (paired) t value of post intervention RT is 4.0691 (significant at p=0.05). The (paired) t values of differences in individual domain scores for physical domain =23.0638 (significant at p=0.001),psychological =5.6949 (significant at p=0.02) & social =3.4762 ((significant at p=0.05). The study suggests a definite avenue for OT intervention in patients with epilepsy.
Conclusion: RT & QOL can be improved using RT training & Physical exercises. However a study has to be done on larger sample size with a longer follow up to confirm the efficacy of the study.
- Rod s. taylor et al predictors of health related QOL & costs in adults with epilepsy: a systematic review. Epilepsia 2011;52(12):2168-2180
- Kevin E. Gordon- to compare the activity profiles of a nationally representative sample of individuals with epilepsy compared to the general population. Epilepsia2010;51(11):2254-2259.
- Ricardo Mario Arida et al’- favorable effects of physical activity for recovery in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsia2010;51(s3):76-79.
- Leidy N.K et al ‘ – seizure frequency & health related QOL of adults with epilepsy.neurology1999;53 (1of2):162-166.
- Sirven J. I, Varrato Jay: physical activity & epilepsy. What are the rules? The physician & sports medicine1999;27(3):63-70.
- Baker G. A et al ‘ QOL of people with epilepsy: a EUROPEAN STUDY. Epilepsia1997;38(3):353-362.
- Karl O. Nakken - does physical exercise influence the occurrence of epileptiform EEG discharges in children? Epilepsia1997;38(3):279-284.
- Bernhard J. Steinhoff et al – leisure time activity & physical fitness in patients with epilepsy. Epilepsia1996;37(12):1221-1227.
- David L. Roth-physical exercise, stressful life experince & depression in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsia1994;35(6):1248-1255.
- K.O Nakken et al - effects of physical training on aerobic capacity, seizure occurence & serum level of AED s in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsia1990;31(1):88-94.
- John A. Collins -: psychosocial well being & epilepsy : an empirical study. Epilepsia1990;31(4):418-426.
- TB of medicine –API, Harrisons & pharmacologyTripathi, TB of psychiatry – Kaplan
- Websites : mathsfun.com, fastballreactiontime.com, gamezone.com were used to modify games(i.e ruler test, card game, basket ball) for simulating RT activities.
- *RTM & RTS has been manufactured by Anand agencies, Pune (India).
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0