Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Cross-Sectional Study to Identify Iliotibial Band Syndrome Causes among Treadmill Runners and Its Impact on Functional Activities
Running causes overuse injuries and ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome) is one of the most common injury. Risk factors of ITBS includes ITB tightness, abductor weakness and biomechanical differences. People using treadmill without ruling out faulty biomechanics leads to ITBS. Objectives: i) To find the causative factor for ITBS among treadmill runners. ii) To find out the impact of ITBS in functional activities among treadmill runners. Methodology: 120 samples fulfilling the selection criteria were included. Age, lateral knee pain, speed of running, number of days running per week, since how many months, for how many minutes were collected. Participants with lateral knee pain were assessed using NCT (Noble compression test). Subjects were assessed with hip abductor strength test, NPT (Navicular position test), TT test (tibial torsion test) and Q angle measurement. Common cause for ITBS among treadmill runners was evaluated. Participants were screened for their functional activity using the LEFS (lower extremity functional scale) and scored accordingly. Result: Mean age calculated is 27.88±3.91 yrs, running since 12.08±5.82 months, for 23.58±4.91 minutes, 4.06±0.8 days a weeks, with a speed of 6.75±0.57 m/sec. 40.83% of the subjects had ITBS due to hip abductor weakness, 15.83% of the subjects had a FF(flat feet) and int.TT while 14.17 % had int.TT. Increased Q angle and ext.TT was found in 9.17%. 5 % had hip abductor weakness and increased Q angle whereas 2.5% of the subjects had all the four components present. The mean score obtained by all the subjects with ITBS in the LEFS scale is 63.12±5.33. Conclusion: Study concludes that hip abductor weakness alone is the major cause of ITBS among treadmill runners. FF and int.TT being second most important cause. Mean score of ITBS in LEFS scale is 63.12±5.33
ITBS, Tibial Torsion, Flat Feet, Hip Abductor Weakness, Q Angle, LEFS Scale.
- Ellis R, Hing W, Reid D. Iliotibial band friction syndrome- a systematic review. Manual therapy. 2007 Aug 1;12(3):2008
- Orchard JW, Fricker PA, Abud AT, and Mason BR. Biomechanics of iliotibial band friction syndrome in runners. The American journal of sports medicine. 1996 May; 24 (3): 375-9 3. Fredericson M, Cookingham CL, Chaudhari AM, Dowdell BC, Oestreicher N, Sahrmann SA. Hip abductor weakness in distance runners with iliotibial band syndrome. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2000 Jul 1;10(3):169-75.
- Fredericson M, Wolf C. Iliotibial band syndrome in runners. Sports Medicine. 2005 May 1;35(5):451-9.
- SieunNarine-McKay J. Evaluation of outcomes in assessment of iliotibial band syndrome rehabilitation programs (Doctoral dissertation, University of British Columbia)
- Saikia S, Tepe R. Etiology, Treatment, and prevention of ITB syndrome: A literature review. Top Integr Health Care. 2013;4(3).
- Fairclough J, Hayashi K, Toumi H, Lyons K, Bydder G, Phillips N, Best TM, Benjamin M. The functional anatomy of the iliotibial band during flexion and extension of the knee: implications for understanding iliotibial band syndrome. Journal of anatomy. 2006 Mar;208(3):309-16.
- Worp MP, Horst N, Wijer A, Backx FJ, Nijhuisvan der Sanden MW. Iliotibial Band Syndrome in Runners. Sports Medicine. 2012;11(42):969-92 9. Hendricks, C, Phillips J. Factors contributing to running injuries, a narrative review
- Mulvad B, Nielsen RO, Lind M, Ramskov D. Diagnoses and time to recovery among injured recreational runners in the run clever trial. PloS one. 2018 Oct 12;13(10):e0204742
- Buist I, Bredeweg SW, Lemmink KA, Van Mechelen W, Diercks RL. Predictors of runningrelated injuries in novice runners enrolled in a systematic training program: a prospective cohort study. The American journal of sports medicine. 2010 Feb;38 (2): 273-80.
- Taunton JE, Ryan MB, Clement DB, McKenzie DC, Lloyd-Smith DR, Zumbo BD. A prospectivestudy of running injuries: the Vancouver Sun Run “In Training” clinics. British journal of sports medicine. 2003 Jun 1;37(3):23944
- Kluitenberg B, van Middelkoop M, Diercks RL, Hartgens F, Verhagen E, Smits DW, Buist I, van der Wrop H. The NLstart2run study: health effects of a running promotion program in novoice runners, design of a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2013 Dec;13(1):685
- Videbæk S, Bueno AM, Nielsen RO, Rasmussen S. Incidence of running-related injuries per 1000 h of running in different types of runners: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports medicine. 2015 Jul 1;45(7):1017-26.
- Mulvad B, Nielsen RO, Lind M, Ramskov D. Diagnoses and time to recovery among injured recreational runners in the run clever trial. PloS one. 2018 Oct 12;13(10):e0204742.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 0