Comparison of Immidiate Effect of Hold-Relax Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation and Foam Roller Exercise on Tight Hamstring Muscle in School Going Children”–An Experimental Study
Context: Hamstring tightness occurs in early childhood and tends to increase with age. Hold-relax PNF technique and foam roller exercise technique are used to improve flexibility of hamstring muscle.
Aim: Comparison of immidiate effect of hold-relax proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation and foam roller exercise on tight hamstring muscle in school going children.
Settings and Design: The interventional study was carried out in various primary schools of Aburoad.
Method and Material: 60 subjects were included on the basis of inclusion and exclusion criteria and divided into 2 groups with 30 participants in each group. One group received hold-relax PNF and other group received foam roller exercise.
Statistical analysis: Data was analyzed by using SPSS version 20. Wilcoxon signed-rank test was used for the pre treatment and post treatment comparison within both the groups and Mann-Whitney U test was used for the inter group comparison.
Results: Statistically is significant(p<0.05) the result showed high significant diffrence within and between the two groups. There was more effect of hold-relax PNF technique compared to foam roller exercise.
Conclusion: The above study concluded that both the technique showed marked improvement but holdrelax PNF more effective in school going children with hamstring tightness.
- Bhoir T, Deepak B, Anap. Indian Journal Of Physical Therapy, Immediate Effect Of Mulligan Bent Leg Raise Technique Versus Self Myofacial Release On Hamstring Tightness In Young Adults-A Randomized Control Trial indian Journal Of Physical Therapy. 2016;4(1):47-5.
- Fatima G, Qamar MM, Hassan JU, Basharat A. Extended sitting can cause hamstring tightness. Saudi Journal of Sports Medicine. 2017 May 1;17(2):110.
- Shakya N, Manandhar S. Prevalence Of Hamstring Muscle Tightness Among Undergraduate Physiotherapy Students Of Nepal Using Passive Knee Extension Angle Test. International Journal Of Scientific And Research Publication. 2018;8(1)182-6.
- Sharma P, dhingra S, comparison of bent leg raise technique with hold relax in improving hamstring flexibility in young adults. 2017;7(6) 160-167.
- S. Lakshmi Narayan, Textbook Of Therapeutic Exercises, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, page no:40; 2005.
- Shepherd E, Winter S, Gordon S. Comparing hamstring muscle length measurements of the traditional active knee extension test and a functional hamstring flexibility test. Physiother Rehabil. 2017;2(01):2573-0312.
- Deguzman L, Flanagan SP, Stecyk S, Montgomery MM. The Immediate Effects of Self-administered Dynamic Warm-up, Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation, and Foam Rolling on Hamstring Tightness. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. 2018 May 16;10(3):108-16.
- Ramachandran S, N Senthilkumar, S Sudhakar. Comparative Effect Of Pnf Stretching Techniques On Hamstring Flexibility. International Journal Of Medical And Exercise Science. 2018;4(1)443-4.
- Wicke J, Gainey K, Figueroa M. A comparison of self-administered proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation to static stretching on range of motion and flexibility. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2014 Jan 1;28(1):168-72.
Abstract Views: 7
PDF Views: 0