A Study to Compare the Effect of Inverse Ratio Breathing and Diaphragmatic Breathing on Pulmonary Functions in Obese Female–An Interventional Study
INTRODUCTION: Obesity has becomes a major public health concern in many parts of the world. Obese individual have alteration in respiratory mechanics, decreased chest wall and lung compliance, decreased respiratory muscle strength and endurance, decreased pulmonary gaseous exchange and limitation in exercise capacity. In Inverse ratio breathing, the ratio of inspiration to expiration becomes 2:1, While diaphragmatic breathing involves slow and rhythmic breathing.
AIM OF THE STUDY: To compare the effect of inverse ratio breathing and diaphragmatic breathing on pulmonary functions in obese female.
METHOD: This study was carried out in and around Rajkot city. Subjects who fulfil exclusion and inclusion criteria were selected by purposive sampling and were assigned to group A and group B by simple random sampling .They were explained about the study, its usefulness and written consent were taken.30 subjects were divide into two Groups :Group A: 15 subjects were given diaphragmatic breathing, Group B: 15 subjects were given inverse ratio breathing.
DATA ANALYSIS: Data were analysed using SPSS 20 software by applying Paired and Unpaired t-test.
RESULT: Pre-treatment and post-treatment FVC, FEV1 and FEV1/FVC ratio were analysed, it was statistically significant (P value < 0.05) in both the group but when comparison was done between two groups, it was statistically non-significant (P value > 0.05).
OUTCOME MEASURE: FVC, FEV1 and FEV1/FVC ratio.
CONCLUSION: Inverse ratio breathing and Diaphragmatic breathing both were effective in improving pulmonary functions in Obese female after performing breathing techniques for consecutive 3 days (once a day). But there was no significant difference between the two Groups in improving pulmonary function in obese female.
- Yogesh saxena, Brijesh purwar and Rashi upmanyu. Adiosity: Determinent of PEFR in young Indian adult male. The Indian journal of chest disease and allied science. 2011;53:30.
- Sanjay kalra, A G Unnikrishnan. Obesity in India :The weight of nation. Journal of Medical nutrition and nutraceuticals. january 2016;1:38-39
- K Parmeshwaran, David Todd, Mark soth. Altered respiratory physiology in obesity. Can respire J 2006;13(4):203
- Jitendra Gouda, Ranjan Kumar. Obesity and Overweight among women by economic stratum in urban population. International institute for population science. March 2014;32(1)81-83.
- K Soundariya, N Neelambikai. Influence of anthropometric indices on the pulmonary function test in young individual 2013. World journal of medical science 2013;9(3):157-161.
- Zing WP, Zhu SM. The effect of Inverse ratio ventilation with PEEP on respiratory function and inflammatory cytokines in patient during one-lung surgery. The journal of pulmonary and respiratory medicine. 2016;6(2):1-6.
- Arunima data, Oona mandal, Srila ghosh choudhary, Debjani chokrobati. Effect of Central adiposity on lung function test in young adult. IOSR journal of dental and medical science. 2015;14(8):24-28
- W.P. Zhang, SM zhu. Effect of inverse ratio ventilation on cardiopulmonary function and inflammatory cytokine of bronchoaveolar lavage in obese person undergoing gynecological laparoscopy. Acta anesthesiologica taiwanica. 2016;54:1-6.
- Karina M, Cancelliero-Gaiad, Daniela lke, Camila B.F. pantoni, Audrey borghi-silva, Dirceu costa. Respiratory pattern of Diaphragmatic breathing and pilates breathing in copd subjects. Brazilian journal of physical therapy.2014;18(4):291-299.
- Barcelar JDE, Aliverti a melo, Dornelas cs, Reinaux CM, de Andrade AD. Chest wall regional volumes in obese women. Respir Physiol Neurobil. 2013;189:167.
- Wong DY, Feng k, Chen L, Zu sy, Han SM, Zhu GJ. The relationship between body fat percentage, waist to hip ratio and pulmonary ventilation function among the adult females in Heilongjiang. Zhonghua yu fang yi xue za zhi. 2008;44(8):706.
- Dayananda G. Effect of obesity on lung functions. JPBS.2009;22(2)17-20.
- Yogesh saxena, Girish sidwani, Rashi upmanyu. Abdominal obesity and pulmonary functions in young Indian adult. Indian J physiol Pharmacol. 2009;53(4)318-326.
- Al bdar WR, J Ramadan, Nasr eldin, M Barac Nieto. Pulmonary ventilator function and obesity in Kuwait. Medical principal and practice. 2008;17:20-26.
- Ceylan E, Comlekci A, Akkoclu A, Ceylan C, Itil O, Ergor G, Yesil S. The effect of body fat distribution on pulmonary function test in the overweight and Obese. Respir physiol neurobiol. Oct 2013;189(1):167.
- Sunitha G, Ravi BN. Effect of deep breathing on respiratory parameters in healthy young individual. Journal of Evolution of medical and dental science. May 2013;19(2):3309.
- Sheetal panwar, Ashutosh chourishi, Jayant makwana. Effect of pranayama on pulmonary function test in healthy young students. International journal of pharma and bio-science. Oct 2012;3(4):B 12-16.
- Syed N, Sukhvinder G, Prem V. Effect of diaphragmatic breathing exercise on quality of life in subjects with asthma. Physical medicine and rehabilitation-international. 2016;3(6):1-6.
- Elizabeth Zavala, Miguel ferrer, Guido polese, Joan Ramon Mascians, Merce planas, Joseph milic-emili, Robert rodriguez-rosin, Joseph roca, Andrea rossi. Effect of inverse ratio ventilation on pulmonary gas exchange in acute respiratory distress syndrome. American society of anesthesiologist. 1998;88:35-42.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0