Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription Access
Open Access Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Restricted Access Subscription Access

Prevalence of Goiter and its Association with Consumption of Iodized Salt among School Children, in a Rural Area, Tamilnadu


Affiliations
1 Post Graduate, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
2 Professor and Head, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
3 Associate Professor, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
     

   Subscribe/Renew Journal


Background: Iodine Deficiency Disorders is a significant public health problem all over the world.Iodine is essential element for thyroid function, necessary for normal growth, development and functioning of brain and body. Objectives: To estimate the prevalence of goiter among school children and to assess the prevalence of useof iodized salt. Material and Methods: A Cross sectional study conducted among Children between 6-12 years of agein Mappedu area.A pre-tested questionnaire, Rapid test kit to find iodine content of salt and clinical examination to assess goitre was done for the study subjects.The sample size calculated was120. Dataanalysis: Proportions and chi-square was used for analysis. Results: 65% were using iodized salt and remaining 35% were using non-iodised salt.The prevalence of goiter was found to be 17(14.2%). Conclusion: One-third of children and their family were not consuming adequately iodized salt. The consumption of iodized salt is still less in the community and Iodine Deficiency Disorders continue to be a public health problem.


Keywords

IDD, Goiter, Iodized Salt, Rapid test kit
Subscription Login to verify subscription
User
Notifications
Font Size


Abstract Views: 29

PDF Views: 0




  • Prevalence of Goiter and its Association with Consumption of Iodized Salt among School Children, in a Rural Area, Tamilnadu

Abstract Views: 29  |  PDF Views: 0

Authors

Jayashri D.
Post Graduate, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
Charumathi B.
Post Graduate, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
Timsi Jain
Professor and Head, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
Gomathy Parasuraman
Associate Professor, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India
Ruma Dutta
Associate Professor, Department of Community Medicine, Saveetha Medical College Hospital, Thandalam, Kanchipuram District, India

Abstract


Background: Iodine Deficiency Disorders is a significant public health problem all over the world.Iodine is essential element for thyroid function, necessary for normal growth, development and functioning of brain and body. Objectives: To estimate the prevalence of goiter among school children and to assess the prevalence of useof iodized salt. Material and Methods: A Cross sectional study conducted among Children between 6-12 years of agein Mappedu area.A pre-tested questionnaire, Rapid test kit to find iodine content of salt and clinical examination to assess goitre was done for the study subjects.The sample size calculated was120. Dataanalysis: Proportions and chi-square was used for analysis. Results: 65% were using iodized salt and remaining 35% were using non-iodised salt.The prevalence of goiter was found to be 17(14.2%). Conclusion: One-third of children and their family were not consuming adequately iodized salt. The consumption of iodized salt is still less in the community and Iodine Deficiency Disorders continue to be a public health problem.


Keywords


IDD, Goiter, Iodized Salt, Rapid test kit



DOI: https://doi.org/10.37506/v11%2Fi1%2F2020%2Fijphrd%2F193927