Open Access Subscription Access
Revival of Public Service Advertising through Unconventional Mediums
It is time advertising saved the world with innovation and creativity. People around the globe are now alarmed and are aware about the constant degradation of the environment and increase in other social problems. People across the globe are willing to put in their efforts for social and environmental causes. This change of attitude in consumers' approach has prompted advertisers and agencies to take a leap forward by helping consumers to contribute to a good cause in the most appropriate and interesting ways. By doing this, brands/organizations can rebuild strong connections and trust with the audience. Advertisers and NGOs today are very much familiar with the fact that the warning messages in TV commercials, hard-hitting headlines of daily adverts, and brilliantly made radio spots for public service messages can no longer lift up the spirits of the people. They also believe that nowadays, warning messages about social issues given by the conventional media can hardly get the desired response due to many reasons; therefore, the results are not pleasing. After observing the growing levels of social awareness and behavioral change in the present day consumers, advertisers have now decided to do something different on a social side to catch the attention of their consumers, and at the same time, do their bit for a good cause. Advertisers are now coming up with unconventional ways to make a difference and are also hiring renowned creative firms for their brands to do something innovative and productive for the present world. Hence, it is now up to brands and organizations to prove that they deserve to be trusted by the consumers, as it is high time for them to think about how they can add value to people's lives.
Public Service Advertising, Pro Bono, Traditional or Conventional Advertising, Unconventional Advertising, Social Marketing
- Ad Age (2007, November 29). The children of Kashmir are freezing: And UNICEF finds just the place to remind people of that. Retrieved from http://adage.com/article/media-idea-of-the-week/children-kashmir-freezing/122292/
- Ads of the World (2013). Levi Strauss: Care tag for our planet. Retrieved from http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/levi_strauss_care_tag_for_our_planet
- A Girl Story (n.d.). FAQ. Retrieved from http://www.agirlstory.org/faq.php
- Cassis, F.P. (2011, December 19). Just buckle it. Retrieved from http://www.behance.net/gallery/Carabineros-de-Chile-Seatbelt-campaign-Guerrilla/737745
- Dr Prem's Marketing Guide & Blog (n.d.). UNICEF: The children of Kashmir are freezing. Retrieved from http://www.adpunch.org/unicef-the-children-of-kashmir-are-freezing.html
- Earth Hour (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved on July 19, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Hour
- Earth Hour 60 + (n.d.). Earth Hour FAQs. Retrieved from http://www.earthhour.org/page/media-centre/faqs
- Fuse Project (n.d.). Clever little bag by Puma. Retrieved from http://www.fuseproject.com/products-47.
- Goodwill, B. (n.d.). PSA Bibliography. Retrieved from http://www.psaresearch.com/bib9830.html
- Good to be Green (2010, March 27). Turn out the lights, it's earth hour! [video file]. Retrieved from http://g2bgreen.com/category/earth-hour.
- I Believe in Adv (2011, July 9). The Worlds's Biggest Hug (Conselho Nacional Do Sesi). [video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/2011/07/conselho-nacional-do-sesi-the-worlds-biggest-hug/.
- Kolster, T. (2012), Goodvertising: Creating advertising that cares. London: Thames & Hudson.
- Levi Strauss & Co. (2010, January 25). A care tag for our planet: Levi's® care tags promote donating to goodwill [press release]. Retrieved from http://www.levistrauss.com/news/press-releases/care-tag-our-planet-levi-s-care-tags-promote-donating-goodwill-1-25-10
- Littleredrobots (2012, April 27). “A girl story” case study [video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VagaovmcV5c.
- Public service announcement (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved on July 19, 2013, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_service_announcement
- Spikes Asia (2011). Winners & Shortlists -2011- Media. Retrieved from http://www.spikes.asia/winners/2011/media/entry.cfm?entryid=434
- The Design Inspiration (n.d.). 35 creative and effective public interest ads. Retrieved from http://thedesigninspiration.com/articles/35-creative-and-effective-public-interest-ads/
- This is not ADVERTISING (2011, November 24). Solar power billboard. Retrieved from http://thisisnotadvertising.wordpress.com/tag/network-bbdo
- The Sydney Morning Hearld (2012, April 1). World landmarks dimmed for Earth Hour. Retrieved from http://www.smh.com.au/
- Zacharoff, M. (2013). Blind car. Retrieved from http://weloveviral.blogspot.in/2011/06/dont-drink-and-drive-blind-car.html
Abstract Views: 520