A Case of Corpus Callosum Agenesis Presenting with Recurrent Brief Depression
Agenesis of Corpus callosum can have various neuropsychiatric manifestations.
Following case report highlights a young a man presenting with features of recurrent brief depressive disorder each lasting for about three to seven days for over a year. He had history of occasional headache and episodes of swooning attack in between usually precipitated by emotional events. His neuroimaging revealed the agenesis of corpus callosum. He was experiencing swooning attacks as he got aware that some 'unusual' findings were present in his reports.
Recurrent brief depression can be a manifestation of this congenital anomaly and Conversion disorder can be present as comorbid diagnosis perhaps due to ignorance and fear for this apparently innocuous congenital malformation.
- Barkovich AJ, Norman D. Anomalies of the Corpus Callosum: correlation with further anomalies of the brain. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1988; 9:493-501.
- Jeret JS, Serur D, Wisniewski KE. Clinicopathological findings associated with agenesis of the corpus callosum. Brain Dev. 1987; 9:255-64.
- Badaruddin DH, Andrews GL, Bölte S, Schilmoeller KJ, Schilmoeller G, Paul LK, Brown WS. Social and behavioral problems of children with agenesis of the corpus callosum. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2007;38:287-302.
- David AS, Wacharasindhu A, Lishman WA. Severe psychiatric disturbance and abnormalities of the corpus callosum: review and case series. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1993;56:85-93.
- McCrea SM. Bipolar disorder and neurophysiologic mechanisms. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2008;4:1129-53.
- McGrath JJ, Richards LJ. Why schizophrenia epidemiology needs neurobiology--and vice versa. Schizophr Bull. 2009;35:577-81.
- Galdós M, Martínez R, Prats JM. Clinical outcome of distinct Aicardi syndrome phenotypes. Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol. 2008;83:29-36.
- Doherty D, Tu S, Schilmoeller K, Schilmoeller G. Healthrelated issues in individuals with agenesis of the corpus callosum. Child Care Health Dev. 2006;32:333-42.
- Bossy JG. Morphological study of a case of complete, isolated, and asymptomatic agenesis of the corpus callosum. Arch Anat Histol Embryol. 1970;53:289-340.
- Lövdahl H, Andersson S, Hynnekleiv T, Malt UF. The phenomenology of recurrent brief depression with and without hypomanic features. J Affect Disord. 2009; 112: 151-64.
Abstract Views: 184
PDF Views: 0